Who's owned my bike?

Show us your projects and restorations
JohnChell

Who's owned my bike?

Post by JohnChell »

Hi

I have acquired a 500 SEI, I'm curious to find out if any club members know anything of its history, I'm particularly keen to know why its registered on a Q plate,as ideally I'd like to get it put onto an age related plate. The bike is not currently on the road but is complete.

There is a partial folder of history with it, and I know the previous 2 owners. I purchased the bike off Roy Masters and he purchased the bike from Paul Compton, both of whom I know, when Paul had the bike it was used for a Real Classic article comparing the 500 with the 350.

In the folder that came with the bike there are some old photos, one of which was clearly taken at a Morini Rider Club event, possibly an AGM or Cadwell as Roy spotted himself in the background of the picture, probably from sometime in the late 1990's.

There is an old dating certificate from North Leicester Motorcycles that was issued in 1996 dating the bike to March 1982, it was first register on a q plate in the uk in 1988 and a hand written list of previous owners is included in the folder, one on whom must have been a club member as there is an unused club sticker and a copy of ATG 219 (from 1996?) in the folder. Other docs suggest owners in the London / Kent area.

Can anyone shed any further light on the history of my bike? it seems to have been around in the club on and off for a few years now.

thanks
Attachments
my morini.jpg
my morini.jpg (161.65 KiB) Viewed 8238 times
MickeyMoto

Re: Who's owned my bike?

Post by MickeyMoto »

Maybe 82 is too early? Looks like a late model, but then, who knows?
JohnChell

Post by JohnChell »

should look like this, Im waiting for this ol brochure to arrive having found it on ebay, I'll see if it has a date on when it arrives.
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (338.84 KiB) Viewed 8224 times
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Looking in the Mick Walker book, the 500 was updated at the same time as the 'new' K2 in late 1983.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

An important part of that Morini's history is that it was the first 500 I rode, when it was in Paul's ownership. :D
"I'll have a V please, Bob."