Front wheel spacer?

The 3 1/2 forum
david3661

Front wheel spacer?

Post by david3661 »

Hi all,

I have just taken the front wheel off my 1979 Strada to change the disc (it has cast wheels). This is the first time I have had cause to take the wheel off, so I had a look in the parts book to make sure I had everything in the right place when putting it back together. The parts book shows what is described as a "conical washer" 43.05.49 which I think should go between the fork leg and the speedo drive cover. This seems to be missing on my bike. Does anyone happen to know the dimensions of the washer? Or indeed if there should be a washer there at all? It all seems OK without it, but better to be safe than sorry I guess. All thoughts welcome.

David.
3potjohn

Re: Front wheel spacer?

Post by 3potjohn »

On my Cast wheel, K1 model the spindle inserts through the hub from the speedo drive side presumably then there is this missing washer, then there is a spacer between the hub and the left hand fork leg, the threaded end emerges then has a thick washer and spindle nut. ( I would go and check but pinned down by The Cat.) Well that is what I believe I have but cannot remember!
I presume the washer spreads the load against the hub/ bearing.
Not as much help as I thought when I started . If no one clarifies I will check tomorrow.

John
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

Hi,

I think that part is a metal grease seal for the bearing, these being pressed into the bearing between the races.
Nowadays most people use sealed bearings i.e suffixed ZZ or RS and hence this part is redundant.
Hope that helps
Mark
Ming

Post by Ming »

'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'. As you say it was OK before, you can probably leave as is. If you had a washer missing you would most likely have disc / caliper alignment problems.
david3661

Post by david3661 »

Thanks all for your helpful contributions. The bearings on my bike are both the sealed variety, so hopefully as Mark points out that washer is probably redundant now. I see on a close look at the parts book that originally only the right hand bearing was sealed, so that would make sense. Either way, thanks all. I shall leave it as it is, but sleep more soundly now!

David.
Mark

Post by Mark »

S’funny, this made me take a peer into the shed and I don’t seem to have a spacer of any kind between the speedo drive cover and the inside of the right fork leg on my cast wheel K1. There appears to be room for one though? Is this where it should be?
Bike still under reconstruction so not road tested yet.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I was hoping DT was going to exit the White House down the steps like Frankie Vaughan singing Give me the Moonlight but as he disappointed I instead removed my front wheel to reveal.........no washer.
John
norbert

Post by norbert »

There is no washer with influence on the clearing of the spindle. The old not sealed bearings only have these washers to seel them and dont cover the inner race. The only distance is the one on the left side between wheel and fork.
The drum brake models have a special "rubber" ringseal on the center of the hub/in the speedo drive to seal the drum against the grease of the speedo drive. This one is not necesary with disc breaks.
The drum brakes of the rear wheels use to cover the bearings with a "felt washer" to protect the drum from eventually grease of the bearings.
david3661

Post by david3661 »

Thanks to John for taking the trouble to check, and Norbert for confirming that the offending item is only a grease seal. Much appreciated!

David.