Timing problem........Please help!!!!!!

The 3 1/2 forum
kneedownstef

Timing problem........Please help!!!!!!

Post by kneedownstef »

I'm having problems timing my 1976 3 1/2 Strada. When using a strobe light, the timing mark moves all over the place. I've renewed the HT leads, timing belt and one of the transducers. I'm guessing the pick-up is at fault but wanted to make sure before buying one. Any help much appreciated. Cheers, Stefan.
buzby

Post by buzby »

Hi Stefan,the pick ups are normally very reliable.Does the bike run OK and what strobe are you using?I use a Gunsons Timestrobe on my 76 Strada which gives a fairly steady reading but I guess with any old engine it will never be perfect,cheers,Dave.
kneedownstef

Post by kneedownstef »

Hi Dave. I'm using a "Snap-on" timing light. I've since discovered that at high revs, the sparks die so I decided to check the ignition winding. I got a resistance reading of 156ohms and have read that if it is below 180ohms, it should be rewound. I'm in the process of rewinding it at the moment. Will let you know how I get on. Many thanks, Stefan.
kneedownstef

Post by kneedownstef »

Hi again Dave. The Morini lives!!!!!!!! I have successfully rewound the ignition coil and am now smiling from ear to ear after having a blast round the back roads. It's the first time the bike has ran right since it's rebuild. Cheers, Stefan.
SteveMRC
Site Admin

Post by SteveMRC »

That's great news Stefan. I would not have guessed that a dodgy ignition coil winding would have caused the timing to wander, I would have suspected the pickup.
How did you rewind it? what wire and how many turns? was it an easy job.

This is a problem caused by age, heat and vibration causing the insulation on the windings to breakdown and short circuit and will affect all of our air cooled Morinis at some point. I think the insulation is just a varnish coating on the wire.

Mine went several years ago and I noticed the bike getting more reluctant to start, it ran fine but was a real pain to kickstart. If I remember correctly I got about 130 Ohms when I tested it. I sent mine to NLM to be rewound. It wasn't cheap :(
buzby

Post by buzby »

Well done Stefan,spring is here and those windy roads are calling all Morinis,cheers ,Dave.
kneedownstef

Post by kneedownstef »

Hi Steve. The bike had been near enough impossible to start of the kick-start (I'd resorted to a 7/8" socket on the and at high revs, was loosing it's sparks. I got the rewind information off the Netherlands MotoMorini site. I used 0.15mm cable (38 guage I think) and did 3000 winds. I actually counted the winds as I took them off. I am now building a rig that will make it easier to rewind this coil and will incorperate a counter!!! so if there's anyone out there that needs their ignition coil rewinding, I shall be offering the service at a very reasonable rate. Here's to a most joyous spring.

Cheers,

Stefan.
robinh44

re: Ignition Coil Rewind

Post by robinh44 »

Hi,

I have just completed rewinding the ignition coil on the stator plate, my Kanguro was running fine ( circa may06 now mid rebuild). Coil gave reading of 190 ohms, have seen varying values for this coil. Manual states 300 ohms, various websites state 220-250 ohms. After rewinding mine, all 3200 turns!! by hand am getting a value of 280 ohms. I am happy with this or will I fry my transducers? any comments welcome.

Regards

Robin
1984 Kanguro X1 home built special.
'Using yesterday's technology to create tomorrow's problem's today'
kneedownstef

Re: re: Ignition Coil Rewind

Post by kneedownstef »

robinh44 wrote:Hi,

I have just completed rewinding the ignition coil on the stator plate, my Kanguro was running fine ( circa may06 now mid rebuild). Coil gave reading of 190 ohms, have seen varying values for this coil. Manual states 300 ohms, various websites state 220-250 ohms. After rewinding mine, all 3200 turns!! by hand am getting a value of 280 ohms. I am happy with this or will I fry my transducers? any comments welcome.

Regards

Robin
That should be fine Robin.

Kindest regards,

Stefan.
robinh44

Post by robinh44 »

Stefan

Thanks for the quick reply, also I have a few questions about the stator coils I can't seem to find an answer to:-

1) What should the resistance of the 5 stator coils be?
2) There are 2 yellow, 1 green and 1 red wires from the stator. Do you know what the red wire is for? only the diagrams show it going to the battery but I am confused as also the regulator will feed the battery?

btw do you still have a morini? I saw a for sale notice for your morini last year. How the coil winding going, the ignition coil took me about 2 hours solid.

Regards

Robin
kneedownstef

Post by kneedownstef »

Hello again Robin. I'm afraid I can't help you any more. Unfortunately I sold my Morini last spring as I needed a bike that I could commute on (84 mile round trip). I did't think the Morini deserved the abuse. When I sold the bike, I also got rid of any documentation I had. There is a really good technical website from the netherlands if my memory serves me well. If I remember any more info, I'll let you know. P.s, as far as I know, the coild winding has been fine. Cheers, Stefan.
robinh44

Post by robinh44 »

Stefan

Thanks for the help anyway, I used the website in Holland and Paul on the UK forum filled in the blanks for me. All running ok.

Regards

Robin