Reluctant starting

The 3 1/2 forum
3potjohn

Reluctant starting

Post by 3potjohn »

I find that the bike,a K of 82 vintage is often reluctant to fire up from the starter motor,and the kickstart from cold but will immediately run from a roll on the hill, where it then runs OK. I have tried with one or both choke levers up.I have so far cleaned the carbs and fuel pathway,though not balanced the carbs yet. I am yet to look at ignition timing,maybe a project for this evening. This is all very similar to my old Suffolk Punch lawnmower.
Anyone got any bright ideas or had similar. Oh yes and to make matters worse after I set off down the hill the clutch cable nipple ,a solderless one shot off.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I put a multimeter between earth and the green lead from the alternator and got 186ohms so I guess that may be my problem. The insulated cover on the spade end obligingly fell off in 2 pieces.
Read a bit about rewinding the thing myself but will see how that pans out.
Jem

Post by Jem »

first stop is definitely rewind: it should read 250+ ohms. If you're confident then do your own rewind (but remember to take lots of photos then you can write it up for ATG so we can all learn...)
Rewinds aren't that expensive. Jim Mclean at Bikecare in Bristol (see ad in ATG) has a contact who does rewinds are very reasonable prices and a quick turnaround. Give him a call.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Hi Jem thanks for that info, I will get in touch with them. I know the road as I used to use it when en route from my former home in (dare I mention the name, Swindon) to Ashley Down Polytechnic in about 1457 on my A65. I will need to investigate removal of an interestingly edged nut retaining the Flywheel and see about some kind of puller I guess.
robinh44

Post by robinh44 »

Hi,

The nut takes a 22mm socket. The flywheel puller is a good investment, I was fortunate and mine came with one. I did however make a tool to hold the flywheel after mine came loose due to poor taper and probably insufficient torque. I modified an immersion heater spanner, see piccy below:-

Regards

Robin
1984 Kanguro X1 home built special.
'Using yesterday's technology to create tomorrow's problem's today'
SimonM

Post by SimonM »

John, I would be interested to hear how you get on with your rewind. I measured the resistance and got 199 ohms on mine so it will probably need doing as well. The bike starts first kick though.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I will let you know when I have gone ahead, having d/w the chap in bristol.
I may wait until August then I can time it in with a holiday.
The bike seems to start more reliably on the kickstart now I have cleaned and tuned the fuel pathway. As I sometimes use the kill switch to stop the engine(because my key comes out when running) I am learning to turn this back on BEFORE trying to kick the bike over.
Starter motor sort of works when engine has been running but it is looking more like boat anchor material with each passing day.
SimonM

Post by SimonM »

My starter motor is now in a box where I think it will probably stay for a very long time. I was not anticipating it actually starting the engine but I did expect it to make some sort of noise. Nothing, just a click of the relay.

Still, its no great loss. I'm leftfooted ;-)
Andrew Essex

Post by Andrew Essex »

I've just had the ignition system upgraded by Alex at NLM, its a set up he has developed himself, starts on the button or the kick without any problems. Well woth talking to them about the bits you need if you want reliable starting.