Kanguro X1 Rear Monoshock

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
dbd32

Kanguro X1 Rear Monoshock

Post by dbd32 »

Hi There everyone
does anybody know of an alternative rear monoshock (13 1/2ins long)other than a Hagon for my Kanguro X1
My Paioli shock seems to damp ok when stripped without the spring but no one seems to know how the remote air assisted part of the suspension works
or how to set it up or whether it is needed. Or more importantly how to strip the shock down and oil to use
As I have said seems to me an alternative shock might be easier to fit in the long run but would like to keep the bike as near standard as possible without
the £300 for a Hagon shock, unless someone out there has a good seconhand one to sell
dbd32
George 350

Re: Kanguro X1 Rear Monoshock

Post by George 350 »

Hi,

If you would prefer to re use the original, but have it rebuilt, it would be worth talking to Falcon shocks in Wareham.
Prices reflect the quality of the work done. See http://www.falconshockabsorbers.co.uk/repair001.htm for more details.

If you wan't a longer shock than the Hagon unit, why not ask them? Certainly with the twin shocks they will build you whatever length and spring rate you want within reason, so it might be the same with the mono units. may be worth talking to Hagon directly?

Regards,
George.
George
350 sport 1978, 350 Strada 1978
650 Norton 1967, 650 Kawasaki 1977 and 650 Enfield 2019
dbd32

Post by dbd32 »

decided to strip the remote resouvar and remove the oil from the shock and refill with 10s fork oil so will see how it perform
Ken
james fordham

Post by james fordham »

I dropped my Kanguro shock into Falcon yesterday, very helpful and an impressive set up. Estimate around £125 plus vat to repair (About the same as some second hand units off eBay. Will let you know how we get on.
Haboola72

Post by Haboola72 »

Here's an alternative..
I've recently bought a x3 Kanguro with a supermono conversion, I removed the seat the other day to find this.
20150917_172218.jpg
20150917_172218.jpg (243.2 KiB) Viewed 17300 times
I've never seen an x3 shock before but this looks suspiciously like a BMW item from a r65/80/100. It's 410 mm long 390 mm between centres which seems a bit long to me.
Can anyone supply me with the correct centres, bolt hole to bolt hole? There is very little damping left and it has a habit of pogoing off the throttle which is quite annoying.
hendre

Post by hendre »

I an searching for an alternative for my kangu, anybody tried a BMW K75/K100 350mm shock? YSS makes a nice BMW shock for 145 euros (@ local shop)... much cheaper then Hagon or other alternatives for the Kangu
http://www.yss-webstore.com/BMW-K75-K100-suspension
also available in other lengths :)
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

I haven't tried a BMW shock, sorry. But wouldn't the spring be way to strong for the Kangu? The YSS kit does seem to be pretty good and as a friend is currently building a Kangu in my garage we would both be interested to know if that is a viable replacement. Anyone know what the standard lengths were, were they different for the various X versions? Also the spring rate would be useful to know. With that info it is easy to order from the YSS stockists.
I feel sure I saw at least one Kanguro at the recent German Treffen fitted with a YSS.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
hendre

Post by hendre »

earlier on in this topic X1 length was specified at 13 1/2 inch (340mm)

Hagon advises this one for all off roads: https://www.hagon-shocks.co.uk/catalog/ ... tno=M67050
Bitubo: https://www.omniaracing.net/en/bitubo-w ... 41852.html
Wilbers: https://www.ebay.de/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... 2806823257

Seems X3 are 10mm longer compared to X1: http://kanguro350.blogspot.com/2004/03/

No specs for all alternatives, BMW K75/100 shocks are known to be not as durabel so a 2nd hand @ 80 euros is probably no good idea to try. Guess somebody just has to find out...
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

This is an old thread I know but still of interest to me and I suspect many others. It's said above that 340mm between centres is the standard length for a Kanguro shock, anyone know if that's right? It would explain why the Kangu I just bought is so high in the saddle, the shock fitted is 420mm between centres :o
The damper is gone as well so I need a replacement. I know there is always Hagon but I would keep them for last resort. YSS make nice shocks and are usually reasonably priced but I can't get a reply from them (or rather their UK agent) regarding a replacement.
So my questions are;
Are all the monoshock bikes the same length or not?
What length for each model?
Anybody know the spring rate?
A while back Paul Compton mentioned going to an automotive shock shop but the link is now dead. Any other similar you know of?
hendre

Post by hendre »

I'll check the stuff I have lying around for my X2 tomorrow... original and BMW replacement
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

hendre wrote:I'll check the stuff I have lying around for my X2 tomorrow... original and BMW replacement
That would be good thank you. I remember I have a couple of old shocks hiding in the shed somewhere too, I'll try and find them. They're all knackered for sure but they might give us some more info I suppose.
norbert

Post by norbert »

I supose some of you know Dieter Hoffmann, one of the Morini Dealers her in Germany (esp. consumble parts). He offers YSS gas-absorbers for 249€ for the Kanguro. To contact him: morinicorse1@aol.com

ciao
norbert
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

norbert wrote:I supose some of you know Dieter Hoffmann, one of the Morini Dealers her in Germany (esp. consumble parts). He offers YSS gas-absorbers for 249€ for the Kanguro. To contact him: morinicorse1@aol.com

ciao
norbert
That's good info, thank you Norbert.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

Steve Brown wrote:
hendre wrote:I'll check the stuff I have lying around for my X2 tomorrow... original and BMW replacement
That would be good thank you. I remember I have a couple of old shocks hiding in the shed somewhere too, I'll try and find them. They're all knackered for sure but they might give us some more info I suppose.
How knackered - beyond refurbishment?
Might be worth giving John Gaskell at Revs a ring, even more so if armed with dimensions and fitting details. He would match a spring going on what you tell him about the machine weight and yours ;) He has done several fork and rear shock mods for me (lowering) and knows his stuff.

https://www.revsracing.co.uk/shockrefurbs.php
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

72degrees wrote:
Steve Brown wrote:
How knackered - beyond refurbishment?
Might be worth giving John Gaskell at Revs a ring, even more so if armed with dimensions and fitting details. He would match a spring going on what you tell him about the machine weight and yours ;) He has done several fork and rear shock mods for me (lowering) and knows his stuff.

https://www.revsracing.co.uk/shockrefurbs.php
Thanks Pete, I never heard of them before! Price looks good too. I'm away for a week now but will be getting stuck into the bikes again as soon as I get back.