Importing vehicle and making a NOVA declaration

Anything to do with motorcyles
mbmm350s

Importing vehicle and making a NOVA declaration

Post by mbmm350s »

Hi All,

According to HMRC you need to fill in the C384 form to get a NOVA declaration within 14 days of importing a vehicle into the UK

However as of 1st of October 2022 a private individual can no longer do this as you need to do it via the HMRC portal for which you need to be a shipping agent/importer, despite what it says on this website.

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-i ... lling-hmrc

Can anyone substantiate or refute this recent change.

A friend has just brought an Innocenti mini as personal import and has been told he needs to use (i.e pay) a shipping agent.

Thanks
Mark
Tim

Re: Importing vehicle and making a NOVA declaration

Post by Tim »

I wrote an article about this in ATG 380.

I did the NOVA myself and I'm not a shipping agent (last time I looked anyway).

The form I used is not available on the HMRC site you have to ring them up (the contact number is on the site) and get them to send it. I found HMRC extremely helpful and they can explain what you need to do. I'm not aware of changes since October 1st but maybe I just got in before the door slammed shut.

My bike was brought into the UK from Spain in 2015 so I was well outside the 14 days rule.

good luck!!
Tim
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Mark,

If the bike was shipped over then the shipper would do this, if you bring it in on a trailer then I believe you can declare the goods at the port of entry, so why would there be the need for a shipping agent? Surely this is what the Red channel is for. If the bike or car was brought over on a trailer then it would probably be illegal NOT to declare the Goods at the port, (just like it is illegal to arrive in the UK without a passport - ok, ok, please do not go there...) maybe this is the point. The Goods should have been declared at the point of entry?

This is my interpretation, but the HMRC moves in mysterious ways and let us not forget Government is not joined up, but they make the rules...
Ming

Post by Ming »

I would broadly agree with Mickey, especially under the new régime where UK borders are now tightly controlled ( :? ). Any bike on a trailer must surely be checked when it turns up at the Customs Booth?
I would class the government as an AND gate, in that they both make AND break the rules. :shock:
Tim

Post by Tim »

Checked back through my file. The NOVA form HMRC sent to me was for vehicles brought into the UK before 1/1/2021 so not relevant to your friend's mini. The number I used to talk to the NOVA unit at HMRC was 0300 322 7071. I can only reiterate how helpful they were.
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

Hi,
Thanks all for the feedback.

My friend declared the vehicle at the port of entry, was asked if they were a motor trader and having said it was a private import was waved on.
May be he should have done something else at Dover?

So far he has established that there is no duty to pay, and he will pay VAT at 5%.
Cheers
Mark
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Oh well, as I said, they make the rules!

I concur with 5% vat on used vehicle imports.
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

He said Dover but meant Folkestone on the Eurotunnel. There is only combined border control and customs on the French side and no red channel on the UK side, if you have goods to declare then it has to be done on the French side or on line apparently according to another HMRC page which may or may not be right.
Mark