Rectifier

Anything to do with the 1200 GranPasso series
Painter

Rectifier

Post by Painter »

Hi all,
That maybe only be 12 of us in the Uk but it’s important to keep our GP s going.
I have used mine occasionally through this last winter, which has been hard work , liberal use of ACF 50 and hosing off the
Salt after every ride.
A few weeks ago after a trip to see my granddaughter, I could smell a pungent acrid smell when stopped at the lights, the bike was running fine no engine warning lights etc, so when I got home I could see the rectifier under the seat had melted the resin
Backing and welded the heavy duty copper wires together, it was close to taking out all the relay blocks above.
I spliced in a new relay block and renewed part of the wiring burnt from the heat. I have ordered a new reg from ultimate Rectifiers in the Netherlands, 3 weeks still waiting, its held up at our end , uk customs Brexit etc .
I bought a 3 yellow wire Ducati multi strada 1000 from eBay as a stop gap, fitted it yesterday with 25 mm spacers so it sits away
From the plastic undertray, it still gets hot but at least it will help, I would suggest we all keep an eye on out rectifiers.
My bike was modded to run direct feed to the battery, rather than running through the loom.
This alternator seems miraculously to have escaped any damage.
MickeyMoto

Re: Rectifier

Post by MickeyMoto »

A common fault on the earlier 1200s. My Scrambler rectifier burnt the wiring at a connector. I think the input is ok, it is the DC output. The load being the very low resistance of the connectors.

The early Corsaros had a mod where the rectifier output was connected via a 30amp electrical strip. The alternators appear bullet proof.

The later models had the rectifier in the open through the rear mudguard.

When mine went, the battery icon came on and the engine stopped as battery was drained. No other damage, new rectifier with new connector block.
Painter

Post by Painter »

Hi
Yes I believe so, my old 900 ss and elefants all toasted the input connector block from the alternator, my Gp has been updated with a bigger 10mm spade connectors, no sign of resistance or burning.
The rectifier was the worst I have seen in all my years, it was an electrex replacement, but it’s in such a ridiculous position so no wonder it toasted up.I would like to fit another at the front or side to get some airflow.
roofus

Post by roofus »

hi painter, both the corsaro and recent scrambler had burnt out the wires from the stator ,about 300 mm from the stator there are connectors then a block joint type near the rectifier ,i had mine hard wired and fitted shindengen mosfet rectifiers ,been fine since ,cheers
Painter

Post by Painter »

Hi
Yes thanks for info, I have just fitted a shendigen mosfet one from a Ducati 1000 eBay job , what model number / bike spec was yours just so I know I have one that is ok, it gets quite warm like the old( electrex one) quickly, obviously alternator dumping lots of amps.
I have also ordered over three weeks ago an ultimate Rectifier that has not arrived yet, customs hold up apparently.
mikebbikes

Post by mikebbikes »

Last year I pulled my Corsaro out of winter hibernation. It had sat in the garage with a CTek charger connected. On the way to the MOT, I noticed the volts dropping. By the time I got there it was 8.5V.
To cut a long story short, the rectifier was dead. No sign whatsoever of any damage, smell etc. I was on my way to the TT the following week, so I pulled the rectifier from my 2004 Bonneville, and it has been on it ever since, with no issues
Painter

Post by Painter »

Hi , thanks for the input good to know others I have done similar things over the years with no adverse effects,
Hinckley Bonny to my Ducati gran canyon hybrid bastard bike I built 12 years ago and it’s still going strong.
Cheers
roofus

Post by roofus »

hi steve ,i just got a regulator from these they do all the mm range 3 year warranty
https://www.carmoelectronics.co.uk/inde ... m4ovcbt5v3

works great needed something compatible with a lithium battery as swapped over to a a JMT battery from two tyres more cranking amps much better starting and 5 kilo lighter :D cheers

https://www.twotyres.co.uk/product/ytx2 ... e-battery/
Painter

Post by Painter »

Hi
That’s such a good way to go, I am tempted. The ultimate rectifier has arrived and fitted, I think it is compatible with a lithium
Battery, my bat is less than a year old .
The ultimate rectifier is beefier than the old and now it sits 25mm away from the undertray stays reasonably cool.