Front tyres

The Cagiva era Morinis
SupermotoDave

Front tyres

Post by SupermotoDave »

What are people running on the front these days? Size as well as make?
I've got a real grotty Dunlop that needs changing so no idea if it is even the correct size. Heart says Pirelli but the Pirelli website claims they have no fitment.
BT 45 110/80?
morini_tom

Re: Front tyres

Post by morini_tom »

Can’t really help you David as it’s been 15 years since I converted to a 17 inch front, which gives much more tyre choice

Lots of people seem to have bt45 although personally I never really liked them.

The 17 inch conversion is straightforward if you go about it in the right way, and doing it when you need tyres makes the most sense.

If you’re tempted I think I still have the first 17inch conversion I did (had to use a different wheel when I later changed to a mito front end)

The first conversion allows you to use the original dart forks, brakes and Speedo drive.
huub

Post by huub »

on my guzzi with 16 inch wheels i use pirelli diablo scooter tires,
it handles a lot better than the V65 with 18 inch tires.
they are a huge improvement on the metzeler and BT45 i used to run.
they are remarkably sticky, so dont expect 10000 miles fro your front tire. .
https://www.oponeo.co.uk/moto-tyre-deta ... #208593416
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

Interesting suggestion about the scooter tyres huub, and certainly worth a look.

Be careful to check the speed and load rating on them though. I’m sure they would be ok for our modest Morini but you need to make sure you don’t potentially invalidate insurance etc by using a tyre rated lower then the original equipment
huub

Post by huub »

the maxi scooters these tires are made for are more powerfull and heavier than my humble guzzi,
with our speed limits speed ratings are pretty silly, nobody (including insurance companies) is interested in them.
having said that, laws in the UK might be completely different from over here. ( netherlands)