2C Slow progress

250 2c- the Wee-WeeVees
Ming

2C Slow progress

Post by Ming »

I've just got the 'Historic Vehicle' documents for my 2C, so it jumps to the top of the to do list.
I could do with some photos of the foot-control layout if any of you have them. The ones that came with the bike had been 'cut and shut' with some dubious welding to make them into rearsets so I need to see if I can reweld them or whether I need replacements.
Any examples gratefully recieved
Cheers.
Last edited by Ming on 20 Jul 2017 06:43, edited 1 time in total.
72degrees

Re: 2C foot controls

Post by 72degrees »

The illustrations in the parts list may help but I'll drag the project out and take some photos tomorrow.
Ming

Post by Ming »

No rush now Pete.
I think I've worked out what has been cut from where and where it has moved to.
I have cut off the 'carbuncle' welded on to fit a side-stand, plus a few smaller warts which I presume were brake switch actuator, etc, so I have a pair that seem to fit in the right places - albeit shortened a bit. I'll get everything running first and then worry about whether I need to address them. Even so, I have a spare gear change lever, so it may only be a rear brake lever needed.
I now have to reassemble the binnacle from the pile of broken plastic - I'll try superglue with reinforcing powder...
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

Ming wrote:I now have to reassemble the binnacle from the pile of broken plastic - I'll try superglue with reinforcing powder...
I've found Isopon Plastic Bumper Filler works very well, though this version is a grey colour that needs painting if visible. The old Holts version was black. Some kind of two-pack super-epoxy gloop (JB Weld is my favourite) may be better for multiple joins. They are very prone to cracking round the ignition switch. You may be able to reinforce with bits of suitable bridging material if necessary on the underside where it can't be seen. The one on the road bike has the area round switch held in place with a zip tie and then built up with bumper repair. Not pretty but it works.

Not sure if JB weld is available in your neck of the woods but a local equivalent may be.
http://www.advantage-motorsport.co.uk/j ... 0wodTgUGfQ
Ming

Post by Ming »

On the footrest question - I have a correct brake and gear pedal, together with a LH footrest, plus a RH footrest coming from NLM (with a batch of other parts).
My experiments with Q-Bond have been very successful - so far I have repaired a shattered instrument binnacle, a smashed left handlebar switch unit and a couple of broken lugs on the rear side panels. It's well worth trying, sets rock-hard in seconds and can be moulded by insulation tape stuck in an appropriate fashion. Works on metal, too.
And it's only a tenner or so for a pack, of which I've used about 1/3 so far.
I wonder if the epoxy I've tried on the tank pinholes will be as effective?
George 350

Post by George 350 »

Hi,
Congratulations on historic status - must make your bike one of the earliest 2C's in the country?
As regards the fuel tank, your comment about the epoxy repairs - are you going to be using a tank sealant as well, or is this the epoxy that you are referring to?

Regards,
George.
George
350 sport 1978, 350 Strada 1978
650 Norton 1967, 650 Kawasaki 1977 and 650 Enfield 2019
Ming

Post by Ming »

Thanks George - though the 'historic' bit was easy, you just need a bike that is 30 years old, or more. Even the MZ125 has that status (also known as Vehicule de Collection)!
I'm still a bit suspicious of tank sealers, judging from the many conflicting tales one reads, so I just thought I'd try an external coating of twin-pack epoxy - the tank has already had a good electrolysing. The pinholes are just above the seam line, so it seems a bit overkill to treat the whole of the tank for two strips no more than 2 cm wide.
If the epoxy doesn't work I may try leading it if I can find a big enough torch.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

I used some two part epoxy putty stuff on the pin holes in the project's 125H tank, then an external coat of POR15 black chassis paint as an undercoat for the brushed Hammerite. No leaks as yet. Surprisingly, given the state of the outside, the inside came up clean as a whistle with just a good clean out using POR15 'Marine Clean' and shake with a handful of nuts and bolts. The finish is dire but that wasn't a priority. If it starts to seep I'll use POR15 liner. Eventually, I may try to improve the finish.
Ming

Post by Ming »

A small progress report:
The footpegs are now sorted, the engine starts OK, just some setting up of the carbs to do and then replacement of some parts robbed for use on my Strada.
I have two ongoing problems, first the fuel tank which is still as it was some months ago (I've been concentrating on the 350), second is the paperwork - I still haven't jumped through all the hoops required by French bureaucracy, though I hope I finally have all the paperwork needed. I will then be able to decide what other spares are needed, probably only a centre stand. That is all in the future, though.
72degrees

Re: 2C Slow progress

Post by 72degrees »

I could send a photo of the tank from the Spanish barn find - though I suspect it may be in a worse state than yours and would need lining.

I found the centre stand from the same bike. Once I've checked on the state of mine on the 375/2C (regarding removal for repainting should I ever get that keen) I'll PM you with a 'price' if I'm sure I won't need it.

Edit: Oh and I won't be using the 22mm carbs if the bodies on yours are bad. These seem quite good and it was running pretty well on them. In fact the first start on the FE 350 project rebuild was performed using them.
Ming

Post by Ming »

A further progress report - now the Strada is back on the road, I've picked up some momentum on the 250.
Rear shocks are shot and need either replacement or overhaul. I can get the overhaul kits, but the nut / seal on top of the body seems very tight and made from monkey-metal.
She starts OK, not well but that may be down to carburation at the moment. I thought I'd try the 2 Indian CDIs I have, but unfortunately they are a few mm larger than the fitted ones and are not a straight swap. The CD!s fitted are a grey rectangular Ducatielectrotechnica one and a black Piaggio 'slightly humped' one, pickup is Black. I may have sussed out what the 'mystery thing' is. Using a DMM on Ohms or diode setting, I get 97kOhm either polarity between the input from the source coil and earth, then infinity or forward diode drop between input from source and output to CDIs. This prompts the question as to whether the 2 CDIs have input diodes on the stator input, though as it runs without 'It', I presume they do.
The Ducati one is a No323971, there is no number on the Piaggio one. Perhaps I'll try 'It' back in circuit, though it seems a clumsy way of adding a series diode to the circuit.
Further progress as it occurs...

I should add that since buying this one a year ago, 'my man' has offered me 2 others, both in far better condition (from the descriptions) at similar prices - D'oh!
But I've finally cleared all the hoops of 'the system' and have a registration document.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

My 'racer' is now running an NLM module and conventional coils, but when I had to revert to OEM transducers (black ones with green dots) for a while I left 'it' in the wiring. For one thing it was an easy way to share the green wire feed. I found that the NLM system seemed to run quite happily connected to just one of the two outputs, but have removed 'it' (to the event emergency spares box along with a known good pickup).

Ignoring originality, 350 rear shocks will fit. A bit longer (so the 375/2C has pads welded on to the bottom of the centre stand to get the rear wheel off the deck) and a bit firmer. They aid footrest to ground clearance banked over though. Unfortunately the centre stand bolt on the road bike still refuses to budge so I daren't sell the good stand/bolt I have.
Ming

Post by Ming »

In the interest of science (and my curiosity) I reconnected 'It', et voilà - starts first kick and runs better, though I still need to set up the carbs properly. Who knows, may even be on the road this year.
Ming

Post by Ming »

More slow progress (though the Strada has been back on the road for a few months and the K2 Sport awaits registration). I have the 2C starting OK and the carbs more or less set. Now waiting for warm weather so that I can line the leaky tank (anyone used 'Slosh'?). I have also found a good product for 'iffy' seat covers. This one is cracked in places, not at all good looking, but good enough to use. On holiday in Malaysia I noticed that many of the hordes of bikes on the road had a mesh cover on the seat which looked good. On returning, I found these on Aliexpress.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-sh ... 0.0.TFd86d
For about a fiver they seem well made, robust and hide a multitude of sins. I used a size M for the 2C, which gives a nice tight fit and looks vastly better. I've also put one on an old BSA Bantam with a horrible (but original) seat, which now looks better (though it would have been nice to find a grey version).
More news as it happens.

I missed an old Strada over the weekend, from the photos it was one of the first. It was about 450km from here, so not a huge disappointment (especially with 3 Morinis in the Barn)
Droit.jpg
Droit.jpg (162.27 KiB) Viewed 32085 times
Gauche.jpg
Gauche.jpg (60.66 KiB) Viewed 32085 times
Hope it's gone to an enthusiast.
Ming

Post by Ming »

At last, a bit of an update. As the weather has improved of late I have set about sealing the tank (rusted along the outside of the seams), I am using a product called 'Slosh', with any 'big' holes sealed on the outside with an epoxy resin. It is currently in the curing phase.
As for the K2, it's still awaiting registration under the new, improved, all-internet French registration system (what used to be done by a visit to the local prefecture, maybe 2, is now done on-line and has taken 4 monthe so far, with no light at the end of the tunnel :evil: )
Tank piercings.jpg
Tank piercings.jpg (271.56 KiB) Viewed 27583 times
Epoxy support.jpg
Epoxy support.jpg (325.6 KiB) Viewed 27583 times
Cunning bung.jpg
Cunning bung.jpg (337.83 KiB) Viewed 27583 times