A Question of finish or What's best?

The 3 1/2 forum
mhsilverw

A Question of finish or What's best?

Post by mhsilverw »

The 350K Sport I have is fitted with a pair of Sito Black (chrome??) silencers. These, apart from being a bit on the long side mirror the style of the original black Lafranconi(?) silencers when the bike was originally made/assembled.

The exhaust/downpipes are also 'black' to match the style of the bike; but require 'repainting' every now and again with some heat resistant paint. I use some stuff from Halfords. This works but does seem to need re-doing quite often. But the finish is a 'matt' finish whereas the Sito silencers are more 'satin or shiny'. :(

I am not sure how the original black downpipes would have been finished (black chrome :?: ) and wonder if anyone knows of a supplier of pipes that are finished in 'black' to match the Sito silencers.

How or what do other owners use to 'finish' the black silencers?
Is there a 'better' more durable paint?

I am sure I have seen a 'Triumph' with I think "ceramic" coated silencers/exhausts - has anyone tried this as a route and can offer any details/photo (and costs?)

I suppose if I really get 'desparate' and can not achieve or aquire some black exhaust pipes I could consider a chrome/stainless steel look. I recall in a 'MCE' test back in the day I saw a photo of a 500 (that had a similar style to the 350K Sport) fitted with chrome exhaust and silencers instead of black. And I think I have seen a shot of the 350K Strada in 'blue' with a chrome system.

'Real Mart' (Martin Gelder) I gather was experimenting with 'some shorter silencers' on the 350K2 that I have spied him on at Cadwell & Festival of 1000 bikes and featured on the 'Real Classic' website. The last post I saw mentions "...I'll be putting a report on RealClassic.co.uk at some point soon..." - but nothing as yet.

If I go down the replacement route.... What is the 'best' system for the Morini 350?

As I said mine is a 350K Sport so not sure if that differs from the earlier wire wheel models or non-Kink fram models in terms of power/pipes

I am sure I read in a Classic Bike article many yrs ago that it was 'reported' that Morini's are sensitive to exhaust and silencers...so what's best?

Regards

Mark
mgelder

Re: A Question of finish or What's best?

Post by mgelder »

Ooops. Rumbled. Haven't done an update for ages. Sorry. The dog ate my homework, etc.

Since writing this http://www.realclassic.co.uk/moto_morin ... haust.html more than a year ago, I've replaced the cobbled together megas with a shiny brand new pair from www.feked.com

Being new, I could take them apart and repack them, which I did with some stuff called "acoustafil". This made the pipes quieter than they were when they were baffled with the additional baffles as in the above story on RealClassic, but still loud. I used the bike like this at Mallory for the Festival of 1000 Bikes, but switched to the crumbling Sitos for Cadwell as the noise limits are much tighter.

The bike runs well on the short megaphone exhausts, and *feels* more free revving at the top end than with the Sitos. However, my sitos are falling apart internally and I think they may be more restrictive than they were orginally.

I don't think the bike would pass an MOT with the megas on, and that is the next hurdle I have to cross, once the weather improves a bit. The accoutafil packing has proved very effective, and hasn't blown out in the way the original packing was doing after less than 100 miles.

My downpipes are standard 350K ones, and still have most of the original black chrome finish.
Morini stuff on RealClassic.co.uk: http://www.realclassic.co.uk/profiles.html#morini
mhsilverw

Post by mhsilverw »

Look fwd to the next report(s) on the RC website..... 8)
mgelder wrote:Ooops. Rumbled. Haven't done an update for ages. Sorry. The dog ate my homework, etc.

Since writing this http://www.realclassic.co.uk/moto_morin ... haust.html more than a year ago, I've replaced the cobbled together megas with a shiny brand new pair from http://www.feked.com
Which silencers did you fit? Any pics?? I see they do stainless pipes and silencers, but pleased I was sitting down when assessing costs.... :cry:

Makes me still wonder about 'paint' alternatives - anything anyone use thats recommended on the black exhaust pipes; as my down pipes are not displaying any signs of 'black-chrome' at all :?:

Or ceramic coating if viable (would that be as expensive as a set of the stainless gubbins from feked)? - Anyone done that?

I am sure a previously owned Morini I had (a strada if memory serves me right) had 'Armours' silencers (I think) and I recall 'sweet' running wasn't gteed.

Assume NLM may offer some alterate pipes and silencers - whats good and known to work well on a 350 (and ideally a 350K) :mrgreen:

Mark
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

Hi Mark,
I used the matt black heat-resistant paint on my entire system when the folks at the ceramic coaters said they could only do the job if they could strip everything satisfactorily first. I took the pragmatic "Italian chrome" approach and decided to do it all myself with rattle-cans. When I got the bike it had chrome pipes and satin black mufflers. Now it all matches and I'm rechroming the heat-shield soon. That said, I'd love to have been able to afford ceramic coating, provided it would have worked on my bike.

So, after the paint has cured a bit (go riding!) the matt can be rubbed really easily to appear more satin using your favourite rubbing liquid/TCut whatever, but be much, much gentler than you would be on other paintwork. After refitting them, I received lots of traffic-queue compliments - with the inevitable questions ...

With new exhaust clamps it doesn't exactly look a million dollars but it does look a million lira!
Cheers,
Dom
MRC 3082½
mgelder

Post by mgelder »

The ones I used were these:

http://www.feked.com/universal-reverse- ... -45mm.html

If you click on the photo you'll find there are more pictures. I had to sleeve the original downpipes further to get them to fit, and it's not an ideal solution. The packign they came with was on the way out within 100 miles, but re-packing with accoustafil made a huge difference to the sound level (less "boomy" as well as quieter).
Morini stuff on RealClassic.co.uk: http://www.realclassic.co.uk/profiles.html#morini
Ste lamb

Post by Ste lamb »

I have an 81 sport with black sitcom silencers and black down pipes . After the same problems as yourself with paint issues on the down pipes . I wrapped mine with grey exhaust manifold wrap which I thought might get me longer use before replacement. I am pleased with the result and even think it looks good so win win . Happy riding ste
peterc

Post by peterc »

Another way to get a shine on black painted pipes is to use fire grate polish, eg Zebo, although the finish is more gunmetal than black :

http://s1310.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... sort=3&o=0
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

OOOooooh, I do like that! I wonder if I could apply it over rattle-can black?
DD
MRC 3082½
peterc

Post by peterc »

Yup, thats rattle-can BBQ paint :)
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

MoriniRFeb13.jpg
MoriniRFeb13.jpg (95.15 KiB) Viewed 11522 times
MoriniFeb13.jpg
MoriniFeb13.jpg (77.8 KiB) Viewed 11522 times
Here's the finished look a la rattle can.
Dom
MRC 3082½
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

The original finish for the downpipes and the silencers on this model is black chrome. When I got my K1 I filled the silencers up with oil,then drained it and went for a blast,A passable impression of a T160. I think it helped preserve them but now the Sitos are beginning to bubble up towards the end.
I have sprayed my left downpipe,the rustier one, with Simoniz heat proof matt black.The 1st tin had a dodgy spray nozzle.In a moment of sheer genius gave it a mighty whack......Now, I can always do with a bit of hair colour........
I had to buy another tin,which seems to be OK. I haven't got my head around paying for new stainless pipes and then spraying them black.
I think there are no black Sitos in UK but maybe in Italy.I am going to Rome in a week or so,and will be keeping one eye out for anything interesting other than some untidy derelict buildings they've left laying about the place.