Starting from cold

The 3 1/2 forum
martinaccarter

Starting from cold

Post by martinaccarter »

Hello All

My 1977 Strada starts first kick when hot. It even starts first kick after a 3 mile ride to the shops from cold. But I really struggle to start it from dead cold. I’ve tried all combinations - chokes on/off. One choke on. Other choke on. No throttle. Little throttle etc etc. I live on a hill so bump starts are easy and it flies into life so easily when I let the clutch go in second at about 6/7mph.

It’s got fresh plugs. I’m hoping someone to give me a steer on what to try next - maybe a new leg!!

Many thanks

Martin
Steve Brown

Re: Starting from cold

Post by Steve Brown »

Hi Martin, are the choke jets clear? and the passages in the float bowl that feed them? Do the chokes have any effect at all once running? My own bike was terrible for this when new, but that had been messed up by the dealers and it had a demagnetised flywheel so a very weak spark! Once started it was ok.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
martinaccarter

Post by martinaccarter »

Thanks for your response Steve. The answer is ‘I think so’! I’ve had the carbs off and gone through the rebuild per PC’s video with service kits. A friend of mine mentioned float bowl levels which I didn’t check so I’m going to whip the carbs off again and I’ll double check the chokes at that time

In the meantime, I’ve found that if I have both chokes on plus 1/4 throttle it will fire up after a couple of kicks

I’m new to the Morini world and so don’t know how idiosyncratic they are to start. I also have a Velocette Venom so I’m sort of used to bikes not starting very well but I’m sure that the Morinis normally fire up on one or two kicks

Thanks

Martin
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

With mine it's one choke on to start from cold. Not both and not none. How can that make sense to have choke on one carb?
RedVee

Post by RedVee »

Vitesse wrote: 31 Mar 2023 14:24 With mine it's one choke on to start from cold. Not both and not none. How can that make sense to have choke on one carb?
My Strada is exactly the same. No sense at all!
Morinis & Motorcycles - Is there anything else?
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Vitesse wrote: 31 Mar 2023 14:24 With mine it's one choke on to start from cold. Not both and not none. How can that make sense to have choke on one carb?
No sense at all. One of mine needs both chokes to start from cold, the other prefers only one. Same model engine and same settings. That's Morinis for you! They are all different it seems but once right they should be a more predictable starter than most Velos. I say most Velos as a lot of them now seem to be fitted with a BTH electronic mag and sometimes even electric starters! 8)
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

martinaccarter wrote: 30 Mar 2023 15:25 A friend of mine mentioned float bowl levels which I didn’t check so I’m going to whip the carbs off again and I’ll double check the chokes at that time
Thanks

Martin
Yes, worth getting the float heights/fuel levels right too.
martinaccarter

Post by martinaccarter »

I’m afraid I have to admit Steve that I am a member of the BTH magneto electric start brigade!! It was my Velo, however, that brought me to the Morini world - last year me and the missus trailered the Velo to Milan and then rode it down to Taranto - about 1200 miles - in the Milano/Taranto rally. On the last day we rode out of Bari and I came alongside an immaculate 3 1/2 Sport. My mind whizzed back to 1975 when I was 17 and totally smitten by the 3 1/2. I thought ‘I HAVE to get one!’ And so I started to look on subito.it and found in Ravenna my silver 1977 Strada - two owners and 4000kms from new. It’s like it’s been in a museum all it’s life. And now, it’s a bit of a struggle to get passionate about the Velo, despite its great achievement, when I am the lucky owner of a treasure from Bologna!!
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

I wouldn't be afraid of admitting that! Velos are fine by me and one or two others in this club. Also, that BTH mag you have may never have happened if I hadn't pestered the two inventors into doing it. The mag on my Matchless single was getting tired and at the time I was sharing some workspace with a chap making electronic systems for various classic trials and racing machines. Just down the corridor was a small precision engineering shop owned by another friend. He would (and still does) dream up little projects like casting up and machining crankcases to take top ends from various Ariels/Norton singles etc. Up till then he'd been modifying Boyer ignitions to suit his bikes but after months of arm twisting and blackmail I got the ignition chap and the engineering genius to collaborate on an electronic magneto to fit my G80. It was an instant success from the 1st prototype. After the intial test bed (my bike) was fitted with the system covered by a tin shield that looked like a miniature Nissen hut, I was ordered to do the test miles in as poor conditions as I could find. They then got on with designing a cast body to take the magic bits. First were platform mags for singles, then flange mount for singles and twins and also a few oddballs as well. I of course benefitted with a gifted mag for mine. Then I bought several more for various bikes and fitted them to customers bikes. The inventors bought the BTH name rights and after a few year were ready to retire and sold the BTH mag business to the man behind Grove classics (and a couple of other firms) I think Velos were one of the first marques to benefit from these mags. Vincents seem to like them too. I just want one for my Scott now!
Also, onsome days you just fancy a different style of ride. Sometimes it's the grin inducing Morini and others it's the Velo with it's own grin making features.
martinaccarter

Post by martinaccarter »

That’s a truly fascinating story Steve! Thanks for sharing it here although it should probably be in a book as well! You are dead right about differences between bikes and riding experiences. The Velos have stood the test of time for a reason and it’s always a joy to jump on a 1950s bike that feels as planted and relaxed as many a modern machine. On the other hand, I’m endlessly amazed by the flexibility of my Strada. The 6 speed gearbox says it all. And when the engine’s turned off it becomes a veritable piece of street art
70sbikes

Post by 70sbikes »

On my 1976 3 1/2 Sport (fitted with Mikuni carburetors) I start from cold as follows. Ignition on until I'm sure the float bowls are full. Ignition off, chokes on, and several "priming" kicks. Chokes off, wait ten seconds or so, ignition on, kick until she starts.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

On my later Sport I turn the key and put left hand choke on, flip out the kickstart and kick it once, or if feeling lazy press the starter button. Either way it fires up immediately. Choke off in short order and away. Been that way since 2008, give or take a starter rebuild now and again. Now if I could master kicking the 507 from cold ......
Fastmongrel

Post by Fastmongrel »

I need both chokes on for a cold start but I have to be ready to flip one choke off straight away or it will rev at 5,000rpm. On one choke it's revving at 2,000rpm. Engine needs choke on for about 3 miles to stop it stalling at junctions.
1981 3 1/2 Strada
norbert

Post by norbert »

Fastmongrel wrote: 20 Apr 2023 14:20 I need both chokes on for a cold start but I have to be ready to flip one choke off straight away or it will rev at 5,000rpm. On one choke it's revving at 2,000rpm. Engine needs choke on for about 3 miles to stop it stalling at junctions.
One of my 501 needs the same procedure, both choke, one kick, first choke off inmediately, only that I can take off the second choke allready after about 1 km