Two into one choke control

The 3 1/2 forum
buell1203

Two into one choke control

Post by buell1203 »

Does anyone have info/dimensions of the handlebar mounted choke mod from the 80's?

I don't have much enthusiasm for working on the bike at the moment but am collecting info for when I do!!!
peterc

Re: Two into one choke control

Post by peterc »

I've got a complete handlebar choke set you are welcome to - I've gone back to flip levers.
mgelder

Post by mgelder »

I would say that being able to use just one choke at a time was a positive advantage.

Using both at once would have the bike revving to 5k from stone cold...

[Luddite mode = off]
Morini stuff on RealClassic.co.uk: http://www.realclassic.co.uk/profiles.html#morini
buell1203

Post by buell1203 »

Who said I was going to connect both????

My last morini started better on one choke..the rear, I do not know about my current bike hence could use which ever one worked best.

I always hate fiddling about under the tank especially when a bar lever gives more control over off/ on.
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

'Scuse my ignorance but with a handlebar-mount cable set-up, can't you just open the chokes to the degree you need?

For the rest of us under-tank fiddlers, I've always thought there's a market for someone handy (read: resourceful Morini owner with well-equipped workshop) to develop a new-style choke lever that has the pivoting corner flattened off so as to achieve a half-choke position. Now, wouldn't that be cool? :o

For the record, I'm a rear-pot-only choker too but not now it's warmer here (sorry, Northern-hemispherers!).
Dom
MRC 3082½
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

My Kanguro had the choke moved to the handlebar when it was purchased, according to the invoice. I find it brilliant. Just crack it open a little and when the engine fires, ease it back to a regular tickover, no revving the guts out of the engine and no stalling and best of all no groping around under the tank for a small piece of plastic with winter gloves.... perfect. The 500 choke is on the handlebar too, under the left hand switch, maybe one of them would be good, the cables should be the same length?

The upside also being that you can ride off straight away so can warm up the bike properly, the neighbours do not get choked and there are fewer complaints about your noisy motorbike....

Anybody tried fitting a Dart left hand switch with the choke lever? That only operates one carb.

Only 27 days before the days get longer, and shorter in UnZud..... and I haven't started the Kanguro rebuild.

Mike.
buell1203

Post by buell1203 »

Nothing basically wrong with the standard set up other than the fact that levers break off due to stress caused as they snap shut.

I just prefer a bar mounted system as it is cleaner,simple and in the case of a morini gives full control over the opening of the enrichment device. Obviously it is not a choke in the true sense as per brit bikes but it's worth a go.