Welcome new forum members - introduce yourself

Club matters
3potjohn

Re: Welcome new forum members - introduce yourself

Post by 3potjohn »

As a ex-inhabitant of Wroughton ,welcome to the club.
John
budge

Post by budge »

Hi all, I live in Perth (Scotland) just turned 63 and bought my first Morini a 1981 3 1/2 Strada (as a non-runner) shortly before that, I now have it running with a lot of advice from Mark Bridger and by joining the Morini rider club and Mark's help I have saved money by not buying a new ignition system.

I got my first bike at 12 or 13 so 50 years riding now, roads, 28 years road racing on solos and as a sidecar passenger but stopped racing 10 years back and now ride my BMW R75/7 that I rebuilt over last winter and have done the best part of 3000 miles on so far this year.

I am looking forward to getting the morini on the road but still need to find a petrol cap seal as it is split.
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

Welcome to the club and to Morini ownership,

For the fuel cap seal, I bought some 1.5mm thick Viton sheet from eBay and cut my own to size. Easy job with a pair of scissors and a small drill bit or bradawl to put the centre and breather holes in. The filler cap can be unscrewed to remove and replace the seal.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

budge wrote: 31 Aug 2023 22:10 Hi all, I live in Perth (Scotland) just turned 63 and bought my first Morini a 1981 3 1/2 Strada (as a non-runner) shortly before that, I now have it running with a lot of advice from Mark Bridger and by joining the Morini rider club and Mark's help I have saved money by not buying a new ignition system.

I got my first bike at 12 or 13 so 50 years riding now, roads, 28 years road racing on solos and as a sidecar passenger but stopped racing 10 years back and now ride my BMW R75/7 that I rebuilt over last winter and have done the best part of 3000 miles on so far this year.

I am looking forward to getting the morini on the road but still need to find a petrol cap seal as it is split.
So, two bikes I rate highly. The airheads are marvellous, long distance machines. Was up your way a few weeks ago, visiting Taste Perthshire for a BMW meeting. An easy 300 mile day. Lovely part of the world.
budge

Post by budge »

morini_tom wrote: 01 Sep 2023 06:07 Welcome to the club and to Morini ownership,

For the fuel cap seal, I bought some 1.5mm thick Viton sheet from eBay and cut my own to size. Easy job with a pair of scissors and a small drill bit or bradawl to put the centre and breather holes in. The filler cap can be unscrewed to remove and replace the seal.

Hi Tom, Thanks for the welcome and info on the tank cap seal, I will have a look and see what I can find.
budge

Post by budge »

MickeyMoto wrote: 01 Sep 2023 16:03
budge wrote: 31 Aug 2023 22:10 Hi all, I live in Perth (Scotland) just turned 63 and bought my first Morini a 1981 3 1/2 Strada (as a non-runner) shortly before that, I now have it running with a lot of advice from Mark Bridger and by joining the Morini rider club and Mark's help I have saved money by not buying a new ignition system.

So, two bikes I rate highly. The airheads are marvellous, long distance machines. Was up your way a few weeks ago, visiting Taste Perthshire for a BMW meeting. An easy 300 mile day. Lovely part of the world.
Thanks Mickey, I do love my R75 and hope I can love the Morini as much. A 300-mile day to come up for a BMW meeting well done, I didn't know we had one.
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Back again. I was a member a few years ago when I had my Camel. I have now bought an early 75 (?) 3 1/2 Sport, wire/drum.
It`s now my 5th Morini. 1st was a 125 Corsaro Special then 2 x 76, 3 1/2 Sports, the Camel and now the classic drum 3 1/2 Sport.
The bad news is it is in the process of being shipped from the UK to Australia. I hope to get it around February.
I just sold my only bike today so for only the 2nd time since I was 14, I am bike-less.
Loooking forward to hanging around.
Cheers.
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

rossguzzi wrote: 28 Nov 2023 13:11 Back again. I was a member a few years ago when I had my Camel. I have now bought an early 75 (?) 3 1/2 Sport, wire/drum.
It`s now my 5th Morini. 1st was a 125 Corsaro Special then 2 x 76, 3 1/2 Sports, the Camel and now the classic drum 3 1/2 Sport.
The bad news is it is in the process of being shipped from the UK to Australia. I hope to get it around February.
I just sold my only bike today so for only the 2nd time since I was 14, I am bike-less.
Loooking forward to hanging around.
Cheers.
Welcome back to the fun of riding Moto Morinis. And I hope you'll receive the bike in good condition and quickly so you can start riding it before your summer ends. Not quite sure why you'd want to/have to sell your only bike in the interim :( I hope it was for good reasons (and perhaps you could buy another while you're waiting for the Moto Morini to come :) )
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Well it was an Aprilia Caponord 1200 Rally, not the most common bike especially here. Was for sale for a while. So when I got an offer I jumped. But it was fantastic. Looking to get a Triumph 900 GT soon to fill the gap. Having severe withdrawals now :cry:
BaldyBackmarker

Post by BaldyBackmarker »

Hello all,

I’m Steve Burge. I’ve managed to not buy a Morini so far, but hope to change that.

Bike background started with mainly small 4 stroke singles in the mid 1980s. Built a 500 single racer from a CB250RS and FT500 engine, which caught fire in my first race in 1987. Raced a Phil Joy tuned (ex Mark Astle) 250RS for a couple of years then built a Hejira Honda - which blew up in its first race. Spotting the trend yet?

Had more success supporting my youngest brother (Michael) with his Supermono and Post Classic endeavours on various project bikes; Harris 640 Rotax, Hossack 350LC, a replica of the Hossack with TM600 engines (and then the Rotax) and a Tigcraft 640 ‘midimono’.

I’ve had a soft spot for Morini’s since that first season of racing with Newmarket, Bantam and BMRC, where one used to be run in twins and 500 4 stroke class. But I could never afford one. Beautifully conceived and executed little giant killers.

Now in my late 50’s, I’d like to invest some love and attention on caring for, or restoring, suitable 350 or 500 road bike and maybe a Kanguro for lightweight tours in Norway.

Take care.
Steve