carb pipes on wrong?

The 3 1/2 forum
benshannon

carb pipes on wrong?

Post by benshannon »

Hey guys,

i replaced my fuel lines and when i tried to start the bike earlier it wasn't having any of it. eventually with the choke on it started but reved to 5,000rpm. it wont idle and seems to be popping when i turn one of the chokes off.

all of this is new behaviour so i must have done something wrong.

i have an electronic tap towards the front left of the tank and a reserve towards the rear right.

could some one please tell me exactly where my pipes should be going please.

mine are running from electronic tap to the carb on the left. it goes over the back of the carb where there are 2 options which seem to split into a v. if you look at the carb from the left hand side of the bike the pipe goes to the very back. the one next to it goes over to the right carb to the front of the 2 (still looking from the left side of the bike. the rear loops off to the spare tap. there is one long pipe running up of the top linking both carbs. i hope that makes sense.

she has been sat under cover for about 3/4 weeks without a tank on.

thanks

Ben
Steve Brown

Re: carb pipes on wrong?

Post by Steve Brown »

Sounds like you may have dislodged a vacuum pipe? Some models have a small bore rubber pipe linking the two inlet stubs. The stubs are where you connect balance gauges. It could also be a perished and split pipe. Another possibility is while the tank was off or refitted, the throttle cable got caught/snagged and they are not seated properly. The fuel pipe routing you describe sounds about right and if you had got that wrong it would either not be running at all or leaking all over.
Good luck with it!
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.