New to me mk1 Camel in OZ.

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
rossguzzi

Re: New to me mk1 Camel in OZ.

Post by rossguzzi »

It is a DID 50 vm chain which is a 530. God knows why they used such a large chain for 40 hp ??
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

rossguzzi wrote:It is a DID 50 vm chain which is a 530. God knows why they used such a large chain for 40 hp ??
A good question. Both my 2C/350 (375)s have been converted to 520 chain. If it's good enough for a YZ450, or a Kawasaki ER6 I think it will cope with a Morini. Sourcing 520 gearbox sprockets is reasonably easy for the 'slot' mounting type (I even found a 13T) - perhaps not for the splined version?. Rear sprockets in steel are probably more of a problem to arrange, but some of the later Kanguros were 520 chain I think. For the mileages I do, custom alloy ones are fine.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Hi Ross, yes the filters can be washed in petrol and I'm sure that's what the makers used to recommend. One thing I can state for sure though is that you should NEVER wash them in trichlorethylene or anything really nasty like that. I'm not telling you how I know that. Petrol is fine, though as Norbert says maybe blowing with an airline will be enough if you are mainly driving through dry dusty conditions. Dry, dusty. Not heard that much round here lately :(

As for the chain, 520 is plenty and is lighter too. I thought it would wear quicker or break more easily than a 530 but not so. I was talking to a rep from DID some years ago who explained it to me. The shorter pins, bushes and rollers in a 520 result in a stronger chain, they are the same diameter of course. If you can get hold of a spec sheet from the chain makers the figures are all quoted there including breaking strain.

Anyone know of a UK sprocket supplier that keeps the Morini types in stock?

I like to use oil on my chains and prefer an automatic oiler to look after things. Fitted a Scottoiler to my Camel and a 'Loobman' to my Kanguro as it was a lot cheaper. Then I decided to swap them around as the Loobman enables you to give it some extra oil whenever you like at the push of a button, so handy for cleaning the chain of dust or mud as you ride.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Sheikh

Post by Sheikh »

Steve,

In the past I've had 520 sprockets the Camel made up by B&C Express in ally. From memory, they delivered in a couple of weeks. I sent an original as a template.

Using the thinner sprocket means that you can use a conventional M8 Allen bolt rather than the standard countersunk bolts which, in my experience, are self-loosening.

If you do order then make sure that you specify that you don't want extra holes in the sprockets, just the mounting bolt holes (without counter sink). The extra holes expose the slots in the hub that then fill up with mud.

H
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Thanks H, I keep forgetting about B&C! Good advice about the holes too.
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Around the 4 minute mark for a tyre change. :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNXHNV9 ... U61xNiCGSg
Someone else said he was going to post up some footage of me going past him. Will post it here when he does. They all commented how good it sounded :D
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

harrymuffin

Post by harrymuffin »

You can get sprockets in alloy or steel from the machinist who used to make Roger Mauphlings sprockets and now works from an old wood yard in Knucklas near Knighton, Powys - thats in Wales for those who live within 100 miles of London. I buy them as toothed blanks for around £10. Rather than use expensive chain oiler oil, buy chain oil for a chainsaw, much cheaper and copes with not flying off on chains that go round much faster than motorcycle chain.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

harrymuffin wrote:You can get sprockets in alloy or steel from the machinist who used to make Roger Mauphlings sprockets and now works from an old wood yard in Knucklas near Knighton, Powys - thats in Wales for those who live within 100 miles of London. I buy them as toothed blanks for around £10. Rather than use expensive chain oiler oil, buy chain oil for a chainsaw, much cheaper and copes with not flying off on chains that go round much faster than motorcycle chain.
Contact details for the chap in Knucklas would be useful, or a business name I could google. I can buy blanks too but not able to do the rest of the machining. I have a man that can but prefer not to call on him at every little job so would rather use someone who is doing that job already. I agree about chain oiler oils too. I've lately been using engine oil, the leftovers you have after every oil change. I used to keep them and top up an old can till I had another full measure. Then found I had to many such cans lying around from too many varied motors to be absolutely sure what was in each one. So now they are all dedicated chain oil! Strangely and happily it doesn't seem to fling any more than the 'proper' stuff! :)
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Update.
The last ride I went on turned very dusty. 1/2 way through I thought, I hope the new air filters are coping ! Our dust is like fine ground up rust. Very abrasive.
So a week after the ride I got to do some maintenance. Check air filters and I see they did not cope. They were new from Mdina. Sealed top and bottom with rubber grease. Dust got down the intake. SHIT !!
Heads off again. Valves, guide, bores etc OK but it looked like the valves were not lapped properly. Cleaned everything, lapped valves, reassemble everything and it is riding even better than before !
I think one of the valves was not sealing properly before.

So, if you live in a dusty environment don't rely on the standard filters. Even K&N have a bad reputation here in dirt bike circles.
I am going to get a washable foam pre-filter to go around the stock one. I will then adjust the jetting to suit.

So I have the bike running fantastic now and guess what ? HOUSEBOUND !!

Bloody virus.

Hope your all well,
Cheers.
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Update.
I received a tip of a Valentini tank for sale. Thanks Kamel. Im now in the process of fixing it up a little so I can fit it. Some flaking material inside needs cleaning out and a small leak. I need to move a few things around like the throttle cable splitter and coils so the new tank will slide on.
Looking forward to my 'Valentini Camel' :D
Attachments
IMAG4635.jpg
IMAG4635.jpg (46.15 KiB) Viewed 9008 times
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Went for a bit of a ride today to catch up with ol timers. Just a short ride out of Perth to the Swan valley then a turn off into the Chittering Valley, to see again a collection of bikes then a short ride to swap rides and a chin wag.

There is apparently around 300 bikes in this collection !! Tom always bought what was not in fashion and, well, just never sold things. Now it is almost sad to see the bikes, but hey, they are his and he can do what he likes.
He has several Morini`s. He says his favorite of all the bikes is his 125 Corsaro. I had one once and should not have sold it. He has 2 !! One of them has a genuine 90 kms on it.
His Camel he bought new and (he has a habit of this) attached a side car to it. He then rode it with his wife, to Alice Springs. That is in the middle of Australia. BUT, he did it on over 1000 kms of ROUGH gravel tracks called The Gun Barrel Highway. 1/2 way across the dirt the front exhaust thread came loose and before he found out a valve had burnt. No probs, he put wife on back of other bike and continued to Alice on one pot ! Around 60-80 kph !! Thats the Camel in the pic.

There is even bikes in the trees !
I got to ride a 1200 Corsaro. I could not believe one would be here. It was very nice. Interesting to compare to my gen 1 Tuono.

So my Camel is running very nice now. I got the big Valentini tank back yesterday, pin holes fixed so I hope to get it fitted soon. Will have to get the seat that came with it modded to suit.

Enjoy :D
Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (208.84 KiB) Viewed 8841 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (281.41 KiB) Viewed 8841 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (91.83 KiB) Viewed 8841 times
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

More pics.
Attachments
6.jpg
6.jpg (116.47 KiB) Viewed 8841 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (56.13 KiB) Viewed 8841 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (59.91 KiB) Viewed 8841 times
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

More pics.
Attachments
9.jpg
9.jpg (107.06 KiB) Viewed 8841 times
8.jpg
8.jpg (62.09 KiB) Viewed 8841 times
7.jpg
7.jpg (98.72 KiB) Viewed 8841 times
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Chittering Valley. A very nice bit of Australia.

Not a bad bike either :D
Attachments
12.jpg
12.jpg (262.12 KiB) Viewed 8841 times
11.jpg
11.jpg (273.37 KiB) Viewed 8841 times
10.jpg
10.jpg (106.45 KiB) Viewed 8841 times