fuse box on X3 and other questions.

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
steveffs

Re: fuse box on X3 and other questions.

Post by steveffs »

Final run approaches....

Still have a nightmare with the indicators....All four indicators and idiot lamp are nice and bright all indicator bulbs are the same watt (12v10w). All five flash very fast at the same speed. ( the first flash is a little longer when I operate the switch but then the fast flash kicks in.) I have swapped bulbs, I have run a separate earth directly to the main frame earth from each indicator. I have replaced the flasher unit. All I can think is that I have replaced the flasher unit with the wrong spec the one I have is marked as 12v 8-23wx2 max 4pcs. There no other electrical issues, no dip in brightness across pilot/dip/main and other idiot lights when I try the indicators.

Anyone got any ideas?
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

Hi Steve,

The flasher relay you have is designed for standard 23W indicator bulbs, i.e driving x2 (bulbs) and a repeater(1-1.5W)

Surely you need a 10W x2 + repeater relay?

Mark
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

A 2 spade flasher from my Sport Has 12V 10Wx2+1.5W 85c/m Super Wide M.Y. Flasher on it. That one worked OK with non led bulbs.I use 12v 10 W indicator bulbs on it in indicators as supplied by vehicle wiring products. As these are much lighter than the originals, easy to get and work well it was a no brainier for me. Much better too than those horrid mini indicators with 23w bulbs that you cannot see on the motorway.That’s all I know.
Good luck John
steveffs

Post by steveffs »

Thanks.

Note to self. Don't just replace a non working part in the box of bits with the same part. Check its the right spec first. Thanks to all your input I have a fully functioning electrical system. Horn, All Lights, All indicators and as a treat I have fitted a volt meter to the handle bars and have a healthy 13.5 across the battery when the bike is at idle. I have read and followed the carb balancing post in the members area and now have a crisp and idling engine. Just a few snagging bits to do before hopefully MOT this week end.

I have been playing with my gear lever and I have sneaking suspicion that I have but the linkages on wrongly. I have been trying the box ( in trainers and not boots I must add ) and it seems that the linkages could be attached incorrectly. If I look at the linkages I have put the long arm on the crossover spindle pointing to the 10.30 position almost parallel with the rear frame rail the one with the rear master cylinder. The other shorter arm on the gearbox spine again pointing upwards towards 10.30 . The threaded bar with the rose joints runs parallel and above the bottom horizontal frame rail. It looked correct and with a little tweaking of the threaded bar nuts it clears all the rails and moves smoothly. Before i start using a bit more force ( bike boots! ) I thought i would ask if this is correct.

Steve
steveffs

Post by steveffs »

First ride, Just took the bike out for 20 mile shake down. nothing fell off, nothing dripped out, nothing stopped working. Didnt stall and had a solid idle at traffic lights. First impressions having never riden the bike before. Excellent riding postion with reasonable wind protection. Handling is what i expected ( a cross between an xl250 and 650 dominator). Brakes are functional but maybe that will improve with fresh pads at some point. Engine is happy to rev and has no flat spots so it makes the best of what it has to offer. So the plan is now to ride it for the summer till the weather turns and then do the tank and panels over winter. But for now there is another Morini on the road. So this a message to everyone on this forum who as advised me and kept me going. Thank you all. I could not have done this with out all your help.

Cheers

Steve.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

That’s good news especially as there should be plenty of riding before the rainy season
John
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

Well done Steve for getting your bike on the road, happy to have done what I could to assist. Do all the gears select and work well?

I'm still resurrecting my Kanguro X - just converted the stator from the hybrid 6V/12V to supposedly full 12V so that's ready to be fitted, then the rotor, then wiring, fitting carbs and exhausts to see if the engine will run without complaint. Still a long way for me to go before mine's on the road...
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Congrats Steve, for bringing another Morini trail bike back to life. This is particularly good timing too, I hope you are up for some green lanes with your bike? Keep an eye on this forum for an announcement in the next week or so. :wink: 8)
There will shortly be set up a Kanguro Hop and a Camel train. On the same day even :)
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Ming

Post by Ming »

Good news and well done. I've said it before (and will probably say it again) - I found the Kanguro an ideal all-rounder, preferable to a Strada and much more comfortable than a Sport - and well fast enough for 'normal' use.