New to me mk1 Camel in OZ.

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
mbmm350s

Re: New to me mk1 Camel in OZ.

Post by mbmm350s »

Hi Ross,

Wish I was there! Looks fun :D
Last time I was in Australia was 1991 on our honeymoon we tried an XJ900 up some of those roads - not too great!
A Camel would have been much better!
May be a little screen would help with cruising the open roads ? Like the later 501s Camels? although they had square headlight.

Mark
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Hi Mark,

An XJ 900 on the pea gravel would be fun !
I dont mind not having a screen to be honest. It`s not like my KTM 990 I had where sitting on 130kph was possible/easy. Sometimes screens can cause horrible buffeting.

This morning I fitted the 42 pilot jets and BINGO ! I now have the jetting totally sorted. No stuttering or hesitation anywhere in the revs. It even makes the clutch/takeoff feel smoother.

To me having a 'satisfying' throttle is esentuall on a bike. In fact it was one reason I sold the KTM 990. The efi on the 07 model is virtually impossible to get sorted. Amazing bike in almost every other respect, but the throttle choppiness was a pain.

Looking forward to some weekends away on it coming up.

TBC :D
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

On the weekend I did a 600 km round trip to Lake Dumbleyung (West Australia) where in the 60`s, Donald Campbell made the world water speed record in the BlueBird. Bike was running fantastic, but 1/2 way home the front exhaust nut that was lock wired, began leaking. Turns out the thread was previously damaged. I thought I had it tight enough and lock wired it. Vibrations must have killed the last of the thread. The lock wired nut was still there but the thread was gone. At home I removed the head and have found the exhaust valve and seat are slightly pitted. Intake is good. But..... it looks like there is a crack in the head between the seats.

So I am looking at a bit of a repair bill. OR, I could be luck and find a good head for sale. Looked everywhere and no luck so far.

If you know of one, let me know ?

The last time I was down that neck of the woods was in 1985 on my Morini 125 Corsaro. The pic of it here is just before I left to go there. Notice the flash luggage !

Cheers.
Attachments
IMAG3968 (1).jpg
IMAG3968 (1).jpg (97.04 KiB) Viewed 7241 times
IMAG3967.jpg
IMAG3967.jpg (156.52 KiB) Viewed 7241 times
IMAG0343_1.jpg
IMAG0343_1.jpg (64.54 KiB) Viewed 7241 times
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Half way home from this ride there was a little rough running (popping on decal) so it turned out the front exhaust nut flogged out.
Here is a link to another thread regarding fixing this.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5690&p=30671#p30671
norbert

Post by norbert »

The most important thing after taking the exhaust off:
The next three to five times you take the bike on the road you must refix the exhaust nut as much as you can with the motor still hot!!! You will notice, that you can turn it in quite a lot more. Then will come the moment, that you can´t srew it in any more. This is the moment of thinking about to fix the nut, not before!!!

I´ve done about 200 000 km with my Morinis and never fixed that nuts with wires or whatever. And I never lost a half ring or had a rotten thread because of a loose nut. Take the tool to fix that nuts with you allways when you had the exhaust pipes off for the first rides :wink:

norbert
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Thanks Norbert. I probably didn't explain myself well. I did take the front pipe off not long after I bought the bike because it was loose and I wanted to check the thread. I know they can be a problem. I found the thread was 2/3`s buggered. I thought I would see if it would hold for a while. So after many heat cycles it would not tighten any more. Then I lock wired it (to be sure). Coming back from the last ride, the lock wire was still in place, but exhaust was leaking. Got home and took it off. No thread left.
The rear one is good. But that one also took a few rides to get it tight/no backing off.

It`s all good as after this is done I should get many miles out of her. I just prey the electrics ie ignition doesn't ever play up. Cos I`m not up to playing with voodoo.
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

Norbert is the master, his technique I also used for many many years on Moto Morini and never lost a half ring or damaged a thread.
I present below the tool to take on your travels it is a combination MZ exhaust spanner and tyre lever.
A little grinding is needed to fit under some rocker covers and make a perfect fit.
I think they can be found for 10 pounds but better to find one marked DDR at a jumble and feel the quality.
exhaust_spanner.jpg
exhaust_spanner.jpg (167.6 KiB) Viewed 7167 times
Mark
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Finally got time to get the motor out and remove the rear head. Things I have found. Feels like a step in the bore of both so am guessing bore with 1st oversize pistons rings etc. Rear base gasket was broken at the back of the barrel. Front gudgeon pin a bit loose in the con rod.

I am now contemplating whilst the motor is getting refreshed;
Stripping the frame and getting the crack in the rear engine mount fixed properly the getting the frame painted.
Painting the motor silver/alloy VHT Brake Caliper paint.
New nickel plated bolts for motor and mounts.
Making a nice alloy bash plate.

Question.
Both wrist pin bushes show strange wear marks. Front one has play where as the rear feels snug. Both have this marking. See pic.
When reinstalling the new bush in the con rod, is there a need to ream it for the new wrist pin to slide in ? Or should they be good from new parts ?
Attachments
IMAG4039.jpg
IMAG4039.jpg (40.91 KiB) Viewed 7122 times
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

Hi Ross

Its a shame this seems to be getting more and more work. If it wasn't for the exhaust thread you would have carried on riding it in blissful ignorance. :(
When reinstalling the new bush in the con rod, is there a need to ream it for the new wrist pin to slide in ? Or should they be good from new parts ?
It needs to be reamed. Please refer to the workshop manual, AKA the blue book. If you are a club member it can be downloaded free from the members area.

None of the worn rods I have, all 350s though, have anything like the wear you have. what does the pin look like?
There should be a hole at the top and an X shaped arrangement of oil ways in the small end bearing.
Mark
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

I found in the blue book the reaming info, thanks.
The pins have marks either side of the rod. But its only one pin that has play. Yes they both have the holes and a X in the bushes. I plan to renew both. I am hoping when I get the parts, the guy doing the heads and barrels will press in the little end bushes and ream them to suit for me.

I have re thought painting the frame etc Today I got a message to check out the old Ducati 450 Scrambler I used to own. It's in boxes now. I may be buying it back to restore. If so the Camel will be rebuilt but stay un restored for now.

I love this stuff :D
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

mbmm350s wrote:Norbert is the master, his technique I also used for many many years on Moto Morini and never lost a half ring or damaged a thread.
I present below the tool to take on your travels it is a combination MZ exhaust spanner and tyre lever.
A little grinding is needed to fit under some rocker covers and make a perfect fit.
I think they can be found for 10 pounds but better to find one marked DDR at a jumble and feel the quality.
exhaust_spanner.jpg
Mark
It is worrying that I recognised that as soon as I saw the picture!
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Well the machinist measured the bores and recommended I get .04 oversize pistons. So an order went in yesterday for pistons c/w rings pin and clips, guides, valves, gaskets. He will machine up some seats and siamese them. Only the front head had a crack (very small) between the seats.

TBC.
norbert

Post by norbert »

Then better go on with that little crack and observe if the valve clearence gets lost. Normaly you can do a lot of km meanwhile the crack is that small.
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Picked up the parts from the post office this morning (packaged well and 7 days from UK to Australia :D ) and dropped them into the machinist shop. New pistons, rings, valves and guides.
Can't wait for the heads to be finished.
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

While I am waiting, thought i would give the engine a coat of paint. looks good I think.
Attachments
IMAG4098.jpg
IMAG4098.jpg (51.29 KiB) Viewed 6824 times
IMAG4100.jpg
IMAG4100.jpg (39.89 KiB) Viewed 6824 times