Handling differences

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
Whitty

Handling differences

Post by Whitty »

Another newby here! I've spent a while looking through the posts, and you seem to be a friendly lot, so thought I would ask a question....

Currently have a 1050 Speed Triple, but that particular bike was a deal too good to miss, and I've enjoyed it tremendously. But after owning 4 guzzis, and wanting to return to a V, road tested a Griso, but was dissapointed. So looking around at the alternatives, and wanting to avoid another UJM (Universal Japanese Motorcycle), came across Morini. Living in Dorset, it's a short jaunt down to 3X, where I was kindly offered a road test of their 9 1/2 demo bike. And I loved it.

Unfortunately, the 1200 sport had gone out that morning for Superbike or some other lucky journo to thrash, so I couldn't. But I feel the riding position might be a little better for me as the 9 1/2 is very upright. Getting round to my question, the different models seem to have 3 different suspension setups - 3 different swingarms, shocks, etc. Is there any noticable difference in the handling? I'm sure the Corsaro/Veloce will have a firmer ride, with more adjustment, and I believe tyres vary as well.

Any comments would be welcome, while I wait for the 1200 sport to renturn to 3X!
Roger
franky

Post by franky »

basically I think the further you up the scale...... Avio/Corsaro/corsaro veloce the better the suspension gets, more adjustable and stuff!

I've ridden a thousand miles on a Corsaro then a couple on my veloce, I'd be biased and say the best is the veloce. just more controlled and not as bouncy.

The sport does look fantastic too!
nfitz

Post by nfitz »

Can't comment on the handling on the 91/2 or the relative merits between the CORSARO 1200 and its VELOCE derivative. However, the set-up of the suspension on my CORSARO 1200 made a big difference. the standard settings do seem to have the rear low and soft. This can be changed to give a more front loaded agresssive ride which works on track. However, on slow/tight corner on track its possible to get the back to squat down and then the pegs can touch! The main advantage to the VELOCE is the Ohlins rear suspension over the Sahs on the 1200 allowing you to get it set-up better for hard road or track use stopping the squatting down under power.

I'm slightly biased as I would love to own the VELOCE but the extra dosh isn't in my opinoin worth it over standard if you go by the list prices, which for 95% of riding is awsome. It all depends on what deals you can get.
A 2nd hand Corsaro 1200's make good sence at the factory gives a 3yr warranty and all UK bikes will be fully updated wit factory re-work and upgrades.
I may be selling my 2008 1200 on 3,600miles to raise cash for the next bike if your interested?
franky

Post by franky »

also the front forks on the veloce are upgraded too :wink: between the corsaro and the veloce spec it was the front where I felt the veloce felt better.

what bike you thinking of moving to? You're corsaro would be a bargin for anyone looking to buy one.
nfitz

Post by nfitz »

As I cant get 2 bikes past her indoors & may change jobs in the next 4-6weeks which would require a bit of traveling across Europe I may as well enjoy it and do some on a bike.
Cant really do it on a naked so that leaves me with finding a fully faired sport/tourer thats not japanese.
Thought about a Ducati ST4 or a BMW k1200RS - any suggestions?
Dont realy want to sell the Corsaro especialy considering the extras on it and certainly wont be giving it away - but is somone offers on the money then its a fond farewell.
franky

Post by franky »

would you get a decent px price on a gran passo? I'd go japanese if you were doing proper milage though!
VeloceSteve

Re: Handling differences

Post by VeloceSteve »

Whitty wrote:Another newby here! I've spent a while looking through the posts, and you seem to be a friendly lot, so thought I would ask a question....

Currently have a 1050 Speed Triple, but that particular bike was a deal too good to miss, and I've enjoyed it tremendously. But after owning 4 guzzis, and wanting to return to a V, road tested a Griso, but was dissapointed. So looking around at the alternatives, and wanting to avoid another UJM (Universal Japanese Motorcycle), came across Morini. Living in Dorset, it's a short jaunt down to 3X, where I was kindly offered a road test of their 9 1/2 demo bike. And I loved it.

Unfortunately, the 1200 sport had gone out that morning for Superbike or some other lucky journo to thrash, so I couldn't. But I feel the riding position might be a little better for me as the 9 1/2 is very upright. Getting round to my question, the different models seem to have 3 different suspension setups - 3 different swingarms, shocks, etc. Is there any noticable difference in the handling? I'm sure the Corsaro/Veloce will have a firmer ride, with more adjustment, and I believe tyres vary as well.

Any comments would be welcome, while I wait for the 1200 sport to renturn to 3X!
Roger

Dear Roger,

My name is Steve and I used to work in the Italan showroom at 3X so I'm lucky enough to have ridden all the Morini range.

The 9.5 is a great bike but the sport is far better giving you a more sporty riding position and it also turns much quicker into the corners.

My personal best bike in the range would be the Granpasso before that bike came to 3X I didn't rate any of the tourning bikes but after riding the GP that completely changed my out look. It's the best handling bike tat I have ridden in that range, however you can't go wrong with any of their models.

Also they are the most passionate motorcycle company ever to deal with always updating and striving to make the Morini name at the top of it's class.

I hope you get to see Mark at 3X again and test ride the sport.

Regards

Steve
The surprise of the test is that we all came off the Veloce with grins bigger than Jorge Lorenzo's gonads! (fast bikes 08)
Henrik

Post by Henrik »

I had a Ducati ST2 for some 5 years, and did a lot of riding on that one. In my opinion, it was the perfect sports tourer available, and I got it after having had a VFR 800. Comparisons at the time was also with the Triumph Sprint ST, which I have to say was an excellent option too, but I just preferred the ST2. Never had any serious problem with it, and it worked perfectly through some rugged winters too.

I would not go for the ST4 though, as the 4 valve head requires a lot more maintenance work. Granted it has more power, but the torque curve is not as flat as the ST2. For everyday riding, the 2 is just perfect. However, if you can get your hands on the ST3 (and if you can accept the change in styling of the front, which I really have a problem with) that is by far the best. The engine on that bike is just superb (okay, it is not the Corsaro engine, but still...). Actually, even though I don't particularly like the looks of it, the front fairing does work better than the old one too.

I still regret that Ducati stopped making a sports tourer, but I am hoping they may start again, and that Moto Morini might make one too!
Whitty

Post by Whitty »

Thanks for all the feedback.

Interesting to hear your reckon the Granpasso handles best steve. Hadn't considered one of those. Bit of a quirky bike though. Could grow on me??

And interested in your Corsaro nfitz. Got any info / pics?

I'm not looking for a top-spec bike for the track, nor commuting. Just enjoy weekend rides/trips away, and a bit of a blat. Do about 5k a year.

Suppose it's down to personal taste. Guess I'll just have to test ride them all!
nfitz

Post by nfitz »

Had one contact from Belgium and have sent photos out - I dont know how to load images of the bike up onto the site so anyone interested pls send me their email address and Ill send them some pics.

Hadnt thought about the GrandPasso. Certainly better than the Triump or the pig ugly MotoGuxzzie Stelvio. - ill see what trade in 3X will give me against a new one.

Wonder if you can change the GP's engine set-up to liberate the same power as the CORSARO - that would be fun!!![/img]
PVC

Post by PVC »

Hi there!
It's the crazy Belgian again. I currently still own my Speed Triple, did some 85000 km with it and raped her so many times I'm wondering she still lets me mount her ones in a while.

The big differences are obvious and also a good reason to turn back from a 3-cylinder towards the mighty punch, kick and grunt of the V-Twin engined Corsaro.

The Corsaro is slightly shorter in riding position and steers a lot sharper. It has a harder standard setup both up front and rear which does make it kind of like a rollercoaster ride on rough surfaces.
It's top speed is also lower than the Speed Triple's, but the torque makes all worthwile. Your buddies will be braking when you'll be already accelerating out of and towards the next corner... HAH! :twisted: (also thanks to the slipper clutch)

It's not the bike you gonna want to wash or ride in the wet often, though. The electrical system is weak and faulty in wet conditions.

Aside all that, it's a real kick in the nuts and I love to ride her (but I still have my (t)(h)rusty old Speed Triple in my garage too) because of the shear power and torquecurve going ballistic till the end.

If you got the guts, money and can stand some electrical shizzle, it's definately a bike to enjoy after a Speed Triple!
-=2nd Place Is The 1st Loser=-