Electric start died

The 3 1/2 forum
benshannon

Electric start died

Post by benshannon »

My Electric start got progressively pathetic, then stopped working, and now doesnt even make a noise.

The battery appears fine, the kick start is ok but can be temperamental which is new. sometimes i have to bumper start her.

I have read things about stators but i must admit i am quite clueless. Could anyone have any suggestions what may be the cause?

I wasnt too bothered when the electric start died, but now the kick start is a bit iffy i feel it needs addressing.

Thanks
MickeyMoto

Re: Electric start died

Post by MickeyMoto »

It's the EU referendum. Cameron / Boris said bad things would happen.

Sounds like two problems. Electric starter needs a service and another fault either ignition or carbs. Sort the kick starting to keep you off the Vincent. Have you had the plugs out and checked for sparks?
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Try searching this forum for "starter motor strip".The motor may be gunked up with muck.
It is a simple thing to dismantle.The starter relay can also fail, with the contacts burning out, though in my case this meant a permanently active starter motor,until i kicked the relay!
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

Even better, watch our Technical Officer's superb guided tour of a starter-motor refurb. on YouTube. Just search "Morini Starter Motor" or similar.
DD

(And yes, it probably is to do with Brexit. Was it working just fine before?)
MRC 3082½
Michael S

Post by Michael S »

Hi
I am relatively new to the 3 1/2 but loving it.
My starter motor has, several times, refused to disengage as noted above. The last time it took the battery down to zero - maybe dead!
Could that it be a faulty relay?
I have washed the shoes and drum with brake cleaner in case they may have become too sticky; works on my Vincent clutch!
Does any one have a readable circuit diagram for an '82 3 1/2 Strada. My book is far to pale.
The more important question is where do I get a few cc of oil for the starter motor gearbox (70 sae) or is there an alternative?
Regards
Michael
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

Have a look at Lambretta gearbox oil - that's a similar SAE, I think.
DD
MRC 3082½
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

A permanently engaged starter motor is likely due to the relay internal contacts being partly burned out and welded together. I opened my old one to see if could be resurrected-not entirely succuessful. I tried an alternative and more readily available Durite high current relay which was even less weather resistant (well not at all in fact).Don't think a hgih current relay wants to be full of rain water. I even tried relocating it to under the seat but there was not really any where useful.So i managed to get another "original" and that seems to be ok for now.A lot of fuss for a "peripheral".
Such fun.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

I had a 500 with a dodgy starter relay too. It does seem a fairly common thing, so I will build my current project with another relay from an FJ1200 Yamaha (I think) Not that I know it will be suitable current wise, just that I happen to have one lying around waiting for a new job. It means a different mounting arrangement but that is very simple. Also, when I had the Aprilia RSV Mille, they too seemed to have dodgy relays. They don't look anything like the Morini ones and they seemed to fail with the contacts 'open' so no starter motoring. Their fora also seemed to recommend a Yamaha replacement for reliability, I'm betting any Japanese relay will do the trick, as long as it is meant to handle a fair current.

Ref the oil, I'd like to know where to buy it in sensible amounts too. Even 1/2 a litre will last you the life of the bike! I did hear somewhere (maybe even on a youtube video?) that any oil that doesn't have the stuff that attacks bronze in it will be suitable. A fairly heavy viscosity rating will make sense too. Soooo, how about the semi fluid greases such as used in steering racks/boxes and old fashioned Burman gearboxes??? Please note they are 'semi fluid' and do actually flow a little so won't just get flung aside like ordinary grease. Just a thought, like :)
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Michael S

Post by Michael S »

It seemed so obvious that I had a relay problem I bought one any way.

I took the old one to bits and it was a miracle that it worked at all.

The points were still glued together and the case half full of debris; ugh

Michael