Ignition "Transducers"

Maestro, SEI-V
norbert

Re: Ignition "Transducers"

Post by norbert »

Hey Joe,

I would take the pickup and transducers of the K2 with me like spare parts. They will do to get you home if the others faile. I´ve got a friend in spain who was using a red pickup with the usual tranducers with the green point for 350 in his racing bike with a 501 motor and it workrd very well when we have been at the Jarama Circuit. To be sure you could fix the ignicion a little late.

If you have severe problems you should try to find a guy called Celestino Cobo Gonzales. He lives about less than 20 km from Santander. Usually he is organizing the hill climb race to Colombres and is well known by the organizers. He probably could help you, because he has got at least a Morini for racing and maybe another and some spare parts as well.

Aaaah, you are going to the Piston Event and not to the meeting of the Indianos in Colombres, indeed?. So I´m not sure if he will be there, because he belongs to the gang of Colombres :roll:

The roads around the Picos de Europa are made for the morinis!!! I´ve never been to the rally but enjoying these mountains with my morini several times travelling alone, one of the nicest areas for riding I´ve ever seen.

Have fun!!!
norbert
huub

Post by huub »

As for the longer term solution, I'm not sure. Making them is easy enough, but I haven't seen a circuit diagram specifically for the 500 variant, so I don't know what the differences are, and we are still left with the question of the pickup. From what I've read here, the NLM pickup can be problematic for some people. Looking at the Dutch website, people have adapted various electronic ignitions successfully, but since these are generally intended for Triumph/BSA/Norton with a 38 deg advance range and Morini seem to have deliberately reduced the range to 30 deg for the 500 (from 34 deg on the 350), how compatible are they? The Sachse system sounds OK and has various selectable mappings, but people have reported problems contacting Sachse, and you may well need support for anything like this!

Finally, Tri-spark, who do excellent systems for a variety of classic bikes, have recently introduced a fully programmable version, though they don't do a pickup for the Morini. After some email correspondence a year or so ago, they would provide support and guidance for making a modified pickup. I may sound them out again, but I don't really want to involve myself in major hassle! Hmmm!
actually if you want to be completely safe you could fit a transistor ignition ( i am very happy with my swf ignition) and leave alle the original stuff in place. ( of course you need to swap the pickup)
the chances of both the high tension ignition coil and all the 12 volt coils failing are pretty slim. the rest is independent from each other.
personally i am happy with just the 12 volt system , with a full battery i should be able to ride more than a day.
should be enough to get somewhere where i can repair the bike , or charge the battery for another day...
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

Sounds fun!
If it were me, I would be leaving a few days early so I could ride more slowly, I'd pack an umbrella, 2p for the phone and extra sandwiches. Sod the rest. I hope your trip goes smoothly but in case it became a "different" trip, you'd meet some interesting locals.
YMMV
MRC 3082½
penman

Post by penman »

Ming - thank you for that information! I haven't seen a circuit diagram showing the different resistor values for 350 and 500. Can you post a link to it? I might make one on veroboard and test it. If it seems OK, I can carry that as a spare. Thanks also for the info on replacement pickups, I'll follow that up.

I did have another look at the Sachse system today and it does look like a good (though pricey) solution. The reports of them being difficult to contact has put me off a bit however.

Joe
1984 Moto Guzzi V65
1969 Honda CB450
1975 Triumph T160 Trident
2019 BMW F750GS Sport
1978 Morini 500
Ming

Post by Ming »

Joe - it's the circuit shown on the Dutch site, also on Paul Compton's site. Also on the Dutch site is the layout for a PCB, or you could see if Harrymuffin has a spare.
penman

Post by penman »

Once again, thanks for all the responses. I did get a bit interested in the "Horse Power Ignitions" product, one of the cheaper options, and it includes the two coils. However, once again, it doesn't provide an output for the tacho - and I've plenty of other things to spend money on! The Nuovaray products are interesting, though the on-line catalogue is a bit tortuous. Once again though, the items are not cheap and unless I missed it, there isn't a specific 500 transducer. So for a spare, I think the diy option is probably the best and cheapest by a mile. I used to make pcbs years ago, using nail varnish as an etch resist, but I've no chemicals or pcb material. I do have Veroboard though, so I might go down that route. Quick and easy, though of course not so neat. Unless Harrymuffin has a couple of spare pcbs he's willing to part with? Hopefully I can organise a useable spare this way, to go off to Spain with.

I'll report back!

Joe.
1984 Moto Guzzi V65
1969 Honda CB450
1975 Triumph T160 Trident
2019 BMW F750GS Sport
1978 Morini 500
harrymuffin

Post by harrymuffin »

I am just posting off to 'Ming" two pairs of photo etch circuits and one pair of cut boards (done on a Roland CNC cutter). These boards do not have the outputs to the electronic tacho though, but the out put resisters can be grafted to fit on the boards. All my bikes at the time had mechanical tachos so didn't see the point of making the boards with them on.
George 350

Post by George 350 »

Joe pm sent.
George.
George
350 sport 1978, 350 Strada 1978
650 Norton 1967, 650 Kawasaki 1977 and 650 Enfield 2019