Tarozzi high-rise clipons

Anything to do with motorcyles
Greybeard

Tarozzi high-rise clipons

Post by Greybeard »

Ive just fitted a pair of these to the Threeanarf Sport so that Mrs GB doesn't have to lay across the fuel tank when she does start riding it :D Theyve certainly helped with the riding position though Im a little concerned how easily they will slip despite being bolted up tight. Its the vertical section with a tapered boss that fits into the clamp on the stanchion. I would have thought that a serrated mounting like on the footpegs would have been safer.
Ive nipped them up tighter than I would normally do for a 10mm bolt into alloy but theres still a tendency for them to move when you put any weight on them, such as when rolling the bike off its stand :shock:
Im awaiting a response from the supplier re maximum torque for the bolt etc but wondered whether anyone else had come across this problem. My first thought was to smear a little grinding paste on the taper to encourage them to grip. Initial impressions are not particularly favourable so, which is a pity.
As an aside, fitting them has prompted a redesign of the brake hose layout, which I wasnt happy with anyway. Due to the speedo there is insufficient room for the hydraulic brake switch and two hoses on the end of the master cylinder. Im rejigging the set-up so that there is a single hose running to an adapter Ive made to fit under the bottom yoke to split the lines to both calipers and fit the switch. Im just awaiting the necessary hose bits to arrive from Venhill and I'll be able to make up the hoses to the correct length and finish the job.

Steve
MarkB

Re: Tarozzi high-rise clipons

Post by MarkB »

I had them fitted to my Strada for a couple of years, tightened as well as I could with the relevant large Allen key. They stayed exactly where they should.
"I'll have a V please, Bob."
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Cheers, Mark.
I had a reply from the supplier this afternoon. It cant be an unusual problem as he's asked the manufacturer for a recommended torque figure a number of times, but they've consistently refused one :? Seems a strange thing for an engineering company. I shall be going back into the workshop later to apply some more 'umpty' - with the gracious approval of the supplier who is also interested in the result :wink:

Steve
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Be prepared for the Timesert...
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Its been at the back of my mind, Mike :shock: but Ive been promised free replacement of any failed parts so theres a bit of a safety net. I wound em up to 50Nm, which felt bloody tight and then some, but it was still possible to move em without being overly daft about it. Ive now reached 55Nm :? So far they seem to be holding. Ill have another tug at the bars after tea to see if theyve relaxed any more than I can .........

Steve
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

Mine have stayed in place nicely for the short time I've had them fitted. Have you tried roughing up the mating faces?
DD
Attachments
IMG_2663.JPG
IMG_2663.JPG (131.71 KiB) Viewed 8998 times
MRC 3082½
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Daddy Dom wrote:Mine have stayed in place nicely for the short time I've had them fitted. Have you tried roughing up the mating faces?
DD
Not yet, Dom, but if they do work loose then that will be my next course of action.
I'm going to have to get one of those 'witch on a broomstick' stickers for Mrs GB :lol:

Steve
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Daddy Dom wrote: Have you tried roughing up the mating faces?
DD
That is so wrong on so many levels... :)
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

Not if you've already had a blown seal, it's not...
:shock:
MRC 3082½
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

The old ones were the best...
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

Steve, just an idea, but I want to ask about your centre-stand technique. Mine is so easy to get up that I only really use the handlebars to stabilise. It's all in the grab-handle under the seat and pushing down on the stand lug with my size 7. So, perhaps someone has removed the grab rail or cut off the stand lug?
Anyway, just a thought.
DD
MRC 3082½
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Maybe the centre stand stance is similar to my crankshaft nut loosening one? Perhaps we should call it the Morini position? I'll add it to the forthcoming update of the Karma Sutra...
Ming

Post by Ming »

MickeyMoto wrote:... I'll add it to the forthcoming update of the Karma Sutra...
He's here all week, folks!
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Daddy Dom wrote:Steve, just an idea, but I want to ask about your centre-stand technique. Mine is so easy to get up that I only really use the handlebars to stabilise. It's all in the grab-handle under the seat and pushing down on the stand lug with my size 7. So, perhaps someone has removed the grab rail or cut off the stand lug?
Anyway, just a thought.
DD
A strange question, but after over 45 years of using many centrestands I reckon Ive worked out the relevant techniques :wink: My comment was to illustrate how easily the bars would move simply by pushing the bike off the stand - which is by no means difficult. Ive been brought up using BSA and AMC stands and BSAs efforts have consistently been a lesson in bad design over the decades.
The Threeanarf's lifting gear is complete and delightfully easy to use - even Mrs GB (who's bike it will be) is able to use it :)
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

Good-oh.
Actually, not such a strange question as there are many things in Morini-land that are not the same elsewhere. Wait until you're asked if it's a two-stroke and what kind of Ducati it is... :shock:
My Q wasn't doubting your abilities, more about starting back at the basics as this is not something I've ever seen anyone post about.
So, if your grab-rail had been missing - being a bolt-on/bolt-off item - you would not have been able to do it the easy way and would be tugging unduly on the bars. That was all. :idea:
Cheers,
DD
MRC 3082½