3 & 1/2 new carbs

The 3 1/2 forum
tobydmv

3 & 1/2 new carbs

Post by tobydmv »

Ugh, I have a cuple old 3 & 1/2s i'm trying to get on the road with really sad original carbs. Both bikes sat for decades. I'm really tempted to buy some phb's or other modern carbs. Is anyone running PHB's or other? I hate trying to solve phantom carb problems, they always seem to point to ignition problems! I put a modern phb on my old Morini 175 and it usually starts first kick and idles like a top. The modern carbs seem to have a much better idle circuit. The jets are at least easier to get to.
EVguru

Re: 3 & 1/2 new carbs

Post by EVguru »

If you like slinging money around, go for it. There has been information published online if you search for it and I think I might have a file tucked away somewhere.

I've only ever had to junk one carb and that was on my 250 twin where someone had drilled the gallery plugs (presumably to clean the internal drillings) and replaced them with epoxy. The carb body may in fact still have been OK, the problem was with the needle which had been polished undersize, leading to fuel coming out of the main jet at idle, but I put on another pair of carbs before finding that out.

I normally just put the carbs through the ultrasonic cleaning bath and fit a rebuild kit and have yet to fail to get a bike running nicely.

You could just be replacing one unknown variable (are your original carbs OK), with another unknown variable (are your new carbs set up right) and that's assuming you haven't bought a pair of fakes, or the 2-stroke versions (seen that happen a couple of times!).
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
hendre

Post by hendre »

I've used PHBL25's on 2 bikes with success... plug&play if you have the right setup (centre column)
smotorboy

Post by smotorboy »

I have the pair of OEM carbs off my 1985 K2 that are not needed,,, I hoping to find them a good home on a street legal 3 1/2 ...They ran great when I took them off the bike and with less than 11,000 total miles they are not worn much... They were drained and put inside a sealed plastic bucket and have been in a heated garage since....

PM me for more info if you wish....

Robert Smith in California
Supercharged Morini Land Speed Racer