Another project!

Maestro, SEI-V
penman

Re: Another project!

Post by penman »

By way of an update. I took a run up to NLM yesterday and picked up a set of starter brushes, which I fitted later. They are quite a fiddle to fit. The wire braids on the new brushes are a fraction longer (just a couple of mm) and the terminal tags are also a bit longer. This makes it quite difficult to position the tags so that they don't foul the bell end cap or the two long clamp bolts. In addition, you need to take care that the copper braid doesn't contact the brush plate - on two of the brushes it doesn't matter, but the other two need to be insulated from the brush plate. Whew! glad to see it back in one piece, and to see it spinning smoothly and quietly!

I also fitted a new timing belt and had a clean-up in that area, so it is beginning to feel as if things are coming together a bit. The primary side cover is freshly painted and is currently in the low-bake oven (i.e. balanced on top of a radiator). I find after 24 hours, the paint is well cured and durable.
1984 Moto Guzzi V65
1969 Honda CB450
1975 Triumph T160 Trident
2019 BMW F750GS Sport
1978 Morini 500
penman

Post by penman »

Now here's a funny thing! Having reassembled the primary and also the r/h cover as far as I can until I can get new starter clutch shoes, I decided to have an initial look at the state of the electrics and here's the first thing I found:

Two automotive-type relays have been wired in and were cable-tied into the wiring. A quick bit of tracing wires and one relay comes in when the ignition switch is turned on, and feeds everything except the winkers. The other one feeds the winkers and is operated by the winker switch. Each relay has its own fuse and the job has been quite neatly done by someone who clearly knew what they were doing, leaving just one question - why?? This bike has no heavy electrical loads or long cable runs, so I just can't see a need for these relays. It all works fine, but at the moment these relays just look like something else to go wrong, I'm very tempted to put it back to standard wiring - unless anyone can see a compelling reason to keep it like this? This is certainly one of the more unusual inheritances from a previous owner!

By the way, I phoned three different places about having my starter shoes relined and the best quote was £60 including postage and VAT. I've now left them with NLM who will do them for £39 +VAT - still expensive, but I've no real choice. I reassembled the starter mechanism with new chain - there are 40 links, including the split link, in case anyone needs to know and it is a standard size chain. My chain breaker didn't fit it though, and neither did a bicycle chain breaker, so I had to knock out a rivet with a punch - not a very "nice" way to do it, but it got the job done. If I have to do that again, I'll make a little tool to press the rivet out with a vice. Oh, and on the subject of tools, I was a bit miffed to find that the seal protector I made for the clutch centre oil seal on the 350 doesn't fit the 500 and had to be modified - so now it doesn't fit the 350....
1984 Moto Guzzi V65
1969 Honda CB450
2019 BMW F750GS Sport
1978 Morini 500
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Can't see the point here. Still get a loss through the light switch. I'd use the relays to power the lights.
-------------------------------------------------------

Mike.
penman

Post by penman »

After another closer look at the wiring, one relay is beginning to make sense. On my 350 K2, the winkers have 8W bulbs, not very bright. This one has a similar winker unit, but it has 21W bulbs, which are nice and bright. The original winker unit just switches the relay, which then takes the load of the 21W bulbs. I must say this is a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut, but at least I understand the reasoning. Actually, I'm a bit surprised that the winker unit works with such a small load as it now has, but it seems fine. I won't keep it like this though, I do like the brighter winkers, so I'll either put the wiring back to normal but fit a winker unit capable of handling the load, or I may fit a set of Paul Goff's rather pricey but very bright LED winker bulbs.

On to other things. I removed the front wheel in preparation for servicing the forks - I got about 8 drips of oil from one leg and about 3 from the other, so it's unlikely the seals are in good shape. Any recommendations on grade of fork oil to use? Thanks!

The front wheel doesn't exactly spin freely, it feels as if it has bearings with square balls, so I've ordered new sealed bearings for front and rear - after seeing the front, I'll never trust the rear ones even though it does seem to turn freely. All the brake discs seem to be in poor shape, I don't know if this is typical. They appear to have been quite thickly chromed, but the chrome has given up in various places and the discs are quite scored where the chrome has gone. I've cleaned them up and I think they'll pass MOT, which thankfully takes no account of appearance. They will need replacing pretty soon though, but I can't find any on eBay, so I'm guessing they are scarce and probably expensive. I suppose that's another call to NLM!
1984 Moto Guzzi V65
1969 Honda CB450
2019 BMW F750GS Sport
1978 Morini 500
Ming

Post by Ming »

Wasn't Tom (NL) selling some discs a few days ago?
I have used ATF in most of my forks for 30 odd years with no problems, it's about 10W and works fine (for me).
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

I tend to use Castrol 10W and find it OK. I did use 5W once and the MOT man made a comment about being a bit soft....
penman

Post by penman »

Thanks for the recommendation on fork oil, I'll go with 10W grade and see how I get on. There was a little more oil in the forks when I dismantled them, not much though, so I've replaced the seals and given everything a good clean. It was also an opportunity to polish the fork legs which were looking a bit sorry for themselves.

I removd the relays from the bike and returned the wiring to normal. As expected, the winker unit didn't like the 21W bulbs and flashed very quickly. I haven't decided what to do longer term, but at the moment it has an old Lucas flasher unit I had and that's working fine. I may even leave it like that.

I've decided to live with the brake discs for the time being unless they don't work satisfactorily, this project is costing enough!

Next thing to tackle is the back wheel, chain, brake, bearings and the rear shocks, all of which look a bit tired.
1984 Moto Guzzi V65
1969 Honda CB450
2019 BMW F750GS Sport
1978 Morini 500
norbert

Post by norbert »

I use SAE 15 in my fork, but I think that´s a question of individual taste.

On my disks there is very little chrome left, but they still work fine. After rainy night they don´t loo very nice, but after braking two times the rust will be gone :wink:

norbert
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

As I've pointed out a number of times, the SAE viscocity ratings are very sloppy and for example one manufacturers 5W fork oil can actually be thicker than anothers' 10W.

Pick one manufacturer, preferably one whom publishes data for their oil with an actual viscocity rating (Centistokes for example). That way you know that if you want more damping, the next number up is actually going to give you the effect you want.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
penman

Post by penman »

OK, it looks as if the bike has exploded but in fact I have made a lot of progress here! Carbs cleaned and serviced and back on, front forks serviced, re-filled and back together, lots of repairs to wiring, new headlamp unit, new timing belt, primary rebuilt with new oil seals etc. Clutch rebuilt. Starter rebuilt with new bearing and brushes. Starter clutch shoes relined (horribly expensive!). New starter drive chain. New r/h engine cover (thanks Paul!). Lots of re-painting.

I had a trip up to NLM this morning to collect the following:

Starter clutch shoes re-lined.

Front wheel re-powder coated - looks fabulous!

Back wheel ditto!

Now I'll be afraid to put bearings in the wheels in case I scratch them!

Frustratingly I haven't time to do any work on this today or tomorrow, but I hope to post a more bike-like photo over the weekend. I also hope to try to start it at last....
1984 Moto Guzzi V65
1969 Honda CB450
2019 BMW F750GS Sport
1978 Morini 500