Ive bought an early 3 1/2 Sport !

The 3 1/2 forum
rossguzzi

Ive bought an early 3 1/2 Sport !

Post by rossguzzi »

But now the wait begins.
You see I`m in Perth, West Australia and the bike is in the UK !
A little history. My first Morini was around 35 years ago. A great little 125 Corsaro Special. Then a little later a 3 1/2 wire wheel, 1 disc Sport. Years later another 3 1/2 Sport like the first.
Then in 2018 I bought a 500 Camel. Joined this forum, rode it in the outback, got lots of great info from this forum (thanks !)
I have always kind of regretted selling all of them. Very recently I got the urge to look for another one. As there is not many here on the western side of OZ and even on the more populated east coast, I was just browsing what was for sale overseas.
Well I was lucky to find a 1975 3 1/2 drum, wire wheel Sport. In fact it is the bike in Paul Comptons video 9 part series '1975 Sport recomission part 1'
Im sure I will be asking questions etc back here on this great forum.
Another adventure begins.
Bike was picked up on Friday........
rossguzzi

Re: Ive bought an early 3 1/2 Sport !

Post by rossguzzi »

Loaded for the big trip !
Ok, first question, Hagons, originals or Ikons ?
Attachments
IMG-20231117-WA0024 (1).jpg
IMG-20231117-WA0024 (1).jpg (343.62 KiB) Viewed 3575 times
70sbikes

Post by 70sbikes »

As there is not many here on the western side of OZ and even on the more populated east coast
I'm Secretary of the Classic Italian Motorcycle Association of Australia (Vic) Inc, and as such, I maintain the register of bikes on a club permit. There are 19 Morini motorcycles currently on the register in Victoria:

3 1/2 Sport - 7
3 1/2 Strada - 6
Excalibur - 1
500 Sei - 2
Camel - 2
Corsaro - 1

Not bad for a somewhat obscure make!

Trevor
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Hi Trevor,
I use to be a member, long time ago. I may well join again even though I am in Perth.
Cheers.
RedVee

Post by RedVee »

Ooh! she looks pretty! :D
Morinis & Motorcycles - Is there anything else?
Fastmongrel

Post by Fastmongrel »

She does look good
1981 3 1/2 Strada
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Finally arrived 4 days ago. Had to go round the bottom of Africa because of the dramahs in the red sea.
Been working on it since arriving. Took it to get it inspected just now, but because of no engine number, it need another round of emails/approvals.
Ran it on the freeway to get there and back and she runs sweet.
Ive done belt, oil change, general cleaning, adjusting etc.
She has what they call Patina. fair enough, she is 50 this year and never done up. It is the one in Paul Compton`s youtube '1975 Sport Recomission '
All up, very happy with it. I may just put some higher bars on it though. I have a Strada top clamp and some clubman type bars should do the trick. I would then just need to get the gauges mounted. A fellow in the forum faxed me a tracing of the 2 pieces needed. I just need to get some sheet alloy and cut them out.
So for now she sits in the shed until Licencing decide on the engine number dilemma.

Stay tuned.
huub

Post by huub »

you might look for guzzi le mans /lario/imola2 clipons , they are just a bit higher, getting the handlebars above the top clamp without ruining the looks.
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Thanks for the tip. There is a Guzzi expert here in Perth. I will give Mario a call tomorrow morning.
Cheers
scbond2@yahoo.co.uk

Post by scbond2@yahoo.co.uk »

I got a strada yoke and put vincent straights on (replica!) No other changes needed.
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

As I’m sure you are aware, most Morini didn’t have engine numbers.

Some export markets had numbers stamped, and when done they were usually (not always) in the vicinity of the rear engine mount. Number would be the frame number, minus the model designation prefix, so just a string of 5 numbers or so, in between stars.

Could you just stamp yours. It’s what the factory would have done…

Here’s one I have on the bench currently (sorry for the resolution it’s a zoomed in crop of a larger photo
Attachments
IMG_8945.jpeg
IMG_8945.jpeg (172.71 KiB) Viewed 49 times
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

Tarozzi adjustable clip-ons can put the bars level with the fork tops without looking out of place or needing anything else changing.