Historic Vehicle Tax

Anything to do with motorcyles
Ralph

Historic Vehicle Tax

Post by Ralph »

I posted this in another thread but thought a new thread for anyone interested would be worth wile.

Took Log book V10 and MOT to post office today with changes to Historic Vehicle completed
on log book details were entered in computer and free tax issued within min's log book
was retained by post office to be sent to Swansea a new one with historic vehicle should
arrive in a week or two bike now on free tax. Post office said they did not need the V10
the government site said they did but it would not be sent to them and you can download and
print the V10 so a painless process and free tax if your bike was registered before 7-1-1976 they
allow 7 days as the actual day that matters is the build date.

:D
Ralph
1975 Strada 3 1/2
Knott End NW UK

Image Image
RedVee

Re: Historic Vehicle Tax

Post by RedVee »

Assuming this is a rolling 40 years, I'd better make a note in my diary for next year! :D
Morinis & Motorcycles - Is there anything else?
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Beware the Ides of March!

There is a debate over whether in future years a historic vehicle will be heavily restricted in it's usage. This happens in some countries. Organised runs only, no general use, no Bank Holiday or Sunday use.

Mike.
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

MickeyMoto wrote:Beware the Ides of March!

There is a debate over whether in future years a historic vehicle will be heavily restricted in it's usage. This happens in some countries. Organised runs only, no general use, no Bank Holiday or Sunday use.

Mike.
Who knows, depends on who offers the best bribes, sorry lobbying to politicians.
Ralph
1975 Strada 3 1/2
Knott End NW UK

Image Image
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

MAG have Lemsip Nosepick on the job. One politician to another! :)
buzby

Post by buzby »

Ralph wrote:I posted this in another thread but thought a new thread for anyone interested would be worth wile.

Took Log book V10 and MOT to post office today with changes to Historic Vehicle completed
on log book details were entered in computer and free tax issued within min's log book
was retained by post office to be sent to Swansea a new one with historic vehicle should
arrive in a week or two bike now on free tax. Post office said they did not need the V10
the government site said they did but it would not be sent to them and you can download and
print the V10 so a painless process and free tax if your bike was registered before 7-1-1976 they
allow 7 days as the actual day that matters is the build date.

:D
Thanks for posting this, I wish I had read this before making a frustrating visit to the Post Office. No Surprise , I suppose, that no one there knew anything about the pre 1976 rule and how you go about changing the taxation class.
A phone call to the DVLA was then made by me to clarify this process and confirm that it is 1976 .
David
75 350 Strada, 76 350 Strada, 76 350 Sport. 80 250 vee, 72 Triumph TR5T and 81 Honda CB250RS
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

I don't know what counts as proof these days but it is the build date that matters, so if you have a bike that
sat around in a show room or was not registered for some other reason and you can prove the build date
is before 1976 then you can get free road tax.
Ralph
1975 Strada 3 1/2
Knott End NW UK

Image Image
buzby

Post by buzby »

Some years ago when I registered my 1948 AJS, a letter from the AJS & Matchless Owners club dating officer confirming the frame and engine number as being from 1948 was good enough for the DVLA
David
75 350 Strada, 76 350 Strada, 76 350 Sport. 80 250 vee, 72 Triumph TR5T and 81 Honda CB250RS