Brass sump plugs

The 3 1/2 forum
robinh44

Brass sump plugs

Post by robinh44 »

Hi,

On Sunday I removed my badly mauled brass sump plug using a pin punch to get it off. When I fitted the replacement brass sump plug I noticed the only socket that would fit it was an 11/16", thsi suprised me as I would have expected them to be a metric size. Maybe this explains why they end up rounded off and damaged?

Regards

Robin
1984 Kanguro X1 home built special.
'Using yesterday's technology to create tomorrow's problem's today'
SimonM

Post by SimonM »

I've been told the hex is AF size (plumbers kit). The replacement NLM sold me is steel and has a 19mm hex. The original brass plug on mine was well rounded before I got anywhere near it so I couldn't say what size socket would fit.
robinh44

Post by robinh44 »

Simon

Yes it is 11/16 AF, I was just suprised but then realised this could be why so many have been chewed up as the closest metric socket is an 18mm. I also sourced a 1/2" bonded seal washer to use as a good oil tight seal between the plug and the case.

Regards

Robin
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I just did my oil for the 1st time. The sump plug was some kind of steel,rather than brass of a non metric size around 20mm. I had an Imperial socket that did the job.No rubber,copper of fibre washer just a big flange/washer on the plug. Bit gritty so I cleaned the threads . Did oil filter(why does this remind me of our washing machine?)
Once again having a nightmare over correct torque data or lack of it for oil filter cover and sump plug.(too much BMW experience I guess) I did the sump to 28Nm and the oil filter covers to 8Nm but blooming scarey on old alloy.
robinh44

Post by robinh44 »

Hi,

Not that I am currently an authority on torque values, see my thread on flywheel coming off!!, but for whats its worth when I tightened my brass sump plug & oil filter bolts ie steel into ally I tend to use a smaller socket wrench so I limit the amount of torque I can apply. I then tighten more by feel than anything else. Also where oil is concerned I put a thin film of clear silicone on to just plug any annoying oil weeps.

Regards

Robin
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I used fell on my preceeding 8 British bikes by which time I had it about right. Still I am endeavouring to use my trusty Norbar wrench at similar but slightly less settings to equivalent sized bolts he teutonic beast. It's all good fun though.