Clutch adjustment

The 3 1/2 forum
3potjohn

Clutch adjustment

Post by 3potjohn »

Always questions ....up at 6 to work on the bike.Its either very good or very bad.
I have removed the clutch actuation arm ,cleaned everything up and replaced it. There was a slight wear mark but I did not think it looked significant( having never seen one before). However it seems all to easy for the arm to touch or nearly touch the chain when I pull the lever. Tell me this can't be right! I did attempt to adjust to 15mm as per the book but this made it worse. Clutch is pretty good otherwise.
I would also appreciate if someone can tell me how their main feed to the starter motor is routed as this too was running perilously near the chain, which even for Italian electrics strikes me as being risky. I know, I know take the blooming thing off and save weight.
eekzoids

clutch adjust

Post by eekzoids »

Can't give you advice but empathise with this adjustment conundrum as I have noticed the same thing i.e when you adjust the clutch as per handbook the actuator arm touches the chain. I don't know what the answer is....just make sure you do that lock nut up tight though....I had the actuator arm fall off when I first got the bike. previous owner hadn't done it up tight, so lost the clutch action and had to push it home 3 miles.
robinh44

Post by robinh44 »

Hi,

Space is tight in there, I am using a different rear swinging arm and rear wheel and have had to move the front sprocket out slightly. I ended up welding a spacer onto the clutch arm to give more clearance. It might you have wear on the little bump that the pushrod presses on causing the clearance problem.

Regards

Robin
1984 Kanguro X1 home built special.
'Using yesterday's technology to create tomorrow's problem's today'
Jem

Post by Jem »

I have never bothered with the 15mm measurement. I adjust the actuating arm until it's just clear of the outer case (because as the clutch warms up, the arm will move inwards) then adjust for slack at the handlebars. Seems to work after 10 years.

The note about making sure the lock is tight is important. It happened to me. Apply the spanner from the front (not as shown in the factory manual) and make sure when it stops moving it hasn't fouled some part of the cases.