carb leak

The 3 1/2 forum
dunk 1

carb leak

Post by dunk 1 »

have just put the carbs back together after replacing slides, atomisers and the seals and o-rings. however after putting it back together the rear carb oozes petrol from the top of the float bowl seal. I don't really want to tighten this further-

my questions are
it didn't do this before I fiddled would it be ok to put a smear of blue hylomar around this.
if petrol is seeping here does it mean that the float has gone and the petrol height is getting too far in the carb.
thanks - duncan
dunk
dunk 1

Post by dunk 1 »

i dismantled and swapped the carbs around and this seems to have stopped- the bike is now starting better than before but there is now a regular pop on the front cylinder exhaust with a little smoke - any ideas on what is causing this.
thanks - duncan
dunk
hendre

Post by hendre »

I think you might have to synchronize the carbs, out of sync is usually the cause for popping.

André
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

just a general tip with the carbs- if you find that they leak fuel from the float bowl as you describe and you are sure that the banjo is done up, the seals are good and the float is not punctured, then you most likely have a sticking float, which is causing the supply to not shut off. Tap the side of the float bowl with a spanner a few times and you will unstick the float. Always worth a try before you start taking the cabs apart.

Chances are the disturbment of switching your carbs has done exactly this, but now you're in a situation where the front cylinder is getting the correct mixture for the back cylinder and vice versa (assuming they were properly balanced before) Your best bet to stop the popping is to switch the carbs back again and then re-balance them (which you should always do when changing throttle cables and rebuilding carbs anyway)

The difference between a sweet feeling morini and a stodgy one can be as simple as good carb adjustment and throttle cable freeness.