Starter motor not engaging engine not turning

The 3 1/2 forum
Fastmongrel

Starter motor not engaging engine not turning

Post by Fastmongrel »

Tried to fire up my 81 Strada and the starter motor just whirrs away but doesn't turn the engine over. I presume the starter clutch has decided to give up and die on me but is there anything else I should be looking at.

Battery fully charged and the starter is spinning fast.

I have a video clip of the sound when starter is spinning but can't attach the file. It sounds like a electric drill whirring away but no clanking or any other noise.
1981 3 1/2 Strada
Fastmongrel

Re: Starter motor not engaging engine not turning

Post by Fastmongrel »

Took side cover off and cleaned everything up with brake cleaner. Wiggled the three centrifugal clutch arms and made sure they were free. Started first pop.

How much friction material should the clutch arms have on them and if I need to get them relined can they be done by the usual clutch and brake relining people. I suppose I should do them they felt a bit oily.
1981 3 1/2 Strada
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

I would have suggested emery cloth on the shoes and the metal band after a good degrease. Glad you found the problem.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I might have said that mine sometimes does not like having the cover off and back on. After a shortish ride it seems to work. Must be a matter of slight alignment but I have never figured it.
Al Limite

Post by Al Limite »

Having just rebuilt my starter motor I explored options to reline or replace the shoes. In January 2023 either Saftek or Villiers will reline them for £35 + VAT. Doug at MDINA will sell you a new second generation ( heavier and more efficient ) set for approaching £100 ( less if you are a MRC member ). Whatever you do be meticulously clean and ensure any starter chain grease etc. contaminates neither the shoes or the drum. Prior to refitting I cleaned all contacting surfaces again with brake cleaner.
Fastmongrel

Post by Fastmongrel »

Al Limite wrote: 21 Feb 2023 08:38 Having just rebuilt my starter motor I explored options to reline or replace the shoes. In January 2023 either Saftek or Villiers will reline them for £35 + VAT. Doug at MDINA will sell you a new second generation ( heavier and more efficient ) set for approaching £100 ( less if you are a MRC member ). Whatever you do be meticulously clean and ensure any starter chain grease etc. contaminates neither the shoes or the drum. Prior to refitting I cleaned all contacting surfaces again with brake cleaner.
Thanks excellent information I think I will get the arms relined. Do you have to send the drum off as well so the linings can be machined to fit. I have never had a starter clutch problem so I am a bit vague on how things are done.
1981 3 1/2 Strada
Al Limite

Post by Al Limite »

I did not get my shoes re lined on the premise that after forty plus years there was probably some wear where they pivot on the three mounting posts and with new shoes you also got new springs. Having replaced all the bearings, seals and the bronze gear my attitude was to renew all parts (including a modern relay switch) in the hope that beyond normal maintainance, I would not need any further remedial work for some time.
With respect to providing the drum to a re lining company I would be inclined to take the four items to your chosen business and discuss their requirements.
Good luck