Finding neutral

The 3 1/2 forum
mikeybizzle

Finding neutral

Post by mikeybizzle »

Hopefully only a small problem :? .
When my sport engine is running whether hot or cold it is near impossible to get it back into neutral any ideas what to look for ?
Thanks in advance and I will report back .

Mikey
MarkB

Re: Finding neutral

Post by MarkB »

It's always difficult to find neutral if you're stationary; it's much easier to tap it in while you're still rolling.
"I'll have a V please, Bob."
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

MarkB wrote:It's always difficult to find neutral if you're stationary; it's much easier to tap it in while you're still rolling.
This.
Though it's worth double checking adjustment at handlebar *and* the lever on the crankcase. Also remote gear linkage joints for stiffness or lost slop if it has one. I find rocking it backwards and forwards if you forget to do it on the move helps, also tapping down from 2nd seems to work better than hooking up from 1st.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Hi a quick search here will reveal this as a characteristic of the engine. It can be tamed, but needs the engineering skills of Rolls Royce aero engines! Beyond me, so I just work around it.

It is much easier to find Nemo!
pedro

Post by pedro »

I had this problem and could not seem to overcome it, however, on putting a new set of clutch steel plates in (not expensive) the problem disappeared. Any slight warping will make neutral selection impossible.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

pedro wrote:I had this problem and could not seem to overcome it, however, on putting a new set of clutch steel plates in (not expensive) the problem disappeared. Any slight warping will make neutral selection impossible.
My project bike has had all new clutch plates, both friction and plain but it still is tricky to find neutral on. Then the clutch basket and hub were a bit notched. I dressed them smooth as best I could but that could be another factor. Also a hub/basket that is 'shimmed' too tight leading to drag between the clutch hub and its thrust washer (see Evguru's post on the 'clatter' thread) might not help.

To be fair, most of my old Italian bikes (Morini and Gilera) have been similar when a bit hot, so I just 'accommodate' to it.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I can find neutral but not always and when I do it never feels a very positive so when i let the clutch out I expect it to be in gear. I have relatively newish clutch plates, The gear lever is a bit wobbly on its pivot. I've tried shimming the clutch.
Papa Lazarou

Post by Papa Lazarou »

I turn the engine off with the ignition key-then find neutral. Oh for a kill switch!
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

3potjohn wrote:I can find neutral but not always and when I do it never feels a very positive so when i let the clutch out I expect it to be in gear. I have relatively newish clutch plates, The gear lever is a bit wobbly on its pivot. I've tried shimming the clutch.
Sounds like both mine. I always let the clutch out very gingerly expecting a stall, though now I've practiced the rock and tap down technique it's OK most of the time. A bit of a bugger on the start line at a hill climb if you stall it and keep everyone waiting as you restart - which I can't manage sitting astride the bike, so Mark's "find it while rolling" up to the lights is the best strategy.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

What, no neutral light? He says with a smug look! Thought all '76 Morinis had them... :D
mgelder

Post by mgelder »

Cutch (and rearset linkage) adjustment help, but I've never found finding neutral an issue on mine. Is this something I now need to start worrying about?
Morini stuff on RealClassic.co.uk: http://www.realclassic.co.uk/profiles.html#morini
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

mgelder wrote:Cutch (and rearset linkage) adjustment help, but I've never found finding neutral an issue on mine. Is this something I now need to start worrying about?
No. "If it works don't fix it" ;)
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

72degrees wrote:
mgelder wrote:Cutch (and rearset linkage) adjustment help, but I've never found finding neutral an issue on mine. Is this something I now need to start worrying about?
I have thought long and hard about the above. Is Martin's bike 'fixed' as it selects neutral easily or 'broken' for the same reason? Surely it has been modified from standard and therefore nowt to worry about! Am i 'clutching' at straws?

Just ride! :)
-------------------------------------------------------

Mike.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

MickeyMoto wrote:
72degrees wrote:
I have thought long and hard about the above. Is Martin's bike 'fixed' as it selects neutral easily or 'broken' for the same reason? Surely it has been modified from standard and therefore nowt to worry about! Am i 'clutching' at straws?

"Nobody Knows!"

Just be grateful that it has no neutral selection 'issues'. Then, it might be like a racing 2T - goes the very best just before it blows up ;)
mgelder

Post by mgelder »

MickeyMoto wrote:
72degrees wrote:

Now I'm worried there might be other things I don't know about that are wrong with it. It always starts easily; is this also a problem?

The brakes are also good; should I change the master cylinder to make them worse, or at least give less feel?

So many problems...
Morini stuff on RealClassic.co.uk: http://www.realclassic.co.uk/profiles.html#morini