Oil Pressure.

Maestro, SEI-V
Sicxtyone

Oil Pressure.

Post by Sicxtyone »

Hi all,
Anyone ever had reason to change or checkout the oil pressure switch?
Last weekend en route to the Corsaro section with Floyd I had to abandon the ride and limp home. The oil light was flickering at tickover and on all the time above 4000 rpm. So I thought do the obvious first before looking inside the casings :(
Thanks
Graham.
harrymuffin

Re: Oil Pressure.

Post by harrymuffin »

I have a permanent oil pressure gauge fitted to my 500's. Pressure HOT at 2500 and above 75-80psi, tickover (1200 - 1250) 40 -50psi. The original pressure switch closes at about 15psi. One from a FIAT and I daresay from most other crap will fit, thread is 1.5 pitch - try ebay where they are shillings to buy. I do have a pressure gauge that I used to check customers oil pressure before and after engine rebuilds, not difficult to make up.
acemorini

Post by acemorini »

Hello Graham, yes I had that problem on my 350 Strada, just changed the switch problem when away as Harry said not very expensive.
Regards Pete.
mad muller

Post by mad muller »

what model fiat is it fitted to, or is it a generic part for all things italian, i refuse to say crap oh shit ive said it !
harrymuffin

Post by harrymuffin »

Unscrew the one fitted and measure. I think they are M10 x 1.5 thread. Or take it into a motor factors and get them to sort one out and if they ask for a registration as they now do then, them it if for a Fiat Panda and forgotten the reg.
Sicxtyone

Post by Sicxtyone »

The thread on the switch on my 500 is 12x1.25 pitch but hey do they vary?
Do all owners use exactly three litres of oil. I remember seeing a post from evguru regarding oil quantities. I think it was, but don't quote me 2.7 litres was optimal for cooling?
Following the oil light coming on I've now filled up to just below top notch on the dipstick and guess what no oil light coming on. Only put about 125 ml extra in, can't see how this can make a difference? But it has so far at least.
What are other members experiences with oil quantities?
Graham.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Sicxtyone wrote:Hi all,
Anyone ever had reason to change or checkout the oil pressure switch?
Last weekend en route to the Corsaro section with Floyd I had to abandon the ride and limp home. The oil light was flickering at tickover and on all the time above 4000 rpm. So I thought do the obvious first before looking inside the casings :(
Thanks
Graham.
Yes, every one I had has failed! On various Morini and Moto Guzzi models. None of the bikes had oil pressure problems so I think they're just cheap and nasty switches! All the replacements were from local motor factors and never gave any trouble, probably because they were made somewhere with decent quality control, like China for example.
On my Camel the switch did as the rest have done, worked for a day or two then packed up. On this bike though I'm concerned more about knocking the switch off when in a rut or stopping for a quick lie down so I'm just replacing it with a plug and have already removed the warning lamp. Never had a Morini with oil pump problems so I'm not even slightly worried about lights or gauges.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
'It must be a .....'

Post by 'It must be a .....' »

Hi, on a friend's (just bought) Mk1 Camel, the oil pressure light would sometimes flicker when accelerating and come on for longer at high revs, this was caused by the sump filter restricting the oil flow as it was covered in small soft black rubber like flakes; once the filter was cleaned and the oil changed etc all was well.

The Mk1 Camel has a tucked in oil pressure switch adapter that faces forward instead of the switch facing downwards as on the road bikes.
Later Camels have no oil pressure switch, so a blanking bolt is a good off road solution.

The oil level changing the situation is a mystery; as long as there is oil in there between the max and min marks it shouldn't make a difference?

Hopefully an oil change, new switch etc and all will be well.
acemorini

Post by acemorini »

My 89 X3 Kangaro has no oil pressure switch, the engine case has never been drilled or tapped never really thought about it before.
Regards Pete.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

acemorini wrote:My 89 X3 Kangaro has no oil pressure switch, the engine case has never been drilled or tapped never really thought about it before.
Regards Pete.
I don't think any of the 350's had the oil switch and light? I have a spare 350 side case, I may just fit that!

Oh and both my 500 engines have a switch with M12 x 1.5 thread.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
acemorini

Post by acemorini »

My 1981 Strada has oil pressure switch fitted, so maybe the early ons didn’t.
Regards Pete.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

MY light comes on very occasionally, it is muck in the switch or a bad switch. I am pretty sure in my Haynes BSA A65 manual it said “ if the oil light comes on, disconnect the switch”.
Cannot help worrying at the time though.
John