1976 Starter motor field coils

The 3 1/2 forum
Michael S

1976 Starter motor field coils

Post by Michael S »

It was a nice day until we put the starter motor/gear-box assembly together.
Got some new brushes, sorted out the brush springs then saw the looped piece of wire from one of the field oils drop off. O dear.
Can any one tell where I can get a new or second hand coil or can some clever chap strip back the insulation a bit and make a new connection.
Also can any one tell me what the two M4 12mm long screws on the Commutator cover do?for a little while longer
Looks as if I am going to be kick starting
Regards one and all
Michael
Fastmongrel

Re: 1976 Starter motor field coils

Post by Fastmongrel »

Can't help you with your problem but I hope you can help me with my starter problem.

My starter clutch is slipping and I think it needs new linings on the centrifugal clutch arms. I have spoken to a local company that does clutch relining but they want to know what thickness linings to fit. I can't find the thickness in the Morini blue book and Google isn't helping. I was wondering if you had had the clutch relined and what thickness was fitted.
1981 3 1/2 Strada
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

There is quite an extensive thread on the 500 section.If you search using “Morini starter clutch” it may help.
Good hunting.
Michael S

Post by Michael S »

Good morning
Thanks for the quick response
I have not done anything to the clutch although I probably should consider the bushes.
There is plenty of meat on the shoes with a around 5mm at the max.
Regards
Michael
Michael S

Post by Michael S »

I will look at the 500 thread when I get back from a visit to a well known local mender of electric motors. I am fearful of the price I am likely to be given!!
Michael
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Yes I too am fearful as the Glass Palace have emailed telling me my VW Golf needs a cambelt change. I said I bet it is more than my Morini ones and was not wrong.
My original shoes are in a box.The friction material at the thickest part is 4.35 mm.
The box was what the replacement heavier type shoes came in marked Surflex S1419,
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

3potjohn wrote: 22 Feb 2023 15:58 Yes I too am fearful as the Glass Palace have emailed telling me my VW Golf needs a cambelt change. I said I bet it is more than my Morini ones and was not wrong.
Straying off topic but I recall doing a Mk3 Golf cambelt and it was incredibly simple. Basically could do the whole job from in the wheel arch in about 30 minutes. One of those jobs that that goes so well you fear you've missed something.
Michael S

Post by Michael S »

Hi every one
I started this thread and having got most of the bits I find on the final assembly that one the brush retaining springs is bent strangely.
The spring, when off the motor, is about 1 cm diameter with the tail about another ! cm.
Has any got a spare pair they can sell or give me?
Just solved a long standing carburation problem which of course ended up being an electrics problem. He Ho
Regards
Michael
bigred

Post by bigred »

hi i have an old 500 starter motor spring. I dont know if they are the same but suspect they might be. see pic. If suitable personal message me and we can arrange something
Attachments
motor brush.jpg
motor brush.jpg (319.63 KiB) Viewed 1534 times
Michael S

Post by Michael S »

Hi
Many thanks for the quick response. That looks exactly what I need.
If I can work out the private message bit you we can set something up
Michael
bigred

Post by bigred »

Michael just let me know your address and I will post for free. Just forward on the goodwill to help another owner if you can.
cheers
Paul