The gearbox project begins

Maestro, SEI-V
penman

Re: The gearbox project begins

Post by penman »

Thanks guys! Adjusting the float on the rockers is one of those jobs which is embarrassingly obvious once it's been explained! Now done. I only managed to get a couple of hours on it today, but it's coming on well and starting to look a bit like a motorcycle again. I won't get much chance tomorrow, but I hope to get a bit of time on Tuesday, fingers crossed. The plan is to be riding it by the end of the week.

Joe.
1984 Moto Guzzi V65
1969 Honda CB450
1975 Triumph T160 Trident
2019 BMW F750GS Sport
1978 Morini 500
penman

Post by penman »

Success!

I finally finished off the reassembly yesterday, after all the tedious faffing about with carburetters, throttle cables, choke cables and all that peripheral stuff. The engine started instantly as it always has and it sounds great. Well, it does now that I've tightened up the exhaust clamps. I took it out for a ride today and the gear change is great! It has gone from a rather vague gear change, with various selection issues to a really nice positive change with no issues at all so far. I'm dead pleased with it. The 3rd gear whine has gone completely so I'm delighted. And I can still select neutral with ease!

I had new colisbro valve guides fitted because there was a lot of play in the old guides and that seems to have made it a lot quieter. It also feels smoother, I'm not sure why, maybe it's my imagination. So that's the end of this saga, well worth the effort. Many thanks to all who chipped in with information and experience!

Joe.
1984 Moto Guzzi V65
1969 Honda CB450
2019 BMW F750GS Sport
1978 Morini 500
norbert

Post by norbert »

Congratutacion Joe!

So in the end the only thing you changed in the gearbox was the new cluster with its selector mechanism. I´m not sure wether I know what piece is this. Do you have a foto of it?

norbert
penman

Post by penman »

norbert wrote:Congratutacion Joe!

So in the end the only thing you changed in the gearbox was the new cluster with its selector mechanism. I´m not sure wether I know what piece is this. Do you have a foto of it?

norbert
Thanks Norbert!
When I mentioned the selector mechanism I was referring to these two assemblies:

The first picture is of the selector pawl and indexing arm with their associated springs. My originals look serviceable to me, but any wear to the pawl tips or the tip of the indexing arm or any weakness or distortion to the springs could affect the gear change. The second picture is the cam cylinder and selector forks. Again, the originals look OK to me but again, any wear or distortion could cause problems. Since I had a complete replacement gearbox, with only a third of the kilometres on it, I just swapped everything. I must admit, I would like to know what was causing the problems - I don't like invisible problems! Having said that, I am very pleased to have it fixed. Previously, even ignoring all the selection issues, false neutrals and so on, it was a poor gear change. What I have now is an excellent gear change by any standards, a pleasure to use.

I took the bike out for a longer ride yesterday (my goodness it was a cold day!) - I did about 125km and the bike is better than ever, I'm really pleased with it!

Regards,
Joe.
1984 Moto Guzzi V65
1969 Honda CB450
2019 BMW F750GS Sport
1978 Morini 500
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

Great news Joe, glad it all went back together with the desired outcome

And well done for braving the cold to road test it!
norbert

Post by norbert »

Thanks for the pictures :wink: