350 update

The 3 1/2 forum
benshannon

350 update

Post by benshannon »

hey guys,

many of you have been a great help to me with my bike. i have done a few thousand miles on it now since feb and i love it to bits.
on our holiday to jersey so many people came up to me to talk to me about the bike. including 2 very enthusiastic Italians.

so, this is what i have done since having the bike:
- full service (new cambelt as the original was still on. 34 years old)
- switched the rear brake back to normal ( grandad had put it on the right hand side to use as he had a false left leg)
- new clutch cable (this is amazing, i didnt realise how heavy the original nylon one was until i was able to squeeze this with one finger)
- forks serviced and repainted (by me)
- de rusted and lined the tank with caswells resin as the inside was really really bad. checked carb bowls today and no more rust coming through so its sealed well.
- new fuel lines fitted
- pillion peg repaired.

just taken all panels off to go and be repainted

jobs to do:
- Timing as there is hesitation upon trying to accelerate. debating whether this is a job i can attempt or is it worth just paying NLM the 125 quid quoted
- speedo cable snapped

heres to more happy miles
Attachments
10550968_10154394782235436_3397783566896615899_n.jpg
10550968_10154394782235436_3397783566896615899_n.jpg (150.26 KiB) Viewed 4892 times
Ralph

Re: 350 update

Post by Ralph »

It could still be the carbs or those silencers, my Strada gets a flat spot
when I change the silencers but it disappears after a few hundred miles
it could just need a few good runs, if you have any jets handy try going
up a size on the main's
Ralph
1975 Strada 3 1/2
Knott End NW UK

Image Image
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

Hi Ben,
sounds like you're well on the way. Nice.

Apologies if this has already been suggested and you've taken it on board, but do go through the carbs thoroughly and chances are, you'll get massive rewards. I suggest a pair of Dell'Orto carb service kits (they contain more parts than you need as they cover other models) and replacing your jets, idle screws, emulsion tubes, needle and float-needles. The rubber/viton tips of those are prone to wearing out and that leads to petrol leaking into your crankcase and a blown head-gasket. How do I know? :wink:

All those bits are available from NLM and if you're feeling flash, have the carb bodies ultrasonically cleaned too while the bike's waiting.

Re the hesitation, are you 100% sure the carb rubbers have no leaks?
Cheers,
Dom
MRC 3082½
unreal

Post by unreal »

Definitely worth dropping the starter jets down to 45s from 50s (this is NLMs first step) this is because todays fuel is not as good as it was in the day. Others have explained better why in other threads but it's to do with the transition from starter to mains that the stutter occurs. This will often sort the flat spot if everything else is OK, certainly helped with my Stradas.
Simon