78 Morini in New Mexico, USA

The 3 1/2 forum
Monstrodamus

Re: 78 Morini in New Mexico, USA

Post by Monstrodamus »

P&S wrote:Hello Monstrodamus,
Left hand shifting was produced by Moto Morini for USA market like some other particular features.( bigger headlamp and indicators with reflector)
Those bikes also have a black dot on the rear wheel shoe holder.
Could you tell us what it is?
It's got a rear disc and the caliper is painted black. I can look closer tomorrow.
Current projects
78 Morini 3 1/2 Sport
78 Yamaha SR500
86 BMW K75
74 Porsche 914
74 Triumph TR6
Monstrodamus

Post by Monstrodamus »

RH shifting is how it was designed. I took some pics of the arrangement but having trouble getting them small enough to post. I'll work on that. Either way, it looks like an add on that detracts from such a functional bike, it's not the way it was designed. Just the way some politician wanted it.
I need to get the seat recovered but I'll probably lose the Morini Logo if I have it done locally. The current seat on it doesn't have the logo. Unless someone has a sport seat in pristine condition. :D I've seen some online and it looks like they can be sourced for a couple hundred euros. Then Shipping.
When I convert, I'll offer the linkage to this group first. It's now registered and plated and I'm riding it a little here and there. I'm a little afraid of it being stolen but 99.99% of the people don't even know what it is. I've seen a couple on ebay here recently in the $6000 price range. Thanks for the great and supportive response.
I'm considering going into the instruments and doing a little looking around. The speedo is wildly high reading and the tach doesn't even respond.
Current projects
78 Morini 3 1/2 Sport
78 Yamaha SR500
86 BMW K75
74 Porsche 914
74 Triumph TR6
Monstrodamus

Post by Monstrodamus »

For those wondering...
Bell Crank on the front of the frame that transfers shift lever action from left to right. Picture of each side to follow. Hopefully.
Attachments
IMG_20180523_201558253_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
IMG_20180523_201558253_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg (431.9 KiB) Viewed 7936 times
Current projects
78 Morini 3 1/2 Sport
78 Yamaha SR500
86 BMW K75
74 Porsche 914
74 Triumph TR6
Monstrodamus

Post by Monstrodamus »

Shifter on the left, mounted probably where a brake lever would go, moves a lever on the backside that operates a bell crank at the front of the motor.
Attachments
shifter 2.jpg
shifter 2.jpg (248.53 KiB) Viewed 7936 times
Current projects
78 Morini 3 1/2 Sport
78 Yamaha SR500
86 BMW K75
74 Porsche 914
74 Triumph TR6
Monstrodamus

Post by Monstrodamus »

And on the right, another rod to the actuate the shifter...
Attachments
shifter 3.jpg
shifter 3.jpg (162.45 KiB) Viewed 7936 times
Current projects
78 Morini 3 1/2 Sport
78 Yamaha SR500
86 BMW K75
74 Porsche 914
74 Triumph TR6
hendre

Post by hendre »

Monstrodamus wrote:I need to get the seat recovered but I'll probably lose the Morini Logo if I have it done locally. The current seat on it doesn't have the logo. Unless someone has a sport seat in pristine condition. :D I've seen some online and it looks like they can be sourced for a couple hundred euros.
new seats are ranging 115 euros at a german supplier amex-motorradsport.de (do not know if the price still is actual; it is on the right side of the picture)
found a new one in Italy for 145 euros
http://www.italian-motorbikes.com/Pagin ... nglese.htm
the factory who makes them also sells them directly
http://www.nisasrl.it/index.php/en/2013 ... oto-morini
looking for the part numbers (NISA 350 SPORT MOD.74 Seat art. 0031 Seat cover art.2031) I found a place that sells the cover: 48 euros
http://www.cecoret.com/shop/product_inf ... ts_id=5266
P&S

Post by P&S »

thank you for the pictures.
Mepstein

Post by Mepstein »

Thanks for the seat info. I had my local upholstery shop recover one of my seats. It looks ok but not origional.
Monstrodamus

Post by Monstrodamus »

Spending $165 to get the seat recovered locally. I will probably try to get an original looking seat later. Tires are my current quandary. I have seen all the discussion on the topic. It's got Bridgestone Battleax on it. 100 front and 110 rear. The date code on them is from 2001. They look ok but I know better. Would like to go to 90 front and 100 rear, matched set. Can't seem to find any other option than Avons and likely what i'll have to do. I've had the Bridgestones on other bikes and always liked them. Next up, a wild speedometer and non working tachometer. Oh, and the clip ons. I was able to get an upper triple tree from one of you guys. Thanks!
Current projects
78 Morini 3 1/2 Sport
78 Yamaha SR500
86 BMW K75
74 Porsche 914
74 Triumph TR6
Ming

Post by Ming »

Monstrodamus wrote:... Next up, a wild speedometer and non working tachometer...
That's why they're called Vague Liars.
On the K2 I've just got back on the road, the speedo thrashes about on take off, but once up to a steady speed seems OK. As for the tacho - is it mechanical or electronic? If mech, test the cable and run for snags. For electronic, it depends whether it's the gauge itself or the converter unit. I think the gauge can be tested with a variable dc source. If it's the converter there is a simple circuit on the Dutch MM site. http://www.motomoriniclub.nl/tech.html, specifically Tip 2: Pietro Ligorio also drew a small electronic circuit to connect an electronic rev. counter to a 3rd generation (grey) transducer. Normally this is impossible, as the grey transducers do not have a connection for an electronic rev. counter. Bikes with these types of transducers were fitted with a mechanical rev. counter. I have seen this small circuit integrated in a cable and hidden under the fueltank.
Monstrodamus

Post by Monstrodamus »

Tach is electronic and it has a bent needle from the heat. Not mission critical right now. I disassembled the speedo and lubed everything. Can seem to see any fault with it. Haven't tested it but spinning it by hand, the needle still jumps about wildly.

Last couple of days, I went to service the fork and found minimal oil, water in one leg. Pulled and cleaned damper rods. Replaced the fork seals and waiting on new dust boots. I also pulled the triple trees as I'm converting to a flat upper tree and going with drop bars. Took the time to paint the triple trees and going to clean parts as I reassemble the front end. New Avons arrived yesterday. Lost one steering head ball bearing so I'm going to a local motorcycle shop today to see if I can get a few when I buy some fork oil from them.
I guess I better check wheel bearings.
Attachments
No forks.jpeg
No forks.jpeg (188.14 KiB) Viewed 7802 times
Current projects
78 Morini 3 1/2 Sport
78 Yamaha SR500
86 BMW K75
74 Porsche 914
74 Triumph TR6