Steering lock

The 3 1/2 forum
Monstyr

Steering lock

Post by Monstyr »

I've been musing what to do with the steering lock fitted to the stem, as I intend to get my frame coated over the winter it will have to come out if possible and a replacement fitted into the gap,while I dont have any worries about actual security I dont want an unplugged hole either.

I came across this as a possible removal method, I think the basics are the same.
Anyone removed theirs (without the key) ?

http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/lock/index.htm
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can't tell whether or not they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln
RHThomas

Re: Steering lock

Post by RHThomas »

Hi Monstyr,

I was in exactly the same dilemma with my 500 and followed the details given in that link and successfully removed my steering lock.

I bought a replacement on ebay from Germany.

I did find that the replacement came with a round cover where as the post on the 500 frame is oval so I reused the original cover. In other words don't throw away the old bits....

Cheers,
Robin
dvhttn

Post by dvhttn »

I also used that link when I had the frame powder coated on my 350. Just cleaned everything up and re-fitted it when I got the frame back. I did have the key though ....
Dave
Carpe diem .....
brianh0_4

Post by brianh0_4 »

I have just replaced the steering lock on my '75' Strada. I did look at the link in the above post, but it was really easy to drill out the tumblers with a good quality 1/8th drill.
There are new locks available from Mdina Italia http://www.mdinaitalia.co.uk/cgi-bin/co ... =068891950 for £26 + post.
It fits perfectly. Last time i asked NLM they didn't have any, but times may have changed and i needed new cam belts for my ST2!!

Brian.