Water resistance?

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
PVC

Water resistance?

Post by PVC »

Hi, I rode my Corsaro last weekend and cleaned it thoroughly (lot's of water)....but the fuses near the starter relais were soaking and sitting in water since the capsule "protecting" them is protecting them from anything but water.
Next I went to blow dry her and after 50 meters or so the engine just became nudgy and it stalled if I didn't keep it up and over 3000rpm.
I managed to get home but felt miserably insecure about the whole ordeal.

The plug going in to the airbox on the left hand side of the was dripping water at steady intervals. The Engine would start anymore at all.

After having dried the bike and having it overnight in the living room, the next day, she fired all right.

HOWEVER...I did not buy this bike not to ride it in dry weather alone, nor do I want to never be able to wash it again! :?

Anyone some info on this? Did you have the same thing? Can you ask to treat all electrical contacts with a water repelling gel? How? What? Why? :(
-=2nd Place Is The 1st Loser=-
Henrik

Post by Henrik »

I have not experienced this problem, yet through the winter riding I would wash my Corsaro almost daily to ensure all the salt and grime from the roads would be removed. Given that I do not have my own garage, I would use high pressure washing centers, obviously being careful when spraying, and I never experienced any problems.

I have experienced the sort of problem you present on a Ducati ST2 I owned previously though...
PVC

Post by PVC »

Thanks for the feedback but unfortunately, I do have this problem and wonder what to do next 'cause I want to feel free to get out there, no matter what weather.
Henrik

Post by Henrik »

I will check with my local Moto Morini garage, as they are usually very helpful.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

I would be annoyed at a modern bike doing this too! It was bad enough with 60/70's bikes not being ready for all year use.

In your position I'd dry the whole bike off (as you did already) then treat all the electrics with something like ACF50. It does seem to be very waterproof and is definitely very good at corrosion prevention. I use it all over the bike, any electric connectors and any bare metal.

Steve.
nfitz

Post by nfitz »

I've had my CORSARO for a year now and put 3,500miles on it with 2 long trips from UK to Germany some of which was in heavy rain. In use these have been no electrical/running problems.

However, after power washing and getting too much water behind the nose fairing and accros the bars the headlight intermitantly switch to main beam.

I then use WD40 onto any switch gear and exposed electrical connections as a water dispersant .. no poblems.

Ultimatley the CORSARO is a superb naked bike and whilst it should work wine in all weathers its not the type of bike to run all year round in all conditions. he rider is too exposed as are all the electrics and engine etc...

Cheers Nigel.
PVC

Post by PVC »

Thanks for the tips, guys,...however and as said in here, it shouldn't be like this that I'm now scared of even hosing it down... :evil:

About the electrics being exposed, I find it really unacceptable that those fuses underneath the tank just aft of the radiator on the left side are mounted and act as water recpticles...anyway...glad I still have my Speed Triple, which has had some engine issues but at least she runs in the wet. :roll:
nfitz

Post by nfitz »

There is a choise - buy the bike and enjoy the engine and the exclusivity and put up with the fact theat the detailing is crap.
Or buy for the detailing ... Yes you can get better allround package from Ducati but these just too many of them!
Morini could make the bike better certainly and the limited funds ahve been wisely spent on the engine, but we all went into this with open eyes and should be writing about the +ves just as much as the -ves.
I had a ride out on Sunday across the yorkshire dales up to Hawes and down to the biker meet at Kirby Lonsdale - over 100miles. The only Morini in 200 bikes. Front wheel lifting in 1st 2nd and 3rd gears over every crest and a huge smile on my face as I passed a Ducati 1098 and an Aprilia 1000 Factory .. now thats why we have a Corsaro.
Yes I also power washed the bike and i failed to re-start. Had to lift the seat and use a water dispersant spray and re-charge the batters as I decided to have on 8vols? But its all part of the experience.
franky

Post by franky »

things like the detailing can be sorted by yourself, a few rubber bungs, bits of plastic bag and you're sorted :D

keeping the bike yet nigel? you know it makes sense!
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Have you tried that ACF50 yet? It is more expensive than WD40 but is a lot better and lasts much longer too-it doesn't rinse off anywhere near as easily when washed or rained on either. It seems to beat the road salt as well. Considering the cost of a new bike, a tin of this stuff is peanuts! It would be a shame to sell a bike you basically like for an easily fixed problem like this.

Steve
nfitz

Post by nfitz »

Franky -
Still undecided on whether to sell the CORSARO or not.
I've been offered 6,000 as a trade-in against a Benelli tordando 1130 which gives me the Italian exclusivity, the power and a full fairing. BUT i'm not convinced on the relaibility or the comfort to use it for any distances.

Ive also had a visit from Raymond from Belgium who contacted me throught the forum and he will get back to me on Monday. ... so I remain undecided.

If I sell its most likely the bike will be returned to 100% standard and the options sold off so 1st refusal to MM riders then on eBay.
Pazzo levers, PCiii, CAT free exhaust, Crash Bungs, Painted(black) single seat conversion etc ....
franky

Post by franky »

put me down for first dibs on the seat and bungs.
Oh a mates 1130 only made 108bhp at the wheel too and its got a monthly appointment at a dealers.... :(
nfitz

Post by nfitz »

Franky - I'll PM you if/when the bike is sold and the add-ons striped off. Seat cover cost me £250 before paint and crash bungs closer to £100 than i'd want to admit.

I've done some researce on the Benelli 1130 Tornado and it produces 160+bhp at the crank so that should equate to around 130 at the rear wheel. Iv'e checked with Alex at ManaicMotors and the best he can get out of the 1200 MM engine is 135Bhp at the wheel with a deat exhaust and full re-map. But with different camtiming and some r-mapping the Benelli can get over 160bhp on the rear wheel - ive got the dyno curves to prove it...

Thats not my real reason to consider a change as I cant use the power anyhow... i need the fairing to be able to use the bike on an autobahn, the engine and performance for the track and exclusivity for the local bike meet. The MM Corsar does 2 out of 3 very well. Thats why I'm not 100% sure about selling up.
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Nigel;

The use of a tank bag stops the wind rush up to 100 mph +, so that'll help when cruising down that Autobahn - at those speeds you'll be stopping every hour to top up the fuel anyway... 8)

PVC;

When I first had the Corsaro I rode it in for miles in a downpour (very heavy rain) and it ran perfectly. The only problem was water in the headlamp dip switch which gave me main and dipped beam together. Powerwashing obviously puts the water in areas where the aerodynamics keep it out? :wink:

Whatever, enjoy the ride!

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
PVC

Post by PVC »

corsaro chris wrote:PVC;

When I first had the Corsaro I rode it in for miles in a downpour (very heavy rain) and it ran perfectly. The only problem was water in the headlamp dip switch which gave me main and dipped beam together. Powerwashing obviously puts the water in areas where the aerodynamics keep it out? :wink:

Whatever, enjoy the ride!
CC
Hell yeah! I'm loving it! (but for the stupid things like the electric shit)

Steve Brown wrote:Have you tried that ACF50 yet? It is more expensive than WD40 but is a lot better and lasts much longer too-it doesn't rinse off anywhere near as easily when washed or rained on either. It seems to beat the road salt as well. Considering the cost of a new bike, a tin of this stuff is peanuts! It would be a shame to sell a bike you basically like for an easily fixed problem like this.

Steve
I will look for the stuff right away. Thanks for the headsup on this, Steve.