Disc lock/security

The 3 1/2 forum
martinaccarter

Disc lock/security

Post by martinaccarter »

Hello to All

I wonder whether anyone knows where I can lay my hands on a disc lock for our large by modern standards front disc? Failing that, any suggestions on security techniques would be very welcome. I'm going on tour over the summer and will be staying overnight in hotels and am keen to try and make the bike as secure as possible. I have a 6ft padlock chain but not a lot else

Many thanks in advance

Martin
mbmm350s

Re: Disc lock/security

Post by mbmm350s »

Martin,

Having had a bike stolen from a hotel, 1/2 mile from main road parked near a CCTV camera, which surprise surprise wasn't working, I would now think twice about taking a bike to a hotel.

It would have to have secure, preferably garaged parking, not in a public car park some distance away, and for sure chained to something.
Worth a phone call to hotel to see if they can accomodate the bike out of sight . Independent Pubs/B&Bs might be more flexible than chain type hotels.

Or have a look on here and other places
https://www.thebikerguide.co.uk/bikerfr ... ommodation

Depending on where you are local MRC members may be able to garage the bike for you. Give you a lift to/from hotel.

I much prefer camping.

Once saw two blokes with a bike front wheel on a skateboard, disk lock in place, so worth locking rear wheel. They can grind it off later
Mark
funsize

Post by funsize »

Having been in the trade for most of my life I’ve known of a lot of bikes nicked in all sorts of bizarre situations. I remember once a dealer showing me round his new premises proudly boasting how secure they were; I looked up and said ‘aren’t you worried about the skylights?’ ‘No’ came the answer ‘They’re far too high for anyone to lift anything up and out’. Two weeks later, you’ll be able to guess the rest, even high roofs are accessible for the right reward by the right people. Fact is if they want it they’ll take it, it’s just a case of how time consuming you can make it so they move on to the next target. Irrespective of where and what you lock it with start with a black, non-reflective bike cover that covers everything. This means some won’t notice the black lump-especially at night- and thieves really don’t like wasting time peering under covers, making it obvious the contents aren’t theirs. The Met concluded after the scooter mugging incidents of a few years ago that the bike/scooter covered up was the biggest initial deterrent. HTH
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

I really like the clamps that lock the front brake lever on.
MRC 3082½
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

Daddy Dom wrote: 23 Mar 2023 01:21 I really like the clamps that lock the front brake lever on.
They strike me as utterly useless. Faced with that I'd either cut the brake cable or just uncrack the banjo by the disc. Either way, no brake pressure = no lock.
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

They immobilise the throttle as well and like all "anti-theft" devices, absolutely nothing works 100% if somebody wants to steal your bike. These are a good visual deterrent.
MRC 3082½
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I have had to leave bikes “on the streets of France” more than once and have returned in the morning with great relief.
No extra lock either. The cordless angle grinder brigade will soon have it away anyhow.