Been and gone and done it.

Park up, come in and have an espresso. Chat about anything but please keep it clean and not too offensive.

Been and gone and done it.

Postby 72degrees » 12 Feb 2020 21:35

Deposit paid on a Husky 401 Svartpilen to replace the worthy but utterly dull ER6n.

Morini 350 weight <150Kgs, a bit more go, very good brakes - an electric start that works! Lowering kit ordered should make it manageable height. I like the 'any colour you like so long as it is black' approach. Went for the Svart rather than Vit as the riding position is more my favoured sack of potatoes style these days. The looks are so funky as to be grotesque - but I can't see it when I'm on it. What the new Morini should have been more like in my opinion. Don't buy KTM/Husqvarna shares though as the last two new bikes I bought all ended up with closed factories within a few years (Gilera (the scooters are NOT) and Voxan ;)

Meanwhile I have to decide whether to swap the wee vee engines yet again to reunite the 375/L5 but a fair few miles lump, with the frame it was in for 35 years, or keep the recently rebuilt but weird cam equipped 350 unit in the road bike. The 'old' engine had the benefit of new pistons, running no base gaskets, and lightened rockers with titanium lock nuts when in the Forgotten Error last year and by the last event I did in May was going really well - just that I wasn't :( - so I've decided to hang my racing leathers up after 40 years. Then there's the ignition experiments - but that's another story.

The remaining GFR 125 will be up for sale soon. I just can't cope with the racing crouch anymore. I get my Arcore lightweight thrills on the 57 175 'Sport' now.

Talking of Italian lightweights. Anyone up for a UK cut down version of the Moto Giro (just one day and no average time to keep to)? I'm floating the idea with the VMCC. In fact, any capacity of VMCC eligible (> 25 years old) Italian bike will be welcome if the plan reaches fruition.

Must close now - got to research Svatrpilen 401 Supermoto wheels !
User avatar
72degrees
 
Posts: 1297
Joined: 31 Aug 2007 21:24
Location: West Midlands

Re: Been and gone and done it.

Postby Ming » 13 Feb 2020 07:58

That looks interesting, and at a reasonable price - hope it's all you expect. TBH, I've wanted an ER6 since I first saw one at the NEC many years ago. Somehow never got round to it...
User avatar
Ming
 
Posts: 520
Joined: 01 Aug 2014 16:32
Location: Central France

Re: Been and gone and done it.

Postby 72degrees » 13 Feb 2020 09:02

Ming wrote:That looks interesting, and at a reasonable price - hope it's all you expect. TBH, I've wanted an ER6 since I first saw one at the NEC many years ago. Somehow never got round to it...


Don't get me wrong. The ER6n has been an utterly dependable and competent machine. It fulfilled the need I had for a reasonably long range, touring two up with hard luggage, machine admirably. I used it to go down to my old stamping ground near Limoges in May. Mostly done on D roads in mostly pouring rain. I can't think of a bike I would rather have used - other than one with more weather protection than a fly screen. I did find the standard budget suspension rather harsh and vague when I acquired it. I had a Wilbers rear shock and Ktech progressive springs and fork cartridges fitted which transformed it. A bagster comfort seat transformed both rider and pillion satisfaction. It will make a very good buy for someone with only 14000 miles on the clock and recently had a major service. Performance was adequate and if revved like a 350 Morini it could pick up its skirts and make good progress if required. I've never really liked 180 degree crank twins when I've tried them (mostly Can I Have A Go Mate rides). I thought I would learn to love it but I couldn't - V twin (90 or 72!) or single definitely my preference ( don't do 'multis').

My wife has decided pillion riding (other than very short bimbles) is no longer for her and so the ER6n just wasn't getting used. It was not the kind of machine that was constantly making siren calls of "just take me out and ride me". We are looking to downsize in the house department which will most likely force a downsize in garage space, so all the fleet must earn their keep. I'm not a 'collector' - the GFR comes the closest to that, but it is time for that to go. I'm keeping the 'Forgotten Error', as if nothing else it is a pretty complete spares kit for essential components for the road 2C/375 ;)

I'm hoping for Morini 350 levels of grin factor - but with a 24 month warranty, stoppie brakes and certain button starting :)
User avatar
72degrees
 
Posts: 1297
Joined: 31 Aug 2007 21:24
Location: West Midlands

Re: Been and gone and done it.

Postby Steve Brown » 13 Feb 2020 12:52

72degrees wrote:Talking of Italian lightweights. Anyone up for a UK cut down version of the Moto Giro (just one day and no average time to keep to)? I'm floating the idea with the VMCC. In fact, any capacity of VMCC eligible (> 25 years old) Italian bike will be welcome if the plan reaches fruition.


Yes! Me!

Quick edit-I know you're aware I'm not Italian or lightweight anymore but if you can turn a blind eye to that I am definitely (just) over 25 yrs old.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Steve Brown
 
Posts: 786
Joined: 12 Nov 2007 23:44
Location: Leicestershire

Re: Been and gone and done it.

Postby 72degrees » 13 Feb 2020 13:34

Steve Brown wrote:
72degrees wrote:Talking of Italian lightweights. Anyone up for a UK cut down version of the Moto Giro (just one day and no average time to keep to)? I'm floating the idea with the VMCC. In fact, any capacity of VMCC eligible (> 25 years old) Italian bike will be welcome if the plan reaches fruition.


Yes! Me!

Quick edit-I know you're aware I'm not Italian or lightweight anymore but if you can turn a blind eye to that I am definitely (just) over 25 yrs old.


Heh!

Best place to start is to express an interest by registering on this dedicated forum I've set up :
https://www.gilera.org.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3
User avatar
72degrees
 
Posts: 1297
Joined: 31 Aug 2007 21:24
Location: West Midlands

Re: Been and gone and done it.

Postby corsaro chris » 12 Mar 2020 20:21

Pete;

UK one-day version of the Moto Giro; great idea, but be aware that the Scottish have been doing something similar for a whote - the McGiro it's called according to Alan Pike; we were talking about it at the recent Scottish show, and I know that one of these events will be taking place in September this year, another (possibly) earlier in the year.

Having said all that, I'd certainly be interested in a one day event, using the Strada (1974); and I'm in Berkshire, but you know that already!

Good riding,

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
User avatar
corsaro chris
 
Posts: 1048
Joined: 13 Jul 2006 21:28
Location: Berks, UK

Re: Been and gone and done it.

Postby 72degrees » 12 Mar 2020 20:37

corsaro chris wrote:Pete;

UK one-day version of the Moto Giro; great idea, but be aware that the Scottish have been doing something similar for a whote - the McGiro it's called according to Alan Pike; we were talking about it at the recent Scottish show, and I know that one of these events will be taking place in September this year, another (possibly) earlier in the year.

Having said all that, I'd certainly be interested in a one day event, using the Strada (1974); and I'm in Berkshire, but you know that already!

Good riding,

CC


Yes, was mentioned on the VMCC forum. Probably realistically a Moto Giro d'Inghlaterra. In fact, I favour Moto Giro di Salopia ;) There may be an article in the VMCC Journal soon.
It might end up as a fairly low key event, but the more Morinis the merrier!
User avatar
72degrees
 
Posts: 1297
Joined: 31 Aug 2007 21:24
Location: West Midlands


Return to Bar Tabac des Sports

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests