Dart clutch cover

The Cagiva era Morinis
pikl

Dart clutch cover

Post by pikl »

Hello,
I am trying to find a photo of a Dart clutch cover. I heard they had an external oil cooler, and I am really interested how the clutch cover looked. Is it the same as on the old models, or is it a completely different cast (like on the New York and similar)?
I had the idea of somehow fitting an external spin-on oil filter between the front engine mounts on my Kanguro. I have a few clutch covers, but would really preffer a bolt-on modification (or at least see how it was made originally).
Also, was the oil pump the same (to keep up with the longer oil path)?
morini_tom

Re: Dart clutch cover

Post by morini_tom »

The dart has the later (kokusan era) casting, as per the New York and late Excaliburs, with the starter motor in front of the engine. Not sure that cover would fit in a kanguro as your down tubes will be in the way. That said, coguaros used the late type cover.

Only the darts had oil coolers but the customs and coguaros just didn’t have the bosses machined through on their castings.

The internal oil galleries are not much (at all???) different to the earlier style cover as you have on your kanguro. It wouldn’t surprise me if a bit of machining and welding couldn’t break through in the right place- of course the oil pressure switch boss would be one of your tappings.

As regards oil pump, I don’t believe they did anything different for the dart to compensate for the oil cooler. It was a well s spec’d pump in the first place.

If it’s any help I can take some pictures of the inside of the cover so you can see where the dart oil cooler banjos break into the gallery.
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

Dart engine left side photo:

Let me know if you want to see what it looks like inside that cover
Attachments
ACF9E43E-3BF3-4D6E-A229-48D8476D811E.jpeg
ACF9E43E-3BF3-4D6E-A229-48D8476D811E.jpeg (457.67 KiB) Viewed 9675 times
harrymuffin

Post by harrymuffin »

I have fitted spin on full flow oil filters to both my Morinis. The out to the filter (cooler) picks up off the oil pressure switch and returns to a boss welded on to the top of the primary drive casing in line with the oil gallery that feeds the crankshaft and relief valve. The oil line from the oil pump to this gallery is plugged between the oil pump and the crankshaft feed so the oil has to go out and return through the top to the crankshaft. If you want a photo then contact me and I will send one to you, it is a very simple improvement as you can extend the oil changes with less likely the big end pin clogging up and cutting off oil to the big end bearings owing to the crank pin being a sludge trap.