Armours stainless exhausts or tart up the black ones?

Maestro, SEI-V
Jaydub

Armours stainless exhausts or tart up the black ones?

Post by Jaydub »

Armours - Anyone using them? Do they fit? Considering a pair as the price doesn't look bad and they'd add a touch of glam' to the bike...
Alternatively, any advice on tidying up the stock ones in black. They appear to be pretty solid but the black finish is a bit patchy. Only ever used exhaust paint on a trailly bike years back and wasn't overly impressed. Any comments? Cheers.
EVguru

Re: Armours stainless exhausts or tart up the black ones?

Post by EVguru »

Reports on Armors exhausts seem to vary a lot, from 'fits like an OEM system' to 'Are you sure this is the exhaust for this bike?'

I've had to cut and shut a number of aftermarket Morini exhausts. If you can't screw the exhaust nuts in by hand the system isn't fitting properly. Trying to pull an exhaust into place is one way of stripping the exhaust port threads.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

You could try Moto storiche Italiane - I bought some very good chrome seamed silencers from them. Even with postage from Italy to the UK they were cheaper than buying similar in England, and they are almost indistinguishable from the original Lafranconis.
Last edited by MarkB on 26 Jan 2016 13:24, edited 1 time in total.
"I'll have a V please, Bob."
Jaydub

Post by Jaydub »

Thanks for the comments - I've used Armours way back for British bits and the quality/fit was way off sometimes. I'd heard that their stuff was a lot better nowadays but thought it was worth asking the question on here... I'll let you know what I do.
Gary D

Post by Gary D »

Hi

I need to change the headers on my 500 & wondered if you ever got around to trying those Armours for fit? I'd appreciate any subsequent thoughts you have on this subject & hope it's all working out ok for you?

Cheers

Gary
morinipete

Post by morinipete »

I've got Armours pipes on my 500. Bought probably 10 years ago. When they arrived I roughly assembled them, put them on the ground next to the bike and thought 'they are NEVER going to fit'. I even rang Armours to say they might be getting returned scratched as I'm really going to struggle to get them on, but they said 'no worries, we've had no problems'.

Anyway I was skeptical, and they were tight, but my god what a fit! It may upset purists but I reckon I could run them without exhaust nuts. The front one I've run like this when the front nut came undone (my fault) and it was only at slow speed I was aware of any noise/blow past.

Perhaps I just got lucky but 10 years on they polish up like brand new and they've been down the road at Cadwell twice :)

Silencers are a different issue though. They were loud and knocked 10mph off the top end. I put an odd pair back on (one Sito, one Lafranconi, that the bike came with) and it ran a dream. Ended up using NLM silencers in the end, which don't look as nice as the Armours ones but seem to run like the standard ones (and are noisy but not offensive).

Cheers

Pete
Gary D

Post by Gary D »

Hi Pete

Many thanks for your thoughts on the Armour headers. I really appreciate you sharing your experience & will definitely give them a shot :D . I've got a lot of work to do on the basics before then though! It's a runner, but won't tick over when hot enough to be off the choke. I'm looking forward to getting stuck in when time permits though. NLM are only up the road so that's a bonus for me, as is a helpful online community.

Take care Pete & I hope to catch up with you in person at some point.

Best regards

Gary
penman

Post by penman »

Hi Guys,

I wondered if anyone has any updates on the Armour question. I would really like to replace the headers on my 500, they are deeply pitted and the chrome is a distant memory. I have heard the same comment which Paul Compton made above, that Armour's fit is a bit variable - but I did hear that some years ago and I've also heard that nowadays it's better. Anyone with any recent experience?

Many thanks!

Joe.
1984 Moto Guzzi V65
1969 Honda CB450
1975 Triumph T160 Trident
2019 BMW F750GS Sport
1978 Morini 500
simonnorthroad

Post by simonnorthroad »

Cant comment on the downpipes but Ive just bought 350 silencers off them and very happy with the fit, finish, performance and sound
acemorini

Post by acemorini »

I phoned Armours about there 500 down pipes and they said there are none in stock and it would be the autumn before they put the patterns in to the pipe bending shop.
Regards Pete.