Back after 2 years in the company of a German.

Anything to do with the 1200 GranPasso series
Painter

Back after 2 years in the company of a German.

Post by Painter »

Hi all
This forum does seem very quiet, very few posts are there many GPs on the road in 2021.
I am selling my Bmw Gs 1200 rallye and returning to a Gp, my good friend has just sold me his h83, it needs a little work
But will make an excellent machine.
I am very pleased to be returning to a simpler and more visceral machine, the Bmw is fantastic , but I am old school and want an engine without balancer shafts and traction control and auto suspension, just good sound simple engineering that can mostly be fixed, and a healthy saving as well.
My old bike is still for sale I see, it is a really well cared for bike with no issues, I spent 4 years improving and maintaining it, Roofus a forum member bought it and improved it further, so if you are considering it I would go for it, I know it well.
Hopefully this will be another enjoyable chapter for me.
Look forward to hearing from Gp riders
Painter
corsaro chris

Re: Back after 2 years in the company of a German.

Post by corsaro chris »

Welcome back Painter!

My second GP has just clicked over 20,000 miles in 5 years, so a not hugely large mileage, but (most) of them great fun. Hopefully we will all be able to get a few more miles in over the spring / summer of 2021... Some new Club venues to get to since you were last Morini mounted - check out Caffine and the Machine, meeting place of the Warwickshire section for when get-togethers start up again, plus the Italian Day at the Ace Cafe - might even see some London section members there!

Good riding,

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
Painter

Post by Painter »

Thanks CC
Yes looking forward to riding again, I was last out in early Dec before this lockdown, but nothing since , so role on the de restrictions, and possibly good weather.
The bike has a tick over fault which has been investigated at length by me and others, but still not solved, I believe it to be a wiring issue as the stepper motor, Ecu , speedo pod and most sensors have been swopped for known working items, with no effect, it just dies below 1400 rpm, so a full strip down of the wiring and sensors is required.
I will be giving it a thorough going through, valve clearances etc, it has a BsD remap and I rode it back from Manchester for him when my friend bought it, it was fantastic with a really punchy tractable motor, so I know the bike well, and what it’s capable of.
It’s red and white with panniers etc.
What mpg are you getting from yours, my old one was very thirsty at 32mpg. I will be taking possession very soon so will be able to assess what is needed, but it is a very good spec and sound bike.
Best painter
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

It was the theft of a German that enabled me to buy my 3½ Sport, so I've trodden a similar path! It was too wide to fit down the side and was lifted from outside the house one night.

Interestingly, they caught the guy two years later growing pot in his bedroom and sent me a photo showing my R80 laid out in bits on the floor, like a stoner's lego-dream.

DD½
MRC 3082½