Can Someone Identitfy This Old Morini Engined Bike

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
Haydn.F

Can Someone Identitfy This Old Morini Engined Bike

Post by Haydn.F »

Hi to everyone. A friend of mine has come across an old Italjet (in the UK) and we are trying to identify the year and model. We think it’s early to mid ‘70’s but can’t seem to find much info on the Internet and the various bike forums and Italjet websites have nothing. Perhaps someone out there may have some knowledge, memories or experience of this bike.

Any information (or where we could obtain information) would be gratefully appreciated.

Here’s what we know so far:
Engine: 100cc Franco Morini – New 100, engine #5-2 (stamped on crankcase behind kick start)
Frame # 3 7-10054
Carburettor: Dellorto VHB 22BS
Stator: Dansi Varese ASL236NS
Wheels: Front = 19 inch, Rear = 17 inch
Marzocchi suspension
01.jpg
01.jpg (80.74 KiB) Viewed 6087 times
02.jpg
02.jpg (194.9 KiB) Viewed 6087 times
Ming

Re: Can Someone Identitfy This Old Morini Engined Bike

Post by Ming »

Hi, I'm not sure you will get much response as the engine (as you say) is made by Franco Morini, so is from a different factory from our Moto Morinis.
I imagine you will find more info searching on Italjet or Morini Franco Motori. There is some info here, too: http://www.motomoriniclub.nl/motorifrancomorini.html
Haydn.F

Post by Haydn.F »

Hi, I didn’t realise that my Morini engined bike had to be from a particular ‘factory’ to get a response here. I was hoping to reach an enthusiast of Italian bikes in general that could have shed some light on the subject. Thanks for your reply anyway.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Hadyn, everyone's welcome here - don't misunderstand Ming's reply! It's just that Moto Morini is/was a totally different business from Franco Morini, so most of us won't have the information you want. Someone who knows may pop up here, and I hope you find your answers. Regards, Mark.
"I'll have a V please, Bob."
Haydn.F

Post by Haydn.F »

OK Cheers Mark, perhaps something will turn up.
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

As the nature of the Italian industry was to use proprietary parts to build a bike, you may find this tricky unless you see the same brand-name a few times. Is there a name on the rims, the drums, the forks, anywhere on the electrics, the seat, exhaust pipe/silencer, the frame? Sometimes ID plates can be hidden away or too rusty to read. It could even be a home-made mongrel built to make use of a dead frame, using salvaged parts. Anyone could buy a Franco Morini engine and fit into anything, hence the potential for a black hole.

As it looks small, I would research brands like Italjet who catered for the kids' market. The tank stripes may help with a positive ID.

Good luck, anyway!
MRC 3082½
Butch

Post by Butch »

Sweet looking bike though.