First Ride and a few questions

The 3 1/2 forum
Nick Moto

First Ride and a few questions

Post by Nick Moto »

Hello all, been after a 3.5 Sport since they were current and bought one late last year. New house move and queue of boring domestic jobs means my first chance to play was today. Helped by the fact my other half was away on a SPA weekend.

Bike would only run with choke on RH carb, whilst cleaning jets I discovered the manual taps someone has fitted don't work and my garage floor and me got a bit covered in petrol before a pause for a cigarette then crimping the fuel pipes with mole grips sorted this out. Searching this site suggested I need M16x1mm and maybe Guzzi ones as I get a reserve which will be handy. Any one confirm this ?

For some reason I thought gears were up for down etc. but they are just swapped sides from the Jap style, what a numptey, lots of slipping clutch pulling away until I figured this one out. Stalled once or twice while out and left hand kick takes a bit of knack, thing I'm getting there but cheated when I left home as I right kicked it on the centre stand.

Bike has no mirrors, looking back on a sport with me at 55 pretty much revealed nothing about what was behind me, mirrors needed, Halcyon bar end seem to be the ones to go for. Any thoughts here ?

The rev counter doesn't work at all, seems like it's electronic any suggestion how to fix this ? The speedo wavers a bit, but seems to read about right if you squint and average the wobbliness , I tested it on those roadside speed signs which are popular in the UK...

No indicators fitted, nowhere near as important as the mirrors but any ideas what nice aftermarket one might fit ?

Idiot lights don't work which didn't help my first ride and trying to find elusive neutral , I'd bought some capless bulbs but they are the wrong size. No obvious voltage present but then right hand side panel reveals very bodged wiring one missing fuse....how can such a simple bike have so many wires. More work needed here.

There's a neat little cubby under the seat for tools etc. but the seat is held on with 22mm AF bolts, how the heck ..do you carry a 22mm socket weird ?

Oh yes and the important bit, the first ride....still smiling.

Nick
bobajob

Re: First Ride and a few questions

Post by bobajob »

Welcome top Mprini ownership!

I'll start with the last question: Seat should be fastened using knobs that can be removed by hand

https://www.mdinaitalia.co.uk/black-pat ... -knob.html
AntietamClassicCycle

Post by AntietamClassicCycle »

What year is the 3 1/2 Sport in question?
Nick Moto

Post by Nick Moto »

1979 model.

The other horror is the tyres are Metzler ME99a s, loads of tread but must be pretty old rubber. I will replace soon. Search on here suggests Bridgestone BT46.
Arthur Farrow

Post by Arthur Farrow »

I have generally always fitted Avons and the latest version seem very good on my Morinis

Made in Uk too (for the moment)
God save the King (& my pistons)

ARTHUR

0771 007 8586
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

Avon Roadrider MkIIs good for me too, normal road riding all seasons.

p.s Arthur - you need to change you footer now its "God Save the King"

Gutsibits here in the UK do the taps 16mmx1mm thread as was mentioned. Work fine for me.

Don't think 79 model would have had a neutral light, or an oil warning light either;
Other than the obvious headlight main beam, one light just tells you the ignition is on and the other that the lights are on,
both of which are largely useless.

If you scrap the parking light circuit, another useless thing, you can simplify the wiring.
Mark
funsize

Post by funsize »

Hijacking the thread slightly but should help the OP, Mark when time allows could you identify the Gutsibits fuel taps (if R/H and L/H) by Gutsibits part numbers please as there seems to be a few options. Asking as I appear to have the same issue on my 1980 Strada, I also have a Guzzi so a regular at Gutsibits!
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

Hi All
About the taps: In the UK:

https://www.gutsibits.co.uk/pr/TheShop/ ... rch=SEARCH

These were common fit on many Moto Guzzis and Laverdas , but are not original for Moto Morini.

You need one of each. LH (TAA65401A) and RH( TAA65401B) refer to the tank side not the thread which has a special nut of dual thread.
Both taps have reserve function - you can keep it or just dispense with it on one side.

If you want a exact replica of the original RH reserve tap these are also available at eyewatering prices because they were fitted to Ducatis and hence are made of gold and obviously must be far superior to measly Moto Morini or Moto Guzzi parts.

Mark
funsize

Post by funsize »

Thanks Mark, appreciated :D
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

Interesting to read your post and remember back 17 years to when my motorcycling mind was 'readjusted' to things Moto Morini.

Lots of it I take for granted now but freely admit I was pretty thrown on a few points back then!
MRC 3082½
Nick Moto

Post by Nick Moto »

The tail lamp and front brake light don't work.

What is the logic here, there is a headlight which does work. What switches the sidelight on (which is disconnected at the moment) there is no switch position or is it always on, perhaps the taillight as well or is that switched with the headlamp ?

A bit of a wiring tidy in order, the battery was even connected positive to earth earth. The front brake light doesn't even have wires on it.

Tyres changed, fuel taps replaced with Guzzi ones, carbs cleaned and balanced, exhaust now actually tight and leak free. Thanks for all the advice.
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

Nick Moto wrote: 19 Feb 2023 17:14 What is the logic here, there is a headlight which does work. What switches the sidelight on (which is disconnected at the moment) there is no switch position or is it always on, perhaps the taillight as well or is that switched with the headlamp ?
From your description it sounds like it doesn't have the original for 1979 black plastic housing CEV switch on the left side,
this has an obvious lights on-pilot-off switch on the right, the switch on the left is main/dip.

For yours in 1979 the ignition switch should have 6 poles, i.e six wires and not a 5 pole which is what was fitted before 1978 and this had the lights on/off function via they key.
It is very common on Morinis for these switches, both handlebar and ignition to get replaced and often not with originals and often with parts from other bikes and scooters.
Mark
Nick Moto

Post by Nick Moto »

The handlebar switch has no separate sidelight and the key switch is 6 pole. And doesn't work correctly. I can see the yellow black should be live in one or more positions but isn't when I take the switch apart one of the 3 sliding contact plates is partially blown. I could wire it up differently ie sidelight on with ignition which isn't mad but the switch is VERY worn. A google/ebay around doesn't show up any source of these.

Anyone know where to get a new 6 pole ingintion switch ?

If not there are loads of generic/Chinese ones....but then even more wire fiddling needed.

Nick