500 carb connections

Maestro, SEI-V
Steve48

500 carb connections

Post by Steve48 »

Hi
I am a new member and I am re-commissioning my black morini 500 that has been in a private collection for many years and I am stuck on how to disconnect the carbs from the bike for cleaning. There is the throttle cable and another connection that goes to a metal cylinder on the frame. I don't want to mess anything up by getting it wrong.
Can anyone help please.
Thanks
Steve
Sicxtyone

Re: 500 carb connections

Post by Sicxtyone »

Hi Steve, welcome to the joys of Morini ownership. The metal cylinder is probably the splitter for the choke cable.
Trace each cable down to each carb, there should be a slot screw holding the choke mechanism in the carb. Undo the screw and the choke assembly can be withdrawn as a whole.
Where are you in the country, there is plenty of help about.
Regards
Graham
Steve48

Post by Steve48 »

Thanks Graham
Yes In can see now that it is the choke cable and how to undo it. The problem I have is that the left carb slide is stuck so I am soaking it in carb cleaner. The bike is going to need some work to get it back on the road.
I live in France and have never seen another Morini here unfortunately so I may be using the Forum a bit.
Ming

Post by Ming »

Hi Steve48, I guess that you are down in the Lozere? I am further up in Indre (36). I know there are other British Morini owners over here, but I don't know where. There is also a French site you may want to look at - Motomorini Passion - who have helped me from time to time. I have lots of info (though mainly for the 350). PM me if you like.
Sicxtyone

Post by Sicxtyone »

Good stuff, have you got the carb off the bike? Much easier to attack the brute! If you haven't got a dellorto spares supplier en francaise www.eurocarb.co.uk are excellent to deal with.
Is your bike a Sport or Strada, personal choice I know but I think the black with red frame looks rather good
Graham.
Steve48

Post by Steve48 »

Hi Graham
Yes the carb has been off, the slide freed and it is now back on the bike. I have re-fitted the air cleaner box and note that it rather compromises the throttle action on the left side. Next I will re-fit the tank, bung in some petrol and see what happens when I give it a kick. The electric starter just whirrs. I plan to replace the cam belt and I have a list of bits I need which gets added to daily. Thanks for the Dellorto contact.
My bike is all black with a small red stripe and gold wheels. To me it looks great. Be even better if it starts.
Best wishes
Steve
Steve48

Post by Steve48 »

It is a Strada.
Sicxtyone

Post by Sicxtyone »

Yes the left carb can be lent over a tad for the cable to clear the air box, the starter can be a multitude of problems. Plenty of posts on here about that subject, if you are tall enough not too hard to use the kickstart. My 500 sport unfortunately is in need of an engine strip this winter, shrapnel in the oil and low oil pressure.
Graham.
Steve48

Post by Steve48 »

Hi Graham
Good tip re the left hand carb. Unfortunately the right side carb is leaking. A new gasket set has been ordered from Dellorto France.
So the big kick will have to wait. Good luck with the rebuild.
Steve