worrying new noise.any thoughts?

The 3 1/2 forum
benshannon

worrying new noise.any thoughts?

Post by benshannon »

Hi guys,

upon starting my morini tonight to head home there was a strange new noise whilst idling. its coming from inside the engine. there sounds like something metal is spinning and maybe binding. the kind of sound disc brakes make when they rub a bit. it made that noise all the way home. everything else felt normal. any thoughts to what this could be?

thanks
Steve Brown

Re: worrying new noise.any thoughts?

Post by Steve Brown »

Hi Ben, this sounds like a typically difficult thing to diagnose over the forum. Best thing would be to get someone who has a least some Morini or general bike engine experience to listen to it. Or, where are you? If you were close to say NLM it would be worth taking the bike over to them and ask what they think.
From your description my first reaction would be to say 'that's exactly how mine sounded when the main bearings went'. Your description of the noise may differ from mine though :) and it may well be something much easier and cheaper to deal with. e.g. have you changed the cambelt? And you know that little wiring clip on the stator screws-is it loose or moved and rubbing the flywheel? That might do it-hope it's something simple like that, it often is so good luck and let us know so others can learn what to look out for.

Steve
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

Ben, does your bike have an electric start? Mine made some odd spinning noises when the starter-shoes weren't disengaging properly from the flywheel.
DD
MRC 3082½
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

A new engine noise is always a worry - maybe it could be the starter clutch if you have one -or even the actual clutch- you can always run with the left clutch cover off to check is say a clutch spring nut is the culprit.If not it would be worth examining the oil "filter" for swarf. Let us know what transpires.
John
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

You could pull the cover and see if there's any evidence of the flywheel touching the alternator and see if you can detect any up and down moment
in the mains.
Ralph
1975 Strada 3 1/2
Knott End NW UK

Image Image
benshannon

Post by benshannon »

Hey guys,

Thanks for your input. I took the engine cover off today to find
That one of the electric starter shoes has sheared off.
I sent NLM a photo and they have never seen one break like that
Before. I'll buy a new one. I assume its as simple as removing the
Serclip and swapping over?

Thanks

Ben
benshannon

Post by benshannon »

This forum is dreadful. How on earth are you meant to add photos if they are to only be 256kb??

anyway,here is what's left of the photo to show you the break.
Attachments
starter.gif
starter.gif (226.57 KiB) Viewed 8350 times
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

At least it was only a peripheral component. I think it is as you say for a single shoe.