Petrol tank saga - and appeal

Maestro, SEI-V
penman

Petrol tank saga - and appeal

Post by penman »

Hi there,

Earlier in the year, I had all the painted parts of my 500 Morini project professionally re-painted. I wish I hadn't because it took months and months, however when I eventually got the parts back I was pleased, he had done a superb job. A couple of weeks later, the paint started to bubble around the filler cap on the tank. The cap seal wasn't leaking and anyway, I think the paint on a tank should be impervious to petrol. I took it back and the guy was horrified, I actually felt quite sorry for him. I'll try to cut a long story short, but the tank has now been with the paint manufacturer for a month and seems to be caught up as an exhibit in a wider dispute. I've done no end of moaning etc, but there is no sign of it coming back any time soon. Needless to say, nobody wants to pick up responsibility for it.

Now to the appeal. Has anyone a sound 500 tank, any colour and any condition, so long as it doesn't leak, which I could buy or borrow to get me back on the road in the short term? My tank looks like this:

I don't know if different tanks were fitted to different years, this is a 1978 model, and I can't even measure it because it's away in some paint factory! I can take measurements on the bike if that helps. The tank on the 3½ Strada models looks very similar (not identical) and may well fit, but of course I'm not sure. Those do pop up on ebay from time to time, in fact there's one on there now, but at around £220 it's more than I wanted to pay, especially if I'm not sure it'll fit!

Regards,

Joe.
1984 Moto Guzzi V65
1969 Honda CB450
1975 Triumph T160 Trident
2019 BMW F750GS Sport
1978 Morini 500
norbert

Re: Petrol tank saga - and appeal

Post by norbert »

I don´t think that a 350 tank will fit because of the other airfilterboxes.

norbert
penman

Post by penman »

norbert wrote:I don´t think that a 350 tank will fit because of the other airfilterboxes.

norbert
I think you are probably right. I might take the tank off the 350K2 and see how well or badly that fits. That one is different again though, so it might not tell me much.
1984 Moto Guzzi V65
1969 Honda CB450
1975 Triumph T160 Trident
2019 BMW F750GS Sport
1978 Morini 500
harrymuffin

Post by harrymuffin »

The K2 tank will fit as it is a push on type. If the filters are fitted and in the way then take them off temporarily an fit K&Ns. I have a K2 tank fitted to my hybrid and also fitted to my conventional 500 on occasions.