A couple of newbie questions

The 3 1/2 forum
atreyu

A couple of newbie questions

Post by atreyu »

Hi All, Well I've finally picked up a 3 1/2 Morni after years of "fancying" one. It's a project but its mainly in one lump. I've just a couple of boxes with it (Usually I seem to have more parts on the floor than this when doing a project!).

I've found the following things in boxes and I've no idea what they are, Can someone ID them for me please. They might not even be off this bike.

Taken from a bike on ebay..
My bike is missing the bracket that the ignition barrel screws up against, Is there any chance of getting one of these or do I need to make one. I presume its bolted to the bottom yoke?

Where can I get another 6 pole ignition switch, the key was apparently broken in the barrel so I have the original lock but no key. I think it would be easier to replace the lot rather than try get a new barrel in?

The rear light lens and light body is cracked, Can you still get the CEV units new? If so from where?

I'm missing the rear indicators and stems, I've seen stainless stems being sold on ebay but they're quite pricey, are there any other sources? What about the actual indicator unit. The two I have are pretty manky on the chrome effect finish. So I really need all four.

The only other thing off the top of my head is there's no side stand, Are these anything special?

The rest of the bike seems quite complete, it's missing the front mudguard stay bracket off the mudguard, yet i've got the stays. So making a simple bracket to fit on the inside should be easy. There's also a broken indicator bracket off the rear seat loop.

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Dave (North Yorkshire)
'It must be a .....'

Re: A couple of newbie questions

Post by 'It must be a .....' »

Hi, the first picture is of an ignition switch bracket which attaches to the nearside rear of an air box on a 500 road or trail morini (350 ?), next is a bracket which clamps on the steering damper body, number 3 I don't know and the last photo is of the centre stand stops that are fixed to the frame, good luck, Ian
RHThomas

Post by RHThomas »

Hi Dave,

Bracket in first picture looks like the mounting for the ignition switch under the l/hand side of the fuel tank, bolts to airbox I think.

Don't know what are the 2nd & 3rd pictures.

4th looks like the centre stand rubber stops that attach to the underside of the frame.
5th picture, normally this is for a button for resetting the trip meter, as mentioned, the ignition switch attaches to the bracket in pic one under the tank. In the picture it looks as though someone has tried to mount the ignition switch bracket between the clocks, but the wiring goes nowhere near.

For most of the items you are missing, North Leicester Motorcycles (NLM) www.motomorini.co.uk will become your friends, I bought a side stand, ignition switch and indicator stems from them last year (for my 500). CEV rear light units are available still. NLM strive to keep most things available, having them manufactured if needed. Check with them first before using ebay as there is a guy who buys suf from NLM and sells it on ebay for 3 times the price.
It's best to deal with NLM by phone rather than email, I have always found them very helpful. You can get a parts book and factory manual there too, can also be found online I think.

Good luck & welcome!

Robin
atreyu

Post by atreyu »

Thank you for both replies. That's started to clear things up for me.

The bike is a 3 1/2 Sport (cast wheels) so should the Ignition still be mounted under the tank? The bikes got K&N's fitted so maybe that is why it lost the mounting bracket. The previous owner has sourced another airbox so I've got one ready to fit.

I'm just stripping the bike down at the moment, and noticed the rubber cups for the instruments are past their best, and there are no chrome trim "rings" round the outside of the rubber cups, Do you think NLM will sell these too before I waste their time with a big list!

Just one other numpty question, how do the pillion pegs stay "upright" they don’t seem to have any locking device, usually there’s a ball bearing and a shim or spring to engage on other bikes. Looking at the fact theres a metal washer on the peg I guess its only the rubber tension holding it up? Should the Morini have anything else? I want to make sure everything correct before I get the frame coated (I've made that mistake before..... 'oh it needs a bracket here etc')
robint

Post by robint »

May be a good idea to post which part of the country (world?) you are in then maybe a forum member with some knowledge (there are one or two!) could pop round, have a look, and give you some advice and have an excuse to get out on their Morini as well.
robint
(Morini, Enfield, Deauville, SLK and home to support)
Emmohaswheelsagain

Post by Emmohaswheelsagain »

Hi Dave,

You have a proper project there.
If you can get down to Cadwell on Friday or our rally weekend based at the waggon & horses North Reston Nr Louth you might receive answers to some of your question. Plenty of road going 350's to look at and knowledgable owners with experience to help you. You can always join the riders club which isn't a bad start.
The chrome trim rims are available at NLM. Ring Rob there and he will send you a pair for a small price. I purchased some myself and the bike looks better for them.

Regards

Paul

ps members of the club get 5% discount at NLM so it is worth joining.
atreyu

Post by atreyu »

I cant make the trackday because my vans booked in for its MOT, but I'll do my best to be at next years with the bike and one of our others!

I popped into NLM today and picked up a couple of parts, very very helpful people. It sounds like everything I will ever want is available! Had a good nosey at the other Morini's so I have an idea of what it should look like now!!!