Spanish import 3 1/2 project.

Show us your projects and restorations
Chips1953

Spanish import 3 1/2 project.

Post by Chips1953 »

This is my 3rd project of a Morini and I must say I'm looking forward to it.
It's a 1983 3 1/2 which seems to be all there, I've had some advice from members to say it's not too bad.
Electric start, which did work when I picked it up but now drags.
The main reason for getting it is to take it to the Rally De Colombres in the Autumn. I was going last year but things didn't plan out and I know the Scottish lads who went had a great time. Last year I rebuilt my CBX750 FE for the job, but I think a little Morini would be better suited.
Underneath the paintwork which is showing at present is Silver, which will go with my 125H. I have a few questions about the bike though if I may.
The headlight is Square, not oblong, really square. The wiring to it is identical to my 125H with the same positioning of the connectors and the same connector strip. It seems genuine but I have never seen one before. Could it be correct?
It has 55km on the clock and seems to start well well with no smoke and no rattles. In fact it's a lot easier to kick up than my Camel 501.
Any views on the machine would be welcome.
I managed to do the NOVA without any problems, so let's go.
Attachments
IMG_0088.jpg
IMG_0088.jpg (189.77 KiB) Viewed 24931 times
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
Chips1953

Re: Spanish import 3 1/2 project.

Post by Chips1953 »

I am well on the way with the project but have a few questions if anybody out there in the forum can help.
I have had the cover off the motor and find that there is significant play on the lower pulley of the cam belt from the the crank. It looks like at some time there has been a serious problem because the end is well chewed and the groove for the circlip is almost gone. Reading up on the removal of the lower pull it appears the once it is done and a new one installed the punched dot has to be re made, to allow for correct timing.
Has anybody done this please and could tell me if this is the case?
I presume the lower pulley is still available?

I had a thought that if the crank doesn't move, and I set a pair of compasses on the pulley faces, as per the special tool then I could select the correct woodruff key slot without re timing.

Thanks.
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Hi George, yes you're right about lining the pulley up. I isn't that difficult, the manual shows you how to align one of the inner splines to the key. Had to do it a couple of times myself. One of my original pulleys was loose like yours and yes NLM do a replacement. Mine was a blooming tight fit on the crank and needed easing a little to get a sensible fit. It's normal to need the special washer and a puller to get them off, if it moves too easily it's too loose!
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

Thanks Steve. I get onto NLM in the morning. Very helpful.
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

I should point out that a rear drum brake is not original spec for an '83 bike but that seat unit/tank and sidepanel is correct. No major deal, anyway. I have what is likely an '82 but registered in '83, what's your frame number?
Cheers,
DD
MRC 3082½
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

Daddy Dom wrote:I should point out that a rear drum brake is not original spec for an '83 bike but that seat unit/tank and sidepanel is correct. No major deal, anyway. I have what is likely an '82 but registered in '83, what's your frame number?
Cheers,
DD
OK, that's of interest to me. The Spanish "title" says that the Registration Date is 08.09.1983.
The frame has K *23512* and DGM-19553-OM and the motor has *23512* stamped on the left hand casing in towards the front of the cylinder. The "Title" also has K-23512 on it.

Hope that helps to identify the beast.

Thanks.
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Who knows? The K1 had discs all round, maybe.... the drum would be an earlier K, maybe, the swinging arm would have been different. No knowing if the rear was standard, but bodywork looks later.... just love the 'not knowing'........

Does it have twin discs on the front? Could be a clue if single disc....

All standard parts so not a real problem.....
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

MickeyMoto wrote:Who knows? The K1 had discs all round, maybe.... the drum would be an earlier K, maybe, the swinging arm would have been different. No knowing if the rear was standard, but bodywork looks later.... just love the 'not knowing'........

Does it have twin discs on the front? Could be a clue if single disc....

All standard parts so not a real problem.....
The bike has a single disc at the front but both forks are equipped to take a disc.

I also find it intriguing that they are "Heinz 57" varieties. It's the square headlight that seems to be very 1980's. If it is original?
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

Okay, my frame and engine numbers are K23313 so, bearing in mind this is not an exact science, that makes some dating sense. The DGM is also the same.

Are your barrels marked "Gilardoni?" Mine are but according to the Mick Walker book (p80) these were introduced with the later K2, so ... yeah ...

My gold (actually, babysh*t) Grimeca wheels are stamped 1982, yours are silver, which speak to me of something earlier but could have been refinished and anyway should also be date-stamped. Also, 350s I've seen with your bodywork were using black exhausts by this stage and yours are chrome; the Sport frames are red, don't know about Stradas. Any clear evidence of repainting? Also, is your framed slightly kinked by the front exhaust pipe?

My model is known by NLM - who can tell you more than I - as a 3FD, which is shorthand for triple-disc in Italian. (Tre Freni Dischi.) So, does your frame have any lugs for a rear master-cylinder down between the 3½ badge and the rear shock in your picture?

So no biggies, just a bit o' Sherlock. Maybe someone lost it once round the 1000 Curves and rebuilt it back to roadworthiness using available parts? Headlamps were definitely rectangular, not square. Mine's now round. :?

Cheers,
DD
MRC 3082½
norbert

Post by norbert »

To me the seat/tail belongs to a K1, the front mudgard looks like a K. One pint on a 1982 K Touring!
They had the frames black. I´ve got a black and white foto (page 101 in the fantastic book from Fabio Ferrario) and there is this tail, one disc, drumbrake in the back and the mudgard of a K. I think all Touring had the grimeca wheels silver/grey. Isn´t it like that, that only the sport ones are golden? This bike does not have any paintings, lines, so it will be dificult to know the year.

My Rocinante is a K Spot first registration 04/1981, Frame number K19523

ciao
norbert
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

norbert wrote:To me the seat/tail belongs to a K1, the front mudgard looks like a K. One pint on a 1982 K Touring!
They had the frames black. I´ve got a black and white foto (page 101 in the fantastic book from Fabio Ferrario) and there is this tail, one disc, drumbrake in the back and the mudgard of a K. I think all Touring had the grimeca wheels silver/grey. Isn´t it like that, that only the sport ones are golden? This bike does not have any paintings, lines, so it will be dificult to know the year.

My Rocinante is a K Spot first registration 04/1981, Frame number K19523

ciao
norbert

The bike was originally silver. That is for definite as it's still that under the pink metallic that it is at the moment. It has a kink in the frame and the frame was always black unless it has been blasted and re painted, but it does not appear to be the case. The swing arm was loose on the bushes and the bushes were steel. I have put Bronze bushes fro NLM into it now with a new shaft. It looks to me that it has never been off before. Silver wheels as you say so we can safely say it is a Moto Morini!

Thanks for everyones interest.

cheers.
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

Chips1953 wrote: The swing arm was loose on the bushes and the bushes were steel.
The originals are cast Iron, a compatible bearing material with the hardened pin if regularly lubricated.

I use PTFE these days with a Stainless pin. Maintenance free setup.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

EVguru wrote:
Chips1953 wrote: The swing arm was loose on the bushes and the bushes were steel.
The originals are cast Iron, a compatible bearing material with the hardened pin if regularly lubricated.

I use PTFE these days with a Stainless pin. Maintenance free setup.

I noticed that from a previous post of yours, but it seems NLM don't sell them. I used PTFE from NLM for my Camel 501 but they don't do these either anymore. Where are they available from, please?

Cheers.
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

Chips1953 wrote:I noticed that from a previous post of yours, but it seems NLM don't sell them. I used PTFE from NLM for my Camel 501 but they don't do these either anymore. Where are they available from, please?

Cheers.
Me, when I can be bothered to make them.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

MOT today, all well.
Registration to be sent tomorrow, then I can finish the cosmetics.
Final pics to be sent, when complete.
Attachments
IMG_2506.jpg
IMG_2506.jpg (198.91 KiB) Viewed 24314 times
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965