electric start

The 3 1/2 forum
peter horwood

electric start

Post by peter horwood »

Hello all. I am thinking of altering my 1976 3/12 Sport from kick-start to electric start. I realise I will need to fit a larger battery and can fabricate a case for the same. I wonder if any members have altered to electric start and can offer any advice please. Before I am accused of sacrilege I admit to finding the left-hand kickstart difficult to manage in my advancing 73 years
hendre

Re: electric start

Post by hendre »

it is pretty simple, all you need is:
  • starter button
    starter relay
    thick wiring from the battery to the relay
    right side cover with starter from a later series 3 1/2 or 500
    flywheel with extra rim on it to fit the starter shoes
And depending on your brake/shift setup a long stem shifter (if it is on the right of the engine).
Some hours work and it should be a snug fit.
I might have some of these parts lying around if you need them but they will be posted from the Netherlands so postage will not me easy (the starter motor assy weighs half a ton)
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

You don't need a bigger battery, you need one that can supply the required cranking current without the terminal voltage dropping too low. That used to mean a larger, higher capacity battery, but these days even the smallest Odyssey would have no problem. In fact the smallest size is used to start the 1000cc Ducati engine in the Vyrus 4V.

Whilst the side mounted starter system can be made to work pretty well, it was a bit of a cludge. If you can find the later type of starter setup (as fitted to Excailiburs and Darts) then that is far superior and will fit into pre 'K' type frames with a pair of custon front engine plates.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
mantaray

Post by mantaray »

He Paul, do you mean that a Dart engine has enough room in an early sportsframe ?
GeoffJH

Post by GeoffJH »

Hi Peter, I had the same idea a few years ago when my wife was struggling with the kick start. Found an engine cover complete with the motor and mechanism. Didn't use it in the end, its still sat on the shelf in the garage if you are interested. With regard to its age I can't give an accurate age apart from its black which I can only assume its a late version. Looks like it has minor damage from a broken chain at some time. Pictures available not sure what its worth these days.
peter horwood

Post by peter horwood »

Hello all once again I have now had a conversion to electric start carried out by NLM. It took a day but seems to be ok